Number of standing KOs in UFC 2023 vs 2018 or 2013

Robbocop

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I can't help but notice that standing KOs are given much more frequently in modern UFC especially by referees such as Marc Goddard and Mark Smith. This weekend's main event was one such example, a fighter who is hurt or wobbled but still standing, and the fight is called off by Goddard.

Has anyone got stats of the number of standing KOs given per year? I have a strong hunch the rate of standing KOs has increased substantially, but would like to see some numbers if anyone has any.

Hard stat to document. Might be better to just ask for notable standing tko stoppages and give the year. Then you can compile the list.

The one high profile fights from the past where a standing TKO that comes to mind was Rousey vs Nunes (2016)

Yeah I thought maybe someone could point to some stats on the topic. It would be hard to tally them up because they are just recorded as KO/TKO, not generally as standing TKO.

You'd have to watch every tko from the time you stated sir.

You can make this stat for every type of finish since there's like 20x more fights in a year in 2023 than 2013.

I can't help but notice that standing KOs are given much more frequently in modern UFC especially by referees such as Marc Goddard and Mark Smith. This weekend's main event was one such example, a fighter who is hurt or wobbled but still standing, and the fight is called off by Goddard.

Has anyone got stats of the number of standing KOs given per year? I have a strong hunch the rate of standing KOs has increased substantially, but would like to see some numbers if anyone has any.
It happens a lot in boxing, why should MMA be any different? If your taking a beating, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: HHJ
It happens a lot in boxing, why should MMA be any different? If your taking a beating, it doesn't matter.
The main difference to some fans is that there is so many rds in boxing and its in boxing culture but it's not as usual in mma culture. Me,I have no problem w it when it's warranted.

You can make this stat for every type of finish since there's like 20x more fights in a year in 2023 than 2013.
Yes I had thought of that, I guess I mean "per fight" or "ratio" or "rate" of standing tkos, so ratio of standing tkos to total tkos, or ratio of standing tkos to total fights.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a standing KO. The main point should be the "intelligently defending" thing. As a matter of fact, I find that the mentality that standing KO's shouldn't exist or should exist less sometimes contributes to what I think is an idiotic perspective, that people being on the ground is good enough reason to stop a fight.

Used to be the case that I'd see multiple times a thread in a questionable stoppage some form of "He can't even stand up right after, good stoppage." Standing is not a required part of MMA, not unless the opponent is standing and wants the fight to continue, in which case not getting up would be a delay and refusing or being unable to get up is the fight being over. This is MMA, you can fight on the ground. All it takes is your awareness and ability to defend, not the physical ability to stand at every given moment. Conversely, having the physical ability to stand, but having no awareness or ability to defense means the fight gets stopped.

Having said that, there were times during Spivak eating that barrage that even he was hardly able to stand. His ass almost hit the ground several times in a row after some punches, so he hardly even gets the benefit of the doubt even if that was your prerogative.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a standing KO.

Yes there is - it displeases the JBG, and when that happens we get cursed with shit like Black Beast vs. Ngannou and Rose vs. Carla 2. You do not want to displease the JBG.

Your missing the whole point. This place sure can be retarded.<45>

Nah, you are.

Standing TKOs are more accepted in standup only sports as there's nowhere else to fight. You're losing in the one spot you're allowed to fight in so you literally are in a very bad position even if you haven't been dropped/KO'd yet.

That isn't the case in MMA. You're allowed to fight on the ground. Thus it makes a hell of a lot less sense to stop a fight because the standup's going poorly as letting it go to the ground could be the turning point a fighter needs. Especially for a grappling based fighter. The ground being an option opens up a ton of possibilities for the defending fighter that simply isn't the case in a standup only sport.

It's kinda, you know, the reason why you see so many hurt fighters shoot for a TD.

Nah, you are.

Standing TKOs are more accepted in standup only sports as there's nowhere else to fight. You're losing in the one spot you're allowed to fight in so you literally are in a very bad position even if you haven't been dropped/KO'd yet.

That isn't the case in MMA. You're allowed to fight on the ground. Thus it makes a hell of a lot less sense to stop a fight because the standup's going poorly as letting it go to the ground could be the turning point a fighter needs. Especially for a grappling based fighter. The ground being an option opens up a ton of possibilities for the defending fighter that simply isn't the case in a standup only sport.

It's kinda, you know, the reason why you see so many hurt fighters shoot for a TD.
Haven't you ever heard of "being out on your feet"? Well, everyone has their own opinion. I respect yours, I just don't agree. I can assure you, I am not retarded though.:D

Nah, you are.

Then its the fighters faulty for not butt scooping like Diaz when he gets dropped?

I agree with you mostly but turning around or ducking your head and covering up isn't a good plan and justifies a standing KO.

Back