Law NY appeal court overturns Harvey Weinstein's rape conviction

Fox by the Sea

Lighthouse Keeper
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well ain't this some bullshit.

NEW YORK (AP) — New York’s highest court on Thursday overturned Harvey Weinstein ’s 2020 rape conviction, finding the judge at the landmark #MeToo trial prejudiced the ex-movie mogul with “egregious” improper rulings, including a decision to let women testify about allegations that weren’t part of the case.

“We conclude that the trial court erroneously admitted testimony of uncharged, alleged prior sexual acts against persons other than the complainants of the underlying crimes,” the court’s 4-3 decision said. “The remedy for these egregious errors is a new trial.”

The state Court of Appeals ruling reopens a painful chapter in America’s reckoning with sexual misconduct by powerful figures — an era that began in 2017 with a flood of allegations against Weinstein. His accusers could again be forced to retell their stories on the witness stand.

The court’s majority said “it is an abuse of judicial discretion to permit untested allegations of nothing more than bad behavior that destroys a defendant’s character but sheds no light on their credibility as related to the criminal charges lodged against them.”

In a stinging dissent, Judge Madeline Singas wrote that the majority was “whitewashing the facts to conform to a he-said/she-said narrative,” and said the Court of Appeals was continuing a “disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence.”

“The majority’s determination perpetuates outdated notions of sexual violence and allows predators to escape accountability,” Singas wrote.

Weinstein, 72, has been serving a 23-year sentence in a New York prison following his conviction on charges of criminal sex act for forcibly performing oral sex on a TV and film production assistant in 2006 and rape in the third degree for an attack on an aspiring actress in 2013.

He will remain imprisoned because he was convicted in Los Angeles in 2022 of another rape and sentenced to 16 years in prison. Weinstein was acquitted in Los Angeles on charges involving one of the women who testified in New York.

Weinstein lawyer Arthur Aidala said immediately after the ruling came out: “We all worked very hard and this is a tremendous victory for every criminal defendant in the state of New York.”

Mika's face as Joe reads it as the news breaks <lol> <lol>

GMA7UVBXsAAfeGk

New trial due to process error. He’ll be back with the same judgement.

Thankfully his LA rape shit will keep him behind bars till he croaks.

Dude got away with being the creepiest fuck on the planet for decades because him and his brother were good at making movies.

I mean... the stories are just as unbelievable today.

Fuck me... imagine being an up and coming actress, knowing you'd eventually have to put that guy's deformed penis inside to make the big time. Or risk him completely destroying any chance in Hollywood if you refuse.

So many actresses allowed that dude to live out his sick fantasy with them. Dude looks like fucking Jabba the Hutt, yet they all went with it for fame.

<Fedor23>

If he's still in prison anyway and is already 72 years old, not sure it makes much of a difference, but our legal system really needs to be outsourced to AI. I don't even know how public figures could possibly get a fair trial with ubiquitous coverage of everything. I know, let's get a corrupt judge and pick out a handful of randos with no legal background, and then have the lawyers see who can emotionally manipulate them the best even though they probably had their minds made up before the thing even started and just said whatever they thought would get them picked.

Don't worry, I'll totally put aside my bias for this one and rule strictly on the facts of the case.
iu

Back