Ngannou would have KOed Fedor, Nog and Cro Cop in their primes

I'd give cro cop a very good chance at KOing Ngannou's face forward, hands down style of throwing punches, and same with Fedor. Don't forget a prime Nog's boxing was very very good as well, and he was technically sound on his feet. Also had a granite chin like no other during his PRIDE run.

I give ngannou a solid chance of beating them all on any given night, but give those 3 legends the overall advantage in a fantasy match up.

Francis certainly has incredible power in his hands. However, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that his TDD has improved since the fight against Stipe. We will only know this once he faces someone who tests it (e.g. Stipe or DC)

I think Big Nog matches up the worst out of the fighters you mentioned. I believe Francis would KO him before Nog could get it to the ground.

Prime Cro Cop vs Francis would be a fascinating fight, in terms of punching vs kicking. I'd favour Francis in that match up.

In his prime, Fedor would have Francis on his back within the first 30 seconds of the fight. He'd also do a LOT more damage than Stipe did once he got him to the ground. Fedor would most likely GnP until a sub opportunity (e.g. armbar) became available.

To sum up my thoughts, Francis would have the potential to KO any fighter who has ever lived, given the fact that every fight starts standing. Elite fighters such as Fedor and Stipe would always be good enough to take things to the ground.

If Fedor doesn't KO him with a counter while Ngannou is coming in throwing 50% garbage, he trips him to the ground and mauls him.
The garbage Ngannou throws still drops people. His punches are so powerful he does not need to land cleanly to KO someone out.

Francis is like 260+ and those legendary 3 were small HW for todays UFC standards...Fedor was biggest from the three.
Prime CC is smaller than Paulo Costa...but pound for pound all three of them are on a different planet than that Nguno guy.

Francis certainly has incredible power in his hands. However, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that his TDD has improved since the fight against Stipe. We will only know this once he faces someone who tests it (e.g. Stipe or DC)

I think Big Nog matches up the worst out of the fighters you mentioned. I believe Francis would KO him before Nog could get it to the ground.

Prime Cro Cop vs Francis would be a fascinating fight, in terms of punching vs kicking. I'd favour Francis in that match up.

In his prime, Fedor would have Francis on his back within the first 30 seconds of the fight. He'd also do a LOT more damage than Stipe did once he got him to the ground. Fedor would most likely GnP until a sub opportunity (e.g. armbar) became available.

To sum up my thoughts, Francis would have the potential to KO any fighter who has ever lived, given the fact that every fight starts standing. Elite fighters such as Fedor and Stipe would always be good enough to take things to the ground.

The people I think would give Francis Ngannou the most trouble in Pride are Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman because they would put him on his back.

Ngannou would be a bad matchup for Nog. Nog was always hittable, which is a bad recipe against Ngannou.

Crocop would be a bad matchup for Ngannou. CroCop was far more technical, especially in terms of footwork. He'd likely dance around Ngannou, peppering him with shots, until Ngannou gassed (especially if it's a 10 minute first round). At that point, Ngannou would become a punching bag.

Fedor would be an interesting matchup. I'd favor Fedor because he was much faster and more technical on the feet, and simply had more tools to win, but I'd give Ngannou a decent chance of catching him with a big shot.

Back