Opinion NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

How often do you listen to NPR?

Nothing special comes to mind. Give it a shot. Listen to the news and shows like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (a good light-hearted show btw).

What do you mean by strong left wing bias: Strong case of TDS. Shows where everyone is a liberal (they do have the token Republican here and there).
I'd also describe NPR is very pro-elitist establishment.

I'd also describe NPR is very pro-elitist establishment.
Does that have any concrete meaning?

I'd read it as suggesting like rightist economic policies, but I don't think that's what you're saying.

Is there something you find objectionable here? Seems like the kind of resume I'd expect from a corporate executive.
You conclude that it's a resume of a corporate executive. Others a couple of pages ago seem to conclude she worked for the intelligence community.

Either seem plausible.

As others outside of this karate forum have stated, she is very good at raising money. That, may be the biggest reason she is in her current position at NPR, regardless of whom she worked for.

You conclude that it's a resume of a corporate executive. Others a couple of pages ago seem to conclude she worked for the intelligence community.

Either seem plausible.

As others outside of this karate forum have stated, she is very good at raising money. That, may be the biggest reason she is in her current position at NPR, regardless of whom she worked for.
If feel like pointing out those associations and this apparent connection to the intelligence community(haven't seen that myself) are mentioned so as to imply that she might have some ulterior motives or shadowy past but its not clear to me exactly what.

What do you mean by strong left wing bias? Do you have an example you could link to off the top of your head?
I’m not sure if it qualifies as left wing bias per se, but my wife loves to listen to NPR as well, and I can’t stand to listen to the voice they make NPR reporters and commentators use.

What voice? I always describe it as concerned, lightly comedic, serious, and effeminate. It’s like aural emasculation. There’s nothing wrong with that collection of characteristics, of course. But it’s the fact that it’s *compulsory* and constant that I can’t tolerate. You have the reverse situation with, say, a Joe Rogan podcast, which I find intolerable for the same reason… just shouty masculinity.

This is one of the reasons I can’t listen to or watch news anymore, only read it. The verbal and visual packaging is so densely laden with identity formation and affirmation, as part of the product, that it makes the content secondary. I really don’t know how people can tolerate hours of ‘NPR voice,’ but I would say exactly the same for ‘Joe Rogan voice.’

* side note I just googled this. There are apparently articles on this phenomenon.

Part of what NPR claims is that they process the sound into higher frequencies because it allegedly sounds better in cars that way. Either way, it sounds like everybody lost 90% of their test levels when they step in the NPR studio.

Do you think that NPR is comparable in its bias to The Daily Wire?
Yes. The only thing stopping you from recognizing it, is your own bias. You like what they say, are a member of their tribe, and therefore you don't recognize it. I mean, they're not "Raw Story" or "Salon", but the "Daily Wire" isn't "Newsmax" either.

I’m not sure if it qualifies as left wing bias per se, but my wife loves to listen to NPR as well, and I can’t stand to listen to the voice they make NPR reporters and commentators use.

What voice? I always describe it as concerned, lightly comedic, serious, and effeminate. It’s like aural emasculation. There’s nothing wrong with that collection of characteristics, of course. But it’s the fact that it’s *compulsory* and constant that I can’t tolerate. You have the reverse situation with, say, a Joe Rogan podcast, which I find intolerable for the same reason… just shouty masculinity.

This is one of the reasons I can’t listen to or watch news anymore, only read it. The verbal and visual packaging is so densely laden with identity formation and affirmation, as part of the product, that it makes the content secondary. I really don’t know how people can tolerate hours of ‘NPR voice,’ but I would say exactly the same for ‘Joe Rogan voice.’

* side note I just googled this. There are apparently articles on this phenomenon.

Part of what NPR claims is that they process the sound into higher frequencies because it allegedly sounds better in cars that way. Either way, it sounds like everybody lost 90% of their test levels when they step in the NPR studio.
Good lord.

The WR is getting crazier every day.

If it's a woman I saw Bill Maher quote her.... sounds kooky imo
I had it on but I wasn't really paying attention. What was the quote?

I just saw someone joking that they don't have to change any content; they should just present as if they're advertising a monster truck rally. That seems to be literally true. :)

@evansusmc2 used the word "dorks" to refer to child abusers here recently and he seemed to be offended when I pointed out how odd that was.
Hey... faceless anonymous nobody, didn't I already explain? And if that's all you got on me that obviously I got nothing to worry about. Not that it would mean anything from a guy (girl?) like you anyways.

Hey... faceless anonymous nobody, didn't I already explain? And if that's all you got on me that obviously I got nothing to worry about. Not that it would mean anything from a guy (girl?) like you anyways.
I'm faceless, but you are Mark Kerr? Also, shut the hell up and stop whining.

Do you think that NPR is comparable in its bias to The Daily Wire?
No I don’t the daily wire , MSNBC, CNN and Fox News are more bias . But I don’t pretend it isn’t bias at all do you think it is bias at all ?

NPR has a left-leaning bias and the water is wet. FOX and CNN don't suckle on the CPB tit.

I see what you're talking about and I would say Ari Shapiro has the most annoying voice.

But that's completely separate from the issue of journalistic integrity. Even if they're similarly grating you wouldn't argue that Joe Rogan is roughly comparable to NPR in terms of journalistic integrity would you?
No I don’t the daily wire , MSNBC, CNN and Fox News are more bias . But I don’t pretend it isn’t bias at all do you think it is bias at all ?
Depends what you mean by biased. The NPR is mostly listened to and made by a certain center-left cosmopolitan personality type and that does show in some of the stories they choose and how they cover them. I can understand if you don't like the NPR aesthetic like the voice thing Zank mentioned above and some of the story selection like the spinster host interviewing the spinster author about being a spinster that I mentioned earlier. But in general you get dry, sober analysis that is held to high standards of journalistic integrity. What source of news do you believe is less prone to bias and adheres to similar if not higher levels of journalistic integrity? Personally I think if you could only have one source of news NPR would be one of your best bets. To the extent that there is bias there I find it very easy to filter out while still getting nuanced coverage of current events.

But it's not actually a stated objective of the left (nevermind the fact that "the left" is not a single entity that can even state an objective). Read your own links.

"For years, Democrats have been engaged in a debate over whether the party should shun the cable news giant or grudgingly use its airwaves to run counterprogramming. But in the midst of the latest saga, a newer type of reaction has emerged: that they should sever all ties, including any money spent advertising on the network.

There is no indication, at this juncture, that major Democratic entities are ready to halt their ad buys on Fox News, let alone its many affiliates."

Your claim was that they want to shut Fox down. That's a piece about how they (understandably!) don't regard it as a legitimate news organization. Very different!

From your second link:

"How to get the Fox News monster under control? I do not believe the government should have any role in regulating what can and can’t be said on the air, although I often hear that proposed. That would be a cure worse than the disease. But let’s not count on the hope that the Fox-controlling Murdochs will develop a conscience."

Looks like you just collected a bunch of links that you didn't read and counted on others not to read them.
To the surprise of no one.

You don't really need to read his posts. Just think to yourself, what would Nancy Pelosi slur... I mean say... and that's Jack's position on virtually anything / everything. He's a straight up Democratic Party shill.
Indeed, you have certainly established that you don't need to read or understand something before making a comment on it. Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Back