No Spoilers Official GOD OF WAR: RAGNARÖK Discussion

This will make buy a ps5 but as i expected, it doesnt look a world better than the ps4. Its better but not by much. I watched the Wolverine and Spiderman 2 trailers and thought the same.

Well Wolverine didn't even show gameplay did it? Unless i missed more footage, plus Spidey and GoW looked that amazing graphically that there was little chance there'd have been a leap in graphics.

So that tree of life table, with all those inaccessible areas in ps4s god of war.....fuck them huh?

I expected a dlc for those areas or a ps4 sequel for them.

There was a huge misunderstanding with that table from some players. It wasn't that those areas were inaccessible for the time being in the game, they were always going to be inaccessible... that's just how it was in GoW. It was just to show what would come in future games.

Everyone seemed to think
Thor being outside your hut in the secret ending
would 100% mean DLC was coming, when there was zero chance that was going to happen. Things like this set up sequels, not DLC.

I have no problem playing or against females. Returnal ranks as one of my favorite games and Control was a blast. That said, Freya as the main baddie seems like a bad idea. She can split time with Thor / Odin, but fighting her as the end boss would be bumming. It just doesn’t fit the lore unless somehow she siphons Thor or