Opinion NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

I listened to npr every commute in and every commute home in the early 2000s. I loved the variety of stories and the...mostly balanced content.

In the 2010s it began to shift and even before trump was in the mix is was intolerable. Haven't listened to it in a while now.

I don't think it's so direct either, but at the same time they're going to cater to the preferences in content that their donors want to hear.
To the extent that there's any catering, it would be toward the audience. But again, I don't think you need any conspiracy. They do the kind of work they think is best, and that attracts an audience, and they get positive feedback from that audience, etc. The same force that draws CTers and ranters to the right. The fact that they get public and donor funding allows them to resist that pull, actually, though they are still pulled toward more high-brow coverage, which these days is left-coded.

Last edited:
What, exactly, would people have wanted done for the laptop thing? Right before the election, the media is supposed to run with dubious claims from a stolen or hacked laptop of a candidate's son? And the writer is totally wrong about the Russia story. And the lab leak started out looking like implausible speculation, and that's where it currently stands. It's possible, but the evidence points pretty strongly against it.

Chait gets into more detail on the Russia thing here:

Except it wasn't dubious

And several former CIA agents claimed it was a hoax...

Which Biden repeated in a debate, knowing full well it was real and was in fact Hunter's, including the business deals in Ukraine and China.

NPR explicitly stated they wouldn't report on it because it might help Trump. Is that not a problem for you? A Tax Payer funded company choosing sides and being biased towards a political party.

And LOL at the Lab claims. Emails show that Fauci and Collins knew it was a distinct possibility, along with a group of their researchers. However, they put together the article “Proximal Origin” to publically denounce any Lab Leak theories... likely due to Fauci's and the NIH's involvement with the Wuhan Lab.

Andersen laid them out plainly in an email to Fauci that same evening. “The unusual features of the virus make up a really small part of the genome (<0.1%) so one has to look really closely at all the sequences to see that some of the features look engineered,” Andersen wrote in the email. “I should mention,” he added, “that after discussions earlier today, Eddie, Bob, Mike and myself all find the genome inconsistent with expectations from evolutionary theory. But we have to look at this much more closely and there are still further analyses to be done, so those opinions could still change.”

After roughly a week of debate and data collection, one of the key figures involved in the deliberations characterized the focus of the group’s work as follows: “to disprove any type of lab theory.” Several of the scientists on the calls and emails then went on to write and publish “Proximal Origin.”

Don't start gaslighting now

These agencies lied to the American Public with help from colluding major media companies like NPR and CNN

To the extent that there's any catering, it would be toward the audience. But again, I don't think you need any conspiracy. They do the kind of work they think is best, and that attracts and audience, and they get positive feedback from that audience, etc. The same force that draws CTers and ranters to the right. The fact that they get public and donor funding allows them to resist that pull, actually, though they are still pulled toward more high-brow coverage, which these days is left-coded.

Well the audience and the donors overlap quite a lot on a ven diagram in NPR's case. Many donations are in the form of matching offers from inviduals donors that are matched or doubled philanthropists or corporations.

NewsMax is so ridiculous. Probably the worst known media outlet in USA.
No argument. Yet they somehow have an audience. As good a sign as any that the biggest element in the death of balanced news is that many people really don't want it. They want NewsMax and the equivalencies on either side of the aisle.

pinocchio-please-lie.png

To the extent that there's any catering, it would be toward the audience. But again, I don't think you need any conspiracy. They do the kind of work they think is best, and that attracts and audience, and they get positive feedback from that audience, etc. The same force that draws CTers and ranters to the right. The fact that they get public and donor funding allows them to resist that pull, actually, though they are still pulled toward more high-brow coverage, which these days is left-coded.
And when you hear of some of the corporate or business donors to your local NPR station it'll be something like a local car dealership or law firm.

