Odd Question: How do you feel about couple's with Downs Syndrome having children?

Agreed. Plus, what if something happens in the future and Down Syndrome becomes an evolutionary advantage? Like maybe there’s another pandemic but only those with Down Syndrome are immune, or aliens invade and their weakness is Down Syndrome? You never know.

You might be onto something! If you subscribe to the "Many-Worlds" interpretation of the multiverse hypothesis, which proposes that every possible outcome of a quantum event plays out in its own separate universe, then your precise scenario is either unfolding right now or has already occurred.

100% against it.
We don't need another @JoeyJoeJoeJr running around licking everyone's windows...

aedf3606b3bbe9ace4c0e1b70ebc75e6.gif

My friend thought I was a monster and said that people with Down Syndrome should have the same opportunities as anyone else.
With all due respect, your friend is an idiot, and people like him/her are the reason why we can't have nice things. Would you want a person with downs propped into a fighter jet? How about as a police officer with a firearm in a school shooting? Preforming complex brain surgery? We have elite people to do elite jobs (ideally). People like your friend are just delusional narcissists that have done nothing but feed their own ego while lowering the standard of society. Just my opinion.

Somewhere along this current age of "enlightenment" we forgot that everyone is not born equally, or has the same capabilities. This is not a bad thing, it's just part of nature. The key is being honest with yourself about your capabilities (or your child with downs), and finding a path within them. The term "stay in your lane" carries more weight then ever, imo.

People with downs were born that way, no choice of their own. They need and deserve love and special attention that addresses their realities. Not some devouring "mother" wearing LuLu Lemons, preaching to the person standing next to her in line while ordering her Starbucks.

As far as someone without downs dating someone with downs. That person should be beaten until they do have downs.

a genuine, passionate desire & willingness to start a family w/ the person you love should be enough in almost any circumstance imo

there are sometimes exceptions to the rule, of course, but i don’t think simply having DS qualifies. there are people with DS that are a lot more capable than you might think. you’d also have to assume that they come from a loving, caring family, & have a strong network of people who can be there to support them whenever necessary, which could be a reason why they would want to start a family, to perpetuate that love & care.

plenty of incapable jabronies who probably didn’t even graduate high school accidentally start a family & somehow make it work (& plenty who do not ofc). i’m willing to bet the DS person who grew up down the street from mr jabroni baby daddy has their hs diploma <Prem771>

With all due respect, your friend is an idiot, and people like him/her are the reason why we can't have nice things. Would you want a person with downs propped into a fighter jet? How about as a police officer with a firearm in a school shooting?
pretty low bar, bud

a genuine, passionate desire & willingness to start a family w/ the person you love should be enough in almost any circumstance imo

there are sometimes exceptions to the rule, of course, but i don’t think simply having DS qualifies. there are people with DS that are a lot more capable than you might think. you’d also have to assume that they come from a loving, caring family, & have a strong network of people who can be there to support them whenever necessary, which could be a reason why they would want to start a family, to perpetuate that love & care.

plenty of incapable jabronies who probably didn’t even graduate high school accidentally start a family & somehow make it work (& plenty who even do not ofc). i’m willing to bet the DS person who grew up down the street from mr jabroni baby daddy has their hs diploma <Prem771>

The HS diploma a person with DS gets likely doesnt consist of the same course work and credit requirements. At least in my school distract most of the special needs students stayed there until they were 20 before they graduated.

My mom has worked in non profit human services for almost 30 years helping developmentally delayed and intellectually disabled adults find work and housing. Having grown up around and interacting with the people that have varying degrees of ability and understanding, I would say none of them should be trusted to fully care for a helpless infant. Some of them might be able to do it with significant outside help, but even then it's pretty questionable. Of course this is just my opinion based on my own personal experience. Also having a baby of my own put things into perspective even more.

don't care, i think eugenics is a disgusting thing to practice, people should be allowed to start a family if they want to

I guess as long it is not hereditary and the families help out
It's very hereditary, of both parents have down syndrome, there's at least a 50% chance their child will too.

Personally I have not problem with it if the family has resources and can support the child their entire life. BUT, I have a slight issue with knowingly having a child with a disability and then expecting the state to take care of the bills.

I get the feeling that most people in this thread have never been around any person with Down’s syndrome for more than a few hours and probably have only ever seen them on TV.

You might be onto something! If you subscribe to the "Many-Worlds" interpretation of the multiverse hypothesis, which proposes that every possible outcome of a quantum event plays out in its own separate universe, then your precise scenario is either unfolding right now or has already occurred.
Every event with a probability of non-zero. But it is certainly a likely explanation of certain things. And the only prerequisite is the single assumption that space is infinite.

Back