Ngannou is showing this guys how to make business

Francis gonna become one of those athletes who ends up broke ten years later because some sleezy manager scammed him out of millions

The only way you gonna do good money in the ufc is if they need you, not the contrary. Him opting to not renew his contract is a brilliant move, imagine if he wins this match againt gane and after the other fight he has to take bacause of his contract he goes away. He basically has the ufc by the balls and the premiere mma organization in the world woudn't have the badest man on the planet on their roster, fighters need to learn from this, make shorter term contracts and show the ufc that they need you and not the contrary.
Did the UFC lose its Champions auto renewal clause?

Imagine that a week away from 2022.. people still don’t understand what a “contract” is? Or what the champion clause is?

Ngannou hasn’t sold one single ppv as the champion headliner yet. And he thinks he has the upper hand on the UFC?? I’m pretty sure they let him know his place when they made an alternate champion. Or did you miss that part?

I’m fine with people getting paid what they are worth. But the UFC made it perfectly clear that his worth to them is minimal. He’s fought 4 times in the last 3 calender years. And you think he’s making the UFC money? Meanwhile Gane fought 3 times in 2021.

Ngannou was getting a serious push from the UFC before he fought Stipe the first time. It was obvious the UFC was clearing the road for him to be a big star. And he decided to bail on TC, and go on a holiday instead. Then he got embarrassed by Stipe. And to make matters worse, he put on a stinker of the decade performance against Lewis in his next fight.

He literally passed up fights in the last 2 years including a ppv cut. I’m not a business school grad. But, you can’t be a very unknown proven commodity like Ngannou and expect to get paid by showing up once per year.

Wash his balls all you want. But, the sooner he’s out of the UFC the better.

Active champ, my ass.
Agreed. I lost interest in Francis a long time ago and I think others have too. I watched the first Stipe fight on PPV and his fight against Lewis (which obviously was horrible) and have used Fight Pass to watch his old fight against Blaydes. Beyond that he isn't that interesting and no more exciting that any other current figher that is more active.

Yeah just one more fight. He could vacate the belt and just fight his last fight.
He can’t just vacate the belt to get out of his contractual obligations.

Yes GSP and Khabib still have fights on their contract so it's not the same as Ngannou who's contract only got extended due to turning down a fight that he couldn't accept due to visa issues. Dana has already spoke on this, it's clear they haven't come to terms and they have accepted that Ngannou is most likely going to be a free agent and probably crossing over to boxing.
I’m sick of this “visa issue” excuse. The man said right in the octagon that he was ready to fight Jones for what he thought was “big money” within a cpl of months after he became champion.

But, apparently these “visa issues” only popped up when he was asked to defend against a guy in that guy’s hometown. Who btw actually beat him already.

I’m sorry but you Ngannou apologists make me sick. He’s an inactive duck, and a massive diva.

Check the records, ffs. He isn’t fighting because he doesn’t want to. He’s only looking to get paid, while showing up only once per year.

Active champ, my ass.

I believe there's a champion's clause in place if he wins, yes? Hopefully more knowledgeable people than myself will chime in on the details here, but I'm not sure he's off the hook if he wins
I was curious about this. Why can't he just vacate the belt to avoid being beholden to the champions clause?

He can always take the fight and just tap out at the start of the fight. It'd be a middle finger to the UFC and at this point only the people that bought the PPV would be pissed.

What happens if he refuses to fight? Will the UFC create an "interim" title for 5 years while Ngannou as champion just sits out?

It would have been a brilliant move if he wasnt making the negotiations public. This shit happens all the time but smarter fighters keep the talks quiet and deals often get made without us ever knowing about it. Even Nate who complains all the time was dead silent before his deal got struck.

Ngannou likely has a 3 fight or one year automatic extension when his current deal ends if he is champion.

This has been covered in the class action lawsuit, good Forbes article here.

It is also worth noting the class action revealed despicable tactics the UFC uses to coerce fighters into resigning.

