Nightforce scopes

spamking

The world is your Indian taco
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone own one? My brother has a couple and my BIL has one he loves. I haven't really been able to justify spending that much on a scope, but with my pending retirement and new job coming up next month I will possibly be in the market for one.

If you're not a fan of Nightforce what alternatives would you recommend?

I have a 1-8x24 atacr
I've used the 4-16 and 5-25 atacr's

They're nice but what are you looking for and what's the budget?

I'd probably try to stay under $1500, but might go a little over that if needed. Looking to try and get a long-range rifle in the works. Thinking about pairing the scope with something from Christensen Arms.

My BIL has one that he's been using to take out hogs from his front porch lately. 500 yard shots are pretty common for him.

I haven't really been able to justify spending that much on a scope,

<PlusJuan> That right there.

I have Burris, I have Vortex, I have Weaver and Bushnell.

I always buy when there's a sale of some sort too.

What's a gouge nowadays is that you can get a deal on a 34mm tube scope, but then get ripped a new one on the rings!

<PlusJuan> That right there.

I have Burris, I have Vortex, I have Weaver and Bushnell.

I always buy when there's a sale of some sort too.

What's a gouge nowadays is that you can get a deal on a 34mm tube scope, but then get ripped a new one on the rings!

I'm partial to Vortex and Leupold scopes. Everyone claims the view from those vs a Nightforce scope is like SD to 4K or something. Since I've got access to wholesale prices I might be able to get a little more scope for less, but I still might have a hard time spending that much. :)

I'm partial to Vortex and Leupold scopes. Everyone claims the view from those vs a Nightforce scope is like SD to 4K or something. Since I've got access to wholesale prices I might be able to get a little more scope for less, but I still might have a hard time spending that much. :)

Exactly.

My opinion:
Sometimes deals come up. I bought a weaver scope, (made in Japan) $598 Marked down from $1200. Just recently got a Burris 6-40X for $514 marked down from $1000 or whatever it was. Bother were worth what I paid for them. Would've felt fucked at list price. Unless its a 100X March Scope that makes 1000 yards look like 100, I'm sticking with the cheaper shit. Yes, the field of view is worse on cheaper scopes, (not all, but most) Yes the lenses used are a little less. But if the price is right, the adjustments track and it has a reticle I like, its win. I've been on the line with guys shooting way better shit than me at 1000 yards and I've matched their shots. I got beat in a 22 match once by a chick with a POS ruger precision 22, (the plastic one that looks like their precision line) with a $3000 US Optics scope, cause my Weaver Tacticle ran out of elevation, and I had to loose 2 hits at 350 yards to figure out where the fuck to hold.

Some of the $500-$900 scopes I've seen match some of the $2000 scopes lately.

You know, these types of reticles are useful, to a point.

Yes they do give you all your zeros right there, but on the other hand, they're busy at hell. And on a FFP scope, you're kinda capped at 25X, because if you magnify more you start to loose holdover.

They're good for 22s though.

vortex-razor-gen-ii-4-5-27x56-riflescope-horus-tremor3-ffp-reticle-mrad-1.png

Exactly.

My opinion:
Sometimes deals come up. I bought a weaver scope, (made in Japan) $598 Marked down from $1200. Just recently got a Burris 6-40X for $514 marked down from $1000 or whatever it was. Bother were worth what I paid for them. Would've felt fucked at list price. Unless its a 100X March Scope that makes 1000 yards look like 100, I'm sticking with the cheaper shit. Yes, the field of view is worse on cheaper scopes, (not all, but most) Yes the lenses used are a little less. But if the price is right, the adjustments track and it has a reticle I like, its win. I've been on the line with guys shooting way better shit than me at 1000 yards and I've matched their shots. I got beat in a 22 match once by a chick with a POS ruger precision 22, (the plastic one that looks like their precision line) with a $3000 US Optics scope, cause my Weaver Tacticle ran out of elevation, and I had to loose 2 hits at 350 yards to figure out where the fuck to hold.

You know, these types of reticles are useful, to a point.

Yes they do give you all your zeros right there, but on the other hand, they're busy at hell. And on a FFP scope, you're kinda capped at 25X, because if you magnify more you start to loose holdover.

They're good for 22s though.

vortex-razor-gen-ii-4-5-27x56-riflescope-horus-tremor3-ffp-reticle-mrad-1.png

I'm smarter for having read all that.

Do you have a top 4 or 5 in this price range that you'd recommend? This scope will likely go on a 6.5 Creedmor but depending on how I like it, I might also put one on a .308.

Do you have a top 4 or 5 in this price range that you'd recommend? This scope will likely go on a 6.5 Creedmor but depending on how I like it, I might also put one on a .308.

I got the 30mm tube version of this on my 6.5 and It does really well. I have this 34 mm version sitting by for a 300 PRC. (soon as I get another set of over priced rings)

I got mine in MOA, simply because I've shot so many years using MOA its a scale that's ingrained in my head. Don't have to think about it. MRADS, just not for me.
Other people like them. They get you further out there faster.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Venom-5-25x56-Riflescope/dp/B095PQ4L45?th=1

Here's the last time I shot.

https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/170710494/

I'm sure there's better, but this Venom is a great all rounder. My Opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of the NX8/NXS series or Christensen. I've seen a lot of qc issues with Christensen. I have a friend that bought their titanium lightweight hunting rifles. Screws were loose, didn't shoot well, etc. Spent some time googling more about them and found thread after thread.

If you can stretch the budget the Leupold MK5 is fantastic.

Under budget the Burrus XTR III 5-25 is very good for the price. Vortex LHT 4.5-22 is good. Trijicon tenmile 4.5-30 can be found around your budget. If you don't mind used or the scope being a heavy pig the Vortex razor gen 2 4.5-27 is great.

Imo the nx8/nxs series is over priced. If you can get into an atacr they are phenomenal.

I've seen a lot of qc issues with Christensen.

I've sold 3 to different people, but I've never shot one. My BIL has a couple and hasn't reported any issues, but he may have just dealt with them if they impacted his shooting.

I've sold 3 to different people, but I've never shot one. My BIL has a couple and hasn't reported any issues, but he may have just dealt with them if they impacted his shooting.

What's BIL ?

Back