Its true that NPR has a center left bias but I think that's mainly because the kind of personality types that enter journalism generally and NPR in particular happen to be center left leaning. More important than any supposed partisan bias to me is journalistic standards and on that end I don't think you can equate NPR with Fox news much less the insanity that you see in the alternative media sphere which skews heavily to the right and has next to no real journalistic standards.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/npr-senior-editor-blasts-lack-201815591.html

National Public Radio has undergone a recent leftward shift that is “devastating both for its journalism and its business model,” writes Uri Berliner, a 25-year NPR veteran and current senior business editor in a scathing, intimately detailed op-ed published Tuesday on The Free Press.

Berliner, who describes himself as a Subaru-driving, Sarah Lawrence-educated “stereotype NPR listener,” gives an intimate account of NPR’s “off the rails” coverage biases – like its continuing refusal to acknowledge the Wuhan lab-leak theory or the Hunter Biden laptop story – to the internal process of meticulously tracking the race, gender and ethnic identities of all interviewees.

“If you are conservative, you will read this and say, ‘Duh, it’s always been this way,'” Berliner writes. “But it hasn’t.”

Berliner notes that as recently as 2011, NPR’s audience self-reported as roughly one-quarter each politically conservative and “middle-of-the-road,” with 37 percent claiming liberal leanings. But by 2023, conservative listeners dwindled to 11 percent, with 21 percent “middle of the road” and 67 percent “very” or “somewhat” liberal.

“An open-minded spirit no longer exists within NPR, and now, predictably, we don’t have an audience that reflects America,” Berliner writes. “That wouldn’t be a problem for an openly polemical news outlet serving a niche audience. But for NPR, which purports to consider all things, it’s devastating both for its journalism and its business model.”

Are we ever getting back to honest reporting and balance of opinions? Its harder and harder to find just the news. It's something I've harped on for a while but when then removed the fairness doctrine and inserted 24hr opinions everything went out the window. There ARE some that look for both sides of a debate and not just feeding me opinions.
I've been telling all my other Subaru driving leftist friends this for quite a while now, only to be mocked and told that I'm being infected by right-wing thought. But it has been obvious to anybody who's been listening that there's been real problems for quite a while now. I used to listen to it daily and now almost never do and I used to donate also and obviously now never do.

I drive a lifted Subaru by the way with better bigger tires lol.

I doubt very much that there's anyone on the staff saying "we should slant our coverage to the left because that's who we're getting donations from."

It's more that the audience is very educated because of the type of programming they put out, and that audience is also pretty affluent.
I don't think that's an accurate reflection of how that works. Soliciting donations requires the donee to court the donor and that often is best done by demonstrating empathy with the positions of the donor. If done frequently enough and if the donors are similar enough in thought, it will lead to an unintentional bias towards the donor's preferential positions on a range of subjects.

We all know this. Obama himself commented on this issue:

I can’t assume that the money chase didn’t alter me in some ways. …

Increasingly I found myself spending time with people of means — law firm partners and investment bankers, hedge fund managers and venture capitalists. As a rule, they were smart, interesting people, knowledgeable about public policy, liberal in their politics, expecting nothing more than a hearing of their opinions in exchange for their checks. But they reflected, almost uniformly, the perspectives of their class: the top 1 percent or so of the income scale that can afford to write a $2,000 check to a political candidate. They believed in the free market and an educational meritocracy; they found it hard to imagine that there might be any social ill that could not be cured by a high SAT score. They had no patience with protectionism, found unions troublesome, and were not particularly sympathetic to those whose lives were upended by the movements of global capital. Most were adamantly prochoice and antigun and were vaguely suspicious of deep religious sentiment.

And although my own worldview and theirs corresponded in many ways — I had gone to the same schools, after all, had read the same books, and worried about my kids in many of the same ways — I found myself avoiding certain topics during conversations with them, papering over possible differences, anticipating their expectations. On core issues I was candid; I had no problem telling well-heeled supporters that the tax cuts they’d received from George Bush should be reversed. Whenever I could, I would try to share with them some of the perspectives I was hearing from other portions of the electorate: the legitimate role of faith in politics, say, or the deep cultural meaning of guns in rural parts of the state.