Ngannou himself has gone into some detail how they forced a contract extension on him by sending a bout agreement for which he could not get a visa in time, and announcing the interim belt apropos of nothing to pressure him.

He is right to fight out his contract and he's absolutely right to shine a light on the slimy stuff the UFC does to abuse and exploit fighters.

Dude is getting punched in the head for a living. Yes he mostly just smashed dudes but then there is fights like first Stipe fight when he ate a bunch of punches thrown by a dude who is far from pillow fisted. He should get the most amount of money he can, how many guys made themselves half brain dead and ended up broke fighting for chump change? I will never fault a fighter for wanting to get paid.

I’m sick of this “visa issue” excuse. The man said right in the octagon that he was ready to fight Jones for what he thought was “big money” within a cpl of months after he became champion.

But, apparently these “visa issues” only popped up when he was asked to defend against a guy in that guy’s hometown. Who btw actually beat him already.

I’m sorry but you Ngannou apologists make me sick. He’s an inactive duck, and a massive diva.

Check the records, ffs. He isn’t fighting because he doesn’t want to. He’s only looking to get paid, while showing up only once per year.

Active champ, my ass.
Saying he was ready to fight Jones there wasn't a date specified lol. He would still have to deal with his visa issues. Most likely UFC offering the fight during the time he wasn't able to fight due to him renewing his visa and giving an interim title right after he just won the belt is most likely the reason Ngannou is choosing to part ways. UFC most likely lost him with that tactic.

He fulfilled his contract obligations, these are extensions only for being the champion. Extensions are gone if he vacates the belt.

Imagine that a week away from 2022.. people still don’t understand what a “contract” is? Or what the champion clause is?

I'm not sure if anyone in this thread said specifically they don't understand what a "contract" is. And how many MMA fans, when asked, are going to enumerate the legal stipulations of the champion's clause? It's obviously information that Dana and the UFC want to avoid talking about wherever possible, and for that reason, it's not something I would hold against anyone if they didn't know it?

If he beats gane. In his next title defense. Instantly tap as soon as the bell rings. Give up the belt. Cause a lot of drama. And get ur contract. Win win.

One thing about Ngannou, he knows how to look out for number one. He left his people and invaded Europe, then dumped his coach and put him on ignore, and now is ready to walk from the organization which made him a name.

He fulfilled his contract obligations, these are extensions only for being the champion. Extensions are gone if he vacates the belt.
He can’t just vacate the belt. It doesn’t work that way. You can’t just say you’re not champ anymore and it makes it all go away…

Ngannou hasn’t sold one single ppv as the champion headliner yet. And he thinks he has the upper hand on the UFC?? I’m pretty sure they let him know his place when they made an alternate champion. Or did you miss that part?

I’m fine with people getting paid what they are worth. But the UFC made it perfectly clear that his worth to them is minimal. He’s fought 4 times in the last 3 calender years. And you think he’s making the UFC money? Meanwhile Gane fought 3 times in 2021.

Ngannou was getting a serious push from the UFC before he fought Stipe the first time. It was obvious the UFC was clearing the road for him to be a big star. And he decided to bail on TC, and go on a holiday instead. Then he got embarrassed by Stipe. And to make matters worse, he put on a stinker of the decade performance against Lewis in his next fight.

He literally passed up fights in the last 2 years including a ppv cut. I’m not a business school grad. But, you can’t be a very unknown proven commodity like Ngannou and expect to get paid by showing up once per year.

Wash his balls all you want. But, the sooner he’s out of the UFC the better.

Active champ, my ass.
Wow, you got up on the wrong foot today.

After losing to Lewis he went on a 4 fight killing spree, earned his titleshot, and had to wait for DC and Stipe's never ending trilogy to finish. That's why he didn't fight more.

Also, the interim was complete bullshit. He won the belt in March, and said he was good for september. He denied august, and they created a belt. Meanwhile, Jan fought in september after winning in March. Izzy didnt fight between september and March. Plenty of examples.

I don't get why you're so pissed. Frank must've fucked your wife or something

Back