Ninjitsu go dan test

I participated in such tests and know some of the people. It kind of pains me to say this as for some years I trained Ninjutsu and we trained very hard but this test is nonsense and simply doesnt work. Especially like that.

Before the 90s they made the test and either you rolled out of it or you had at best a concussion. Then when Hatsumi (the soke who holds the sword) lowered all standards to a pathetic point ($) more and more they made a gimmick out of it like what you see here. He flooded NInjutsu with fatty blackbelt westerners who cosplayed Ninjas with no physical demands anymore.

Back then I believed in the test in that if I would only be experienced enough I would simply know when he would hit. Nowadays with much more experience. No sorry it was a gimmick. I do know from mountaneering that when in live or die situations our senses are heightened to a point were we "feel" much more and maybe than its possible like in battle, but you cant simulate it and you cant put someone with a live sword there who kills all people who dont pass:D (that may have been the ancient version as was told). If the person holding the sword has intent and will to kill yes I agree an experienced person may react acordingly. But well its always a risk.

I know that one of my teachers who was one of the first foreign students of Hatsumi did the test with a sharp steel sword. That had to be early/mind 80s.

When we trained Katana / Sword fighting all drills were done with wodden swords but if you were at a certain point we started training with real swords. Takes a lot of discipline and technical skill. Still injured myself quite bloody one time:)

Most teachers back then had no competence at all regarding fighting but there were some very tough badasses. Near all were ex military to my knowledge. Some out of Germany (few) and Ireland/England/Scottland/Netherlands. United States near 100% cosplay dummies.

Later on many practitioners who wanted to train serious and disagreed with handing out McDojo belts split from hombu dojo in Japan but these were few and I dont know if anyone of them still does train.

Nowadays every Ninjutsu group I know of in my area are esoteric loosers who would die if a squirrel attacks them.

At its height when I trained it Ninjutsu incorporated boxing (very crude ineffective version), Judo, Kicks, weapons and clinch fight with joint locks and fantastic technical variability. The rolling and falling training was a lot more skilled than even in Judo and Aikido and physical training was at competitive to pro sports level. Really was a great martial art!
did you ever learn how to disappear in a puff of smoke? I kept wondering why these people didn't do that as that is one of the most useful ninja skillz.

did you ever learn how to disappear in a puff of smoke? I kept wondering why these people didn't do that as that is one of the most useful ninja skillz.

No, but some of us did smoke cigarettes and puffed cigars after training. Does this count as Ninja warfare?

well, if you're talking about smell, hearing, touch, and taste, none of those will really help you here...

Training swords make an audible whoosh when they're swung, so yes, hearing.

They also generate wind that you can feel, so yes, touch.

If the mat is anything like the soft training mats that are very common in many gyms, it's entirely possible you'd feel the weight transfer of a guy directly behind you as he swings the sword - so yes, also touch.

It's kind of a ridiculous activity, but some of those guys were doing a fair job of sensing something coming.

Sensing, not juju.

If the mat is anything like the soft training mats that are very common in many gyms, it's entirely possible you'd feel the weight transfer of a guy directly behind you as he swings the sword - so yes, also touch.

It's kind of a ridiculous activity, but some of those guys were doing a fair job of sensing something coming.

Sensing, not juju.
lmao, by the time you hear that whoosh you're already hit at the speeds it takes to create that whoosh...oh ok, so train a skill that's only really relevant in a training environment where you can make everyone be silent to hear a whoosh, and where you can feel the person's shift in weight...possibly. that's the funniest bullshit i've heard all week.

If he raised sword and initially does nothnig, in this moment there no any sound. He can keep calm like statue for 2 sec or 2 minutes before next movement.

The same, statue doesn't generates wind.

it's entirely possible you'd feel the weight transfer of a guy directly behind you as he swings the sword - so yes, also touch.

If he have no intent hurt with this exercise, he might not transfer weight at all. There's differences between power hit and demo touch...
All that he should do after keeping rised hand for 2 sec or 2 minutes is just to quickly move hand down…..

If he should walk on mat behind you, then yes, this is enough to feel some vibration….

Oh, the "Sucky" test? Been quite a while since I've seen this.

Because if he actually believes this BS then he actually believes they should be able to magically sense his swing, meaning they’re failing.
If he’s not delusional he just likes the power he gets from people letting him hit them in the head with a wooden sword

Nope not at all. Ninjutsu has nothing to do with "spy". Back then there was one ryu about it but think about it as strategy lessons in todays military. Its hopeless outdated so it doesnt get taught anymore besides in some mumbojumbo groups.

Ninjutsu in itself doesnt even exist. Its a word that incorporates several old ryus (fighting styles) and depending on the focus of that ryu completely different techniques. They date from very different eras of Japans history. The ryus were legit and proven but even when I learned it only some of them were still trained. Others did get lost in time. I do have it all written down somewhere.

There are battle field styles, a jiu jutsu/Judo style...etc.

I did train Shotokan Karate and Judo before changing to Ninjutsu and we had
a good Karate club. Trained f.e. with Marjin Glad one time & was at a Seminar with Sensei Tanaka if you know a little about JKA Karate. Thats why I could compare. Learned worlds more in Ninjutsu.

A certain ninja historian in the bujinkan stated that many statements found in the "old books" were cribbed straight from a ninja writer, Itou Gingetsu, from the 1900's.