Still, I know that as a consequence of my fund-raising I became more like the wealthy donors I met, in the very particular sense that I spent more and more of my time above the fray, outside the world of immediate hunger, disappointment, fear, irrationality, and frequent hardship of the other 99 percent of the population — that is, the people that I’d entered public life to serve. And in one fashion or another, I suspect this is true for every senator: The longer you are a senator, the narrower the scope of your interactions. You may fight it, with town hall meetings and listening tours and stops by the old neighborhood. But your schedule dictates that you move in a different orbit from most of the people you represent.

And perhaps as the next race approaches, a voice within tells you that you don’t want to have to go through all the misery of raising all that money in small increments all over again. You realize that you no longer have the cachet you did as the upstart, the fresh face; you haven’t changed Washington, and you’ve made a lot of people unhappy with difficult votes. The path of least resistance — of fund-raisers organized by the special interests, the corporate PACs, and the top lobbying shops — starts to look awfully tempting, and if the opinions of these insiders don’t quite jibe with those you once held, you learn to rationalize the changes as a matter of realism, of compromise, of learning the ropes. The problems of ordinary people, the voices of the Rust Belt town or the dwindling heartland, become a distant echo rather than a palpable reality, abstractions to be managed rather than battles to be fought.

Probably the most coherent description of the problem by a major politician in the last 40 years. And it affects everyone who relies on donations to run their enterprises...NPR included.

I don't think that's an accurate reflection of how that works. Soliciting donations requires the donee to court the donor and that often is best done by demonstrating empathy with the positions of the donor. If done frequently enough and if the donors are similar enough in thought, it will lead to an unintentional bias towards the donor's preferential positions on a range of subjects.

We all know this. Obama himself commented on this issue:

I can’t assume that the money chase didn’t alter me in some ways. …

Increasingly I found myself spending time with people of means — law firm partners and investment bankers, hedge fund managers and venture capitalists. As a rule, they were smart, interesting people, knowledgeable about public policy, liberal in their politics, expecting nothing more than a hearing of their opinions in exchange for their checks. But they reflected, almost uniformly, the perspectives of their class: the top 1 percent or so of the income scale that can afford to write a $2,000 check to a political candidate. They believed in the free market and an educational meritocracy; they found it hard to imagine that there might be any social ill that could not be cured by a high SAT score. They had no patience with protectionism, found unions troublesome, and were not particularly sympathetic to those whose lives were upended by the movements of global capital. Most were adamantly prochoice and antigun and were vaguely suspicious of deep religious sentiment.

And although my own worldview and theirs corresponded in many ways — I had gone to the same schools, after all, had read the same books, and worried about my kids in many of the same ways — I found myself avoiding certain topics during conversations with them, papering over possible differences, anticipating their expectations. On core issues I was candid; I had no problem telling well-heeled supporters that the tax cuts they’d received from George Bush should be reversed. Whenever I could, I would try to share with them some of the perspectives I was hearing from other portions of the electorate: the legitimate role of faith in politics, say, or the deep cultural meaning of guns in rural parts of the state.

Still, I know that as a consequence of my fund-raising I became more like the wealthy donors I met, in the very particular sense that I spent more and more of my time above the fray, outside the world of immediate hunger, disappointment, fear, irrationality, and frequent hardship of the other 99 percent of the population — that is, the people that I’d entered public life to serve. And in one fashion or another, I suspect this is true for every senator: The longer you are a senator, the narrower the scope of your interactions. You may fight it, with town hall meetings and listening tours and stops by the old neighborhood. But your schedule dictates that you move in a different orbit from most of the people you represent.

And perhaps as the next race approaches, a voice within tells you that you don’t want to have to go through all the misery of raising all that money in small increments all over again. You realize that you no longer have the cachet you did as the upstart, the fresh face; you haven’t changed Washington, and you’ve made a lot of people unhappy with difficult votes. The path of least resistance — of fund-raisers organized by the special interests, the corporate PACs, and the top lobbying shops — starts to look awfully tempting, and if the opinions of these insiders don’t quite jibe with those you once held, you learn to rationalize the changes as a matter of realism, of compromise, of learning the ropes. The problems of ordinary people, the voices of the Rust Belt town or the dwindling heartland, become a distant echo rather than a palpable reality, abstractions to be managed rather than battles to be fought.

