New to supplements, need recommendations....

neil_totally

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
after a layoff from mma training of about 9 years, and a layoff of working out at all of about 2.5, I'm getting back into Thai, bjj and mma as of last week.

I've never taken workout supplements before, so don't really know where to start.

What recommendations do you all have for standard recovery after a workout? I'm currently not too interested in gains, and don't really plan on any weightlifting aside from any that can benefit the bjj/kickboxing/cardio training. My main goal is to be able to train hard for a couple hours a day, and recover quickly enough that I can go back to the same training either the next day or the day after, without feeling like I'm killing myself. I know this will also come in time with me getting back in the rhythm of training, but any supplements I can take after a workout to speed up recovery time?

Also recommendations for preworkout supps and snacks are greatly appreciated too! Currently it's a couple eggs and some fruit an hour or two before working out but that's it.

Thanks!

Creatine intraworkout for muay thai/bjj. I find it better than taking before or after , just mi it with dextrose (powered gatorade).

This is really the only thing i use other than BCAA's when cutting.

Look at your diet and count macros 1st. Supplements are meant to...well supplement.

I would of course start with a pre workout, a protein and a post work out. Like the dude above said BCAA and most recover powders work well.

I can be a fat ass. Im proned to wanting to sneak snacks and treats at night. Casein has helped me out a lot. Four scoops of that you will sleep like a rock.

Focus on diet, and macs
A pwo
Tons of water

Maybe wait a month or so till you start adding protein. You could by accident put weight on, if you don't burn enough calories during workout. Try hard not to replace meals with protein, early on.

I would also score some probioctics. Your brain and gut could become upset with the change in diet. If you're a sugar junky, get ready for a month of shitty moods and withdraws. It sounds fucked up, but i have had sugar withdraws and i almost felt physically ill. Oddly a bong hit or two would straighten me out and i talked myself out sugar needs.

@Curl
yeah the water and diet things are coming along, and I know they'll help. As I said, I've never taken supplements before, even back when I trained and competed proper, so I'm just super cautious of taking anything that's going to help/make me build muscle over getting leaner, which is really all I want, so I'll stay away from the protein supps for sure. Once my gym is fully fitted out (it's currently only a store front with basic equipment for sparring-based workouts) in a few weeks I'll be trying to do some straight up cardio before or after the fight-based workout, so that might be the time to add in the protein.

Any probiotics you recommend? Or are they, as I think, all the same?

@Curl

Don't take probiotics. It's a waste of fucking money. Things that work:

Creatine
Fish oil
Multi vitamin
Protein powder

Preworkout is good if you're tired, but honestly a coffee will suffice. I just like the tingle in my nips I get from a preworkout.

@Curl
yeah the water and diet things are coming along, and I know they'll help. As I said, I've never taken supplements before, even back when I trained and competed proper, so I'm just super cautious of taking anything that's going to help/make me build muscle over getting leaner, which is really all I want, so I'll stay away from the protein supps for sure. Once my gym is fully fitted out (it's currently only a store front with basic equipment for sparring-based workouts) in a few weeks I'll be trying to do some straight up cardio before or after the fight-based workout, so that might be the time to add in the protein.

Im not sure of anything new is out for probioctics. I like the older drinks, Kiefer,
Don't take probiotics. It's a waste of fucking money. Things that work:

Creatine
Fish oil
Multi vitamin
Protein powder

Preworkout is good if you're tired, but honestly a coffee will suffice. I just like the tingle in my nips I get from a preworkout.
Have anything backing that probioctics dont work ?

Im not sure of anything new is out for probioctics. I like the older drinks, Kiefer,

Have anything backing that probioctics dont work ?

Apparently if you use the F word.....it's all the backing you need....apparently......

Back