Objectively speaking, REM is one of the greatest bands of all time

Wilmer Digreux

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
You never hear them mentioned alongside like Led Zepplin, Nirvana, U2, Beatles and other huge bands like that. But they are.

They're especially impressive when you realize the range they have. They went from garage punk to mainstream alternative with some folksy stuff thrown in, to developing a sound that is uniquely their own. You hear REM, you know it's REM.

What's your favorite? I have several and it's hard to narrow down, but I gotta still go with Man On the Moon.

Well, now we're talking serious biz here !! R.E.M. can safely be put up there in lights with the other bands mentioned here. For one thing, they never wimped out on their fans by going "disco" like 99% of other bands out there. They just ploughed on with their own musical ideas against all odds and came out winning !! Even their more "commercial" stuff was marvellous. My fav album has gotta be MONSTER - what else :):)

Well, now we're talking serious biz here !! R.E.M. can safely be put up there in lights with the other bands mentioned here. For one thing, they never wimped out on their fans by going "disco" like 99% of other bands out there. They just ploughed on with their own musical ideas against all odds and came out winning !! Even their more "commercial" stuff was marvellous. My fav album has gotta be MONSTER - what else :):)

I think REM were a bit late to go disco lol.

I think REM were a bit late to go disco lol.
Bands are never late to go disco.......look at Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - they had wimped out when disco was out for good ....insisted until they returned to their original sound and never made that crappy mistake again. Disco died a long time ago , I know, but it still is the landing spot for bands who have nothing left to say in music - like always:). REM could've released a purely "dance" album at a snap of their fingers , but they didn't and preferred to stay with quality music instead.

Bands are never late to go disco.......look at Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - they had wimped out when disco was out for good ....insisted until they returned to their original sound and never made that crappy mistake again. Disco died a long time ago , I know, but it still is the landing spot for bands who have nothing left to say in music - like always:). REM could've released a purely "dance" album at a snap of their fingers , but they didn't and preferred to stay with quality music instead.

Tbf I don't personally think they've released anything decent since Monster

Even U2 had a shot at disco dance , but rapidly reversed fire when they saw their fanbase fading away :):):)
Grateful Dead with Shakedown Street, The Rolling Stones with Emotional Rescue and Miss You, Queen with Another One Bites the Dust. All flirted with disco at one time, lol.

Back