O’Malley v Vera was the first fight a fluke, did Sean evolve, or did Vera freeze?

1 - The first fight WAS a fluke and it was Sean’s ankle injury that lost him the fight.
Why does everyone always call shit like that a fluke?

Chito threw a strike that landed and caused damage, which led to Omalley being compromised in the fight, and eventually TKO'd.

It literally happens in so many damn fights. It's no different than someone throwing a punch which rocks someone, then following it up with an onslaught of attacks to stop the fight.

3 - Chito froze or at least spent too long getting a good read on Sean’s movement patterns to land a big shot.

I would say this. And it's ONLY because once Chito opened up towards the end of the fight, he did better in those moments than he did at any point earlier in the fight.

Chito could've started doing that a lot earlier, but didn't. He held back, and fucked himself over. I feel like he had a lot more to give, but didn't for whatever reason. Playing this game like he was going to eventually catch him, but never did.

Sean was on point, looking extremely focused. He stayed with his gameplan, and fought his style of fight with perfect efficiency.

I really don't think Sean looked much better than he usually does. He just looked good because Chito never effectively pressured him, which allowed Sean to fight his fight with ease.

Chito won fair and square the first time, not a fluke. He threw a strike intending to damage his opponent and it worked. Sure it was a low percentage occurrence, but so is a spinning back kick KO but we don’t call that a fluke when it happens. Did it mean Chito was the superior overall fighter? Not necessarily. And also O’Malley definitely improved more than Chito did in the time between fights.

If you had read all these posts in the online mma community wouldn’t you already know what sherdog thinks?

Not a fluke. Chito's leg kick was real and it compromised O'Malley. His whole game/playbook was thrown out the window. That's why the TKO happened. Those kinds of things happen. Give kudos to Chito in that first fight.
When those same kicks haven't caused that before, or since, it's known as a fluke

People were saying before the rematch Vera was Sean's kryptonite and would be able to destroy him with kicks. To me it looked lucky that a kick did the damage it did and I don't think Vera can land like he used to.

I’d say it was about 70% #2 and 30% #3.

Why does everyone always call shit like that a fluke?

Chito threw a strike that landed and caused damage, which led to Omalley being compromised in the fight, and eventually TKO'd.

It literally happens in so many damn fights. It's no different than someone throwing a punch which rocks someone, then following it up with an onslaught of attacks to stop the fight.

I would say this. And it's ONLY because once Chito opened up towards the end of the fight, he did better in those moments than he did at any point earlier in the fight.

Chito could've started doing that a lot earlier, but didn't. He held back, and fucked himself over. I feel like he had a lot more to give, but didn't for whatever reason. Playing this game like he was going to eventually catch him, but never did.

Sean was on point, looking extremely focused. He stayed with his gameplan, and fought his style of fight with perfect efficiency.

I really don't think Sean looked much better than he usually does. He just looked good because Chito never effectively pressured him, which allowed Sean to fight his fight with ease.

People call it a fluke because they believe that at that point in time O'Malley would have beaten Chito "X" (>5) number of times out of 10. It's not that complex, getting hung up on the word "fluke" is useless. There isn't really a more succinct way to say it.

Of course it was a fluke. He got beat the fck down in the rematch lol.

It's basically like the GSP-Serra situation. Sure Serra won the 1st but everyone who knew a bit about the sport knew GSP was going to dominate in a rematch

The chance of a nerve strike is probably 1% at best. You can't make a whole game plan around a peroneal nerve kick. He capitalized on a this but I thought it was ridiculous that people were predicting Chito's success in a rematch on this. Good luck trying to pull that off twice. And people who thought Sean was losing before that kick need their eyes checked. Sean looked good then and better in the rematch. Chito is a sharp shooter but hasn't looked much different imo. We did find out how bloody tough he is though. Took a royal beating and never quit.

Last edited:
I'm going to say it was a fluke. Not to say that it wasn't a legitimate strike because it was. But what happened is very uncommon. But it's clear that Sean has improved, and I get the distinct impression that Chito believed or his coaches led him to believe that the first fight wasn't a fluke. The reason I say this is because it doesn't look like they came in with any particular plan.

Kind of, but not really. Chito definitely intended to try and hurt his legs with kicks. The extent of how quickly his leg became disabled from the drop foot, and has never been taken out like that before, or again after despite having his leg kicked again repeatedly was definitely a little bit flukey, but again Chito was targeting the leg. So it's not the level of flukey shit like when Gray Maynard knocked himself out slamming a fighter that was already a sitting duck for the fight to be a NC instead of what would have been a pretty guaranteed win for gray otherwise. But Sean was definitely getting the better of the overall engages against chito before his leg went dead. So I think Sean has always been the more skilled fighter. It was easy to meme on him that he wasn't because of his personality, but after their second encounter it's become pretty clear O'malley has always been the more skilled fighter. But that's not to say that if Chito dosen't go on another tear, and sean remains champion that we could see a rubber match down the road as on paper it is very much 1-1.

Definitely a legit strike and O'Malley has since improved. Chito seems to have regressed and looks to only land one big shot which isn't the best way to go into a fight when that is your one and only plan.

Fighter X throws a strike that KOs, or seriously impares their opponent. And people somehow say it’s “fluky”.

We just saw it in the Justin/Max fight. Clowns are saying the spinning kick to the beak at the end of round 1, was a fluke. Of course it was.. That’s why he landed it several times during the fight, right? They saw something in film study.. Just like Alexa’s team saw with Shevchenko. Max, and Alexa doing what they did is the opposite of fluky.

The peroneal nerve damage was fortuitous. But a legit strike caused that damage.

It’s disrespectful to say something like that is a fluke. You may never have the same result if you have that same fight 1000 times.

It’s like when GSP/Serra had their first fight. Serra caught GSP behind the ear, and got the tko. Then GSP showed that though the first fight was not a fluke. It was unlikely to happen again. No matter how many times they run it back.

Chito won fair, and square. But I did pick O’Malley to win the rematch.

Fluke is not the word I use. But a little bit of luck never hurt nobody.

I don’t see how “he kicked my leg and then my leg hurt” can be a fluke. Especially since Sean stand so wide in a deep stance. He gains a lot of advantages from it but eating leg kicks is something he exposes himself to.

He’s a better fighter. But all fighters are dangerous these days. Sometimes you get caught

Back