Probably the most coherent description of the problem by a major politician in the last 40 years. And it affects everyone who relies on donations to run their enterprises...NPR included.
That's a fantastic post! Thank you so much for providing this information.

And when you hear of some of the corporate or business donors to your local NPR station it'll be something like a local car dealership or law firm.

Its true that NPR has a center left bias but I think that's mainly because the kind of personality types that enter journalism generally and NPR in particular happen to be center left leaning. More important than any supposed partisan bias to me is journalistic standards and on that end I don't think you can equate NPR with Fox news much less the insanity that you see in the alternative media sphere which skews heavily to the right and has next to no real journalistic standards.
A lot of political debates these days center around matters of true/false rather than ideology or opinion. Is climate change happening, is Trump the innocent victim of a big "lawfare" conspiracy, do tax cuts for the rich supercharge the economy, is unemployment low, are wages high, etc. I don't think getting the answers right is a matter of bias--bias would be a factor that could cause people to get them wrong. But increasingly, I think the right as a movement does demand people get the answers wrong, and it's hard to be in some professions and not run afoul of it.

But reporters and editors are not soliciting donations. That's the point.

You know as well as I do that the influence at the top influences the middle and the bottom. You know that if the donors share an opinion with the top of NPR that it will impact what those people say to the editors which eventually influences what the editors say to the journalists. Which eventually influences what the journalists prioritize in their work. That what the top of NPR thinks impacts the type of journalists they hire, the language of the workspace, etc.

It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen.

A known element is that donors give more when they see tangible results. Show them a new hospital wing or a new chemistry lab and they contribute more to that organization. And in journalism, tangibility is found in the journalistic pieces produced, the podcasts aired, etc. News Org A wants to capture the attention of Donor Doug? Show him articles produced that align with his priorities. His money made that happen and more money will make more of it happen. If the donor class becomes too monolithic then the prioritized pieces will become monolithic as well.

They jumped the shark during their coverage of the migrant crisis and never looked back. It became intolerable during and after that. Up until that point I listened every day.

You don't think some of them are influenced and play to the crowd?

I wonder how many people here are commenting while never listening to NPR.

Not only did the Conservatives leave NPR, so did most of the Middle of the Road listeners / viewers.

The funny part is that NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC are just like NPR, some worse. It's how we can easily call these clowns that parrot their talking points like virtually every Lefty in this thread, "Left Cult".... and it's an accurate descriptor.

How long does a real journalist put up with Adam Schiff lying to them with zero evidence before they start pushing back and asking those that disagree about their views? With NPR, the answer is ... NEVER. They need to either adjust their newsroom ASAP or be defunded the next time their appropriation comes up.

Ah' yes, NPR is too "intelligent" for the average listener. That's why their numbers dropping off. They changed their brand to "Intelligence First!". Absolutely nothing to do with turning into a far left activist rag. LOL.

Jackie just straight up be trolling these days. How sad.

You know as well as I do that the influence at the top influences the middle and the bottom. You know that if the donors share an opinion with the top of NPR that it will impact what those people say to the editors which eventually influences what the editors say to the journalists. Which eventually influences what the journalists prioritize in their work. That what the top of NPR thinks impacts the type of journalists they hire, the language of the workspace, etc.
I've actually worked in a newsroom (multiple jobs, including editor) and maintain contact with other people who do, and this is just not how it works at all. Avoiding that kind of thing part of the reason for the type of layering that exists. Anyone who tried to run a serious newsroom (that isn't explicitly ideological, like Mother Jones or Breitbart) that way would have a revolt on their hands.

You don't think some of them are influenced and play to the crowd?

I wonder how many people here are commenting while never listening to NPR.
Again, playing to the audience is possible. But playing to donors is just not how this stuff works. Donors donate to organizations they already support, not to organizations they disagree with.

Back