Media New Chimaev interview: confirms head-hunted for 300, weight cut to 170 stopped it, ready to do it with a camp

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

I know that now you're staying in Dubai, not having to deal with all this cold here, how does it feel to be back in Sweden?

Always nice going back to home, Stockholm will always be my home. I started here so I always go back and forth. I live there in Dubai,
but I always want to come here and train, and do the things I did before.

What can you tell me about the training in Dubai, what's it like there? What kind of training partners are you going with?

A lot of different sparring partners, coming and going. You know from England, and from around the world. The place is like new for everyone
so everyone wants to be there. A lot of Russian fighters as well, so it's always good sparring.

We're here now for FCR 19, and you had some of your very first fights in FCR both as an amateur and pro. When you had your fight with Khaled Laallam,
it was very basic with little kids playing around and now look. FCR has come to, like, Quality Hotel Friends. It's a huge change, you saw it from the beginning and now
it's becoming something big, what's it like to see from the outside?

It's nice. You know, I grew up in this organization and showed for the first time who I am here. So it's nice to see. I am growing, the organization
where I started is growing as well. So it's good for me and good for the organization, so happy. Happy for the guys.

Let's check out some of the fights where some of your teammates are competing. Zelim Zubairaev against the finnish boxer Mika Kallio. How do you look at that fight?

Actually, Zelim is like, starting to surprise us now in the trainings as well. He's become stronger and stronger, lifting the weights. A good physical, stronger
guy now. And before he's been having good striking, background in taekwon-do. And we work on the grappling as well, so he looks good now. It should be an
easy fight for him.

And Baissangour Makaev is really becoming a star on the Swedish scene. Getting more and more momentum and wins. Facing Erik Wahrolen who is a really good grappler,
and they have trained together a bit before. How do you look at that fight, a little bit strange that it's former training partners?

Yeah, but it's still sports, you know. A lot of guys, like me and Naib [Ilaldayev/Itaev] sitting here, we were competing in wrestling as well before. We're always being
friends, you know, always been brothers and in sports you'll always meet guys you know as well. And it's nothing strange with that. I think both want to fight and have
a nice day. Or how you should say it, for fighters to compete is a good day. To learn something, win or loss it's always a win so. But Baissangour has been training so
hard now, he's had good pictures in looking at Guram and almost has Guram's style in the striking, trying to be like him. Some wrestling skills he has taken from me
as well. He's good and has a good future, he's gotta keep training like he's doing now and he's gonna be a big star.

Obviously nothing is sure right now, but everyone wants to see you back in the cage. In a perfect world, when do you think you'll be back in the cage?

In the summer. I think I'll be back in the summer as I want to fight in Saudi Arabia, but, so I don't think anyone wants to fight me there. So we'll see what's gonna happen,
just waiting for... something. And they wanted me at UFC 300 but I said it's a bit too short of time getting down to 77 kg [170 lbs], so I'll need a bit of time for that.

So that's true they asked you to fight Leon Edwards?

*Sigh* It wasn't a 100% sure, but they talked. My manager said maybe. My brother said to me, like, not in Ramadan. So after that I'll take the time for a camp and can fight anyone.

UFC just dicking this guy around. Force him to 185 then try to get him back to 170 for a title fight so they don't have to give it to Belal

What a clownshow the UFC is
its to the point where i have to wonder if Khamzat did or said something beyond the weight miss vs Diaz that pissed Dana off.
300 is lacking hard.

its to the point where i have to wonder if Khamzat did or said something beyond the weight miss vs Diaz that pissed Dana off.
300 is lacking hard.
300 is one of the best cards ever put together, period. Every fight could headline a fight night or any one of the top 4 fights could headline PPV. The hate and criticism has become so over the top ridiculous. The only way it could've been bigger is if Mac vs Chandler was the headliner. I think Dana is a clown and I hate listening to him, I hate his smug attitude, I hate how he acts like a child when he's asked tough questions. I think he's a trash human being,......but he delivered on this card

Can't trust him with weight cut, fighting ability in the US, and Belal should not be skipped.
It’s crazy because I know most people don’t even consider Belal a major threat so they could’ve had Edward’s do a routine title defence and we’d already be past this weird perfect WW title fight Dana seems to want.

I do believe Belal is good enough to win the belt but this has to be the oddest delay for a title fight despite both deserving parties being completely ready.

However you feel about Khamzat as a person it really is just a fucking shame how the situation turned out. He’s obviously not able to get a visa/allowed to fight in the USA because of his Kadyrov association.

Dude entered the promotion shattering records, destroying every opponent except his last 2 (which are animals in their own right), then got mixed up into bullshit politics and now can’t fight on 95% of the cards. Opponents were already ducking him and now it’s even harder for him to get a fight.

Sad thing is, it’s probably not even his fault. If you’re a Chechen you’re not in a position to say no to Kadyrov cause he’ll just make life miserable for you or your family if he doesn’t get his way.

<JerryWWF>

I’m not buying the weight cut excuse at all. There’s too much fuckery going on. USA ain’t letting him in is the only rational explanation.

He can fight twice this year easily - Once in Saudi and Once in UAE. He shouldn't have any Visa issues at those places. If he doesn't fight in those two places, he obviously doesn't want to fight, as Dana White would say.

Wants to fight in Saudis, or can only fight in there and UAE?

Back