And a prolific writer on Japanese samurai issues has this to say:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/530c/a6033ff2379c4837081199ba088111840ebf.pdf

Stephen Turnbull said:
The Ninja: An Invented Tradition?

The ninja is a well known phenomenon in Japanese military culture. The popularity of the tradition is centered on the neighboring areas of Iga and Kōka where ninja are a profitable tourist attraction. This paper examines the historical sources on which the ninja tradition is based to see if the pre-eminence claimed by Iga and Kōka is justified. It is shown that they were no different from several other places in their geography or their politics and that only one reliable account of secret warfare can be identified before 1581, the year when Iga Province ceased to exist as an independent self-governing entity. Secret warfare was practiced throughout Japan but this tiny area of Japan claimed a particular expertise in it and thereby invented a tradition that is still resonant today and now has all the hallmarks of a cult.

Don't get me started on their sparring:

Compare that to this:

When your art is predominantly hands, why the hell is your sparring composed of mostly kicks? <LikeReally5>

Oh, the "Sucky" test? Been quite a while since I've seen this.

A certain ninja historian in the bujinkan stated that many statements found in the "old books" were cribbed straight from a ninja writer, Itou Gingetsu, from the 1900's.

And a prolific writer on Japanese samurai issues has this to say:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/530c/a6033ff2379c4837081199ba088111840ebf.pdf

Don't get me started on their sparring:

Compare that to this:

When your art is predominantly hands, why the hell is your sparring composed of mostly kicks? <LikeReally5>

This hasnt been "my" martial art for a long time. And thanks that you show videos of some loosers doing nonsense. :rolleyes: Next time read what I wrote.

I am only interested in the history of a style to be entertained. It doesnt legitimize or delegitimize anything.
We did not attend history lessons but trained. Most styles taught werent "ninja" based (NInja never existed). No one would tell you he trains "Ninjutsu". It is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and just meant the incorporation of several old styles. Some ineffective and overaged others effective. I will leave it at that.

What we trained was in parts quite good (wrote about that) .

This hasnt been "my" martial art for a long time. And thanks that you show videos of some loosers doing nonsense. :rolleyes: Next time read what I wrote.

I am only interested in the history of a style to be entertained. It doesnt legitimize or delegitimize anything.
We did not attend history lessons but trained. Most styles taught werent "ninja" based (NInja never existed). No one would tell you he trains "Ninjutsu". It is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and just meant the incorporation of several old styles. Some ineffective and overaged others effective. I will leave it at that.

What we trained was in parts quite good (wrote about that) .

Here is the problem:

Aside from the Kuki family line (Kukishin and x-Yoshin), majority of the ryuha are historically suspect, not to mention the 3 ninja ryu. All of them stemmed from Toda Shinryuken, which existence is doubted. At least Sokaku Takeda had left traces of his existence, Toda didn't (how very ninja of him). So how old is "old styles?"

BTW, one of the "loosers" (sic) you're referring to is a Japanese Shihan, one of the inner circle in Japan. And he is the only one (AFAIK) who had the balls to spar and put his videos online, ridiculous as it looks (a gaijin put up his MMA fight video, but deleted the one where he lost. Not much ninja techniques shown there). Did you have the same balls back when you were ninja'ing?

The stuff is very similar to JJJ-- they share like 90% of the same concepts and techniques. It basically is just a branch of the same thing (there are hundreds of branches) I don't know why this thread is getting so heated about nothing.

My advice to anyone that is caught up in the entire "Ninja" thing and "Ninjutsu"

-Get your fix from Ninja books, there is a great amount of true literature
-Visit Japan - still on my go to list

But please, please, please study a real martial art like Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, full contact Karate, Wrestling etc.

You can be a boxing ninja
You can be a wrestling ninja
You can be a judo ninja

just don't be a 70's made up American Ninja trying to learn something called Ninjutsu.

Here is a 2019 real life Japanese Samurai and or Ninja.

Last edited:
lmao, by the time you hear that whoosh you're already hit at the speeds it takes to create that whoosh...oh ok, so train a skill that's only really relevant in a training environment where you can make everyone be silent to hear a whoosh, and where you can feel the person's shift in weight...possibly. that's the funniest bullshit i've heard all week.

So it's possible and legit to see a strike coming and take appropriate defensive measures (par for the course for any trained martial artist) - but god forbid you use other senses to perceive it coming, and suddenly you're in the realm of the supernatural?

I'm not arguing that this exercise isn't a waste of time, only to your original point about 'magical senses'. It's not. I have trained with swords. They are very audible, especially wooden ones in a quiet environment, like in the video.

If you're on tatami or some other type of conductive floor (ie, stiff yet springy material), you could tell if someones moving by their shifts in weight. Rustle of cloth would also be a tell.

Just an old Jap who likes hitting gullible weebs in the head. :D

So it's possible and legit to see a strike coming and take appropriate defensive measures (par for the course for any trained martial artist) - but god forbid you use other senses to perceive it coming, and suddenly you're in the realm of the supernatural?

I'm not arguing that this exercise isn't a waste of time, only to your original point about 'magical senses'. It's not. I have trained with swords. They are very audible, especially wooden ones in a quiet environment, like in the video.
flat out it's not practical, and it's pointless to anything even remotely approaching a real world application. i know exactly how loud a boken is when swung having seen and heard people swing them, and having swung them myself. they're not that loud, a shinai is louder, but still not that loud when swung.

the whole point of my post is that this dude doing the test is likely 100% a sociopathic fraud.

Back