Official DOOM ETERNAL Discussion

I didnt finish the DLC,it was ridiculously hard and not in a fun way like the regular game.

I didnt finish the DLC,it was ridiculously hard and not in a fun way like the regular game.
Just turn the difficulty down. I prefer the main game too but the DLCs are fun in patches and it's worth seeing all the new enemies (even though I hate one of them with a passion).

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard that the first one is insanely hard, and then in response to the backlash they made the second one way too easy.

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard that the first one is insanely hard, and then in response to the backlash they made the second one way too easy.
The first is definitely harder but the second is still more challenging than the base game (although that's mitigated somewhat with the new weapon they give you).

Reactions: HHJ
Just turn the difficulty down. I prefer the main game too but the DLCs are fun in patches and it's worth seeing all the new enemies (even though I hate one of them with a passion).
Only thing I couldn’t stand were specters. Didn’t feel like it flowed well with the combat.

Only thing I couldn’t stand were specters. Didn’t feel like it flowed well with the combat.
For me, it's blood maykrs. They're treasonous and shouldn't be in the game imo.

When they canned Doom 4 (before starting on 2016), the devs had a meeting and discussed what fans liked most about the franchise and they came up with four "core pillars of Doom":
- speed of movement
- individuality of the demons
- distinctiveness of the weapons
- power of the player

No enemy should ever be able to compromise your movement. It's sacrilegious! And whoever designed them should be blacklisted from the industry!

Reactions: HHJ
For me, it's blood maykrs. They're treasonous and shouldn't be in the game imo.

When they canned Doom 4 (before starting on 2016), the devs had a meeting and discussed what fans liked most about the franchise and they came up with four "core pillars of Doom":
- speed of movement
- individuality of the demons
- distinctiveness of the weapons
- power of the player

No enemy should ever be able to compromise your movement. It's sacrilegious! And whoever designed them should be blacklisted from the industry!
Lol I never had much issue with them. I think the Specters are worse because they violate basically every tenant of what you posted.

Lol I never had much issue with them. I think the Specters are worse because they violate basically every tenant of what you posted.
I don't like them much either but at least there's an auditory cue and they become visible if you hit them with the flame belch. Most importantly they don't affect your mobility, which isn't just necessary for your survival but is also a huge part of what makes the game fun.

I don't like them much either but at least there's an auditory cue and they become visible if you hit them with the flame belch. Most importantly they don't affect your mobility, which isn't just necessary for your survival but is also a huge part of what makes the game fun.
Hmm, I think they do affect your mobility because you’re stuck moving extremely slowly as you use the plasma to kill them.

Hmm, I think they do affect your mobility because you’re stuck moving extremely slowly as you use the plasma to kill them.
Okay you mean spirits. Spectres are the invisible pinkies.

Yeah I don't really mind possessed enemies and spirits. I hate them while I'm fighting them but it's a such unique experience. There's nothing like a possessed hell knight charging at you in a small room.

The lore behind spirits is pretty cool too. They are the ghosts of the summoners you killed in 2016.

Okay you mean spirits. Spectres are the invisible pinkies.

Yeah I don't really mind possessed enemies and spirits. I hate them while I'm fighting them but it's a such unique experience. There's nothing like a possessed hell knight charging at you in a small room.

The lore behind spirits is pretty cool too. They are the ghosts of the summoners you killed in 2016.
Yeah those dudes lol.

The possessed demons aren’t terrible it really is just trying to finish them that drives me crazy. With the Maykr’s a quick headshot does it and I’m onto the next.

Yeah those dudes lol.

The possessed demons aren’t terrible it really is just trying to finish them that drives me crazy. With the Maykr’s a quick headshot does it and I’m onto the next.
If you can get a clean shot off. Whenever I'm about to line one up, I get hit by an imp or gargoyle.

It's scary when you don't finish off the spirit and it possesses an even bigger demon like a baron or something. lol

Last edited:
I fucking hated the spirits or whatever from TAG 1. Standing around to play ghostbuster for five seconds or whatever fucking sucked, and if you missed it and it got away you could be in some real trouble. Also, possessed Tyrants are scary mf’ers.

Fuck!! I ran out of lives in phase two of the final boss. Only had a couple of body parts left too. That's a shitty place for a PB.

At least I got to spank the marauder on the roof before the hell tower. Dumbass tripped over his own feet so I got a few extra shots in. Felt good too since he just stole two lives from me in Taras Nabad. He and his dog are dirty cheaters.

After I got a PS5 I rebought the whole Doom franchise when it was on sale and was shocked to learn the PS5 version of Eternal looks and sounds better than PC. Same resolution with ultra settings but the PS5 image is clearer and the colours pop more. And the speaker in the controller turns it into surround sound. Such a great idea.

So obviously I had to play everything all over again! And surprisingly I was able to do all the fights in the DLCs this time including the crazy slayer gate in the Holt. Forgot there was a possessed marauder in that arena so there was a legit "oh shit" moment when he first showed up lol. I never even made it to that phase last time so this was pretty cool.

There is a sale right now in the Nintendo Switch Eshop. There's a package with Doom 1, 2, 3, 64, and 2016 for like $12.50. Hell of a deal. Eternal is on sale on Switch, too, but I already have that, so I couldn't see the price. It's cool to have the whole series on a portable.

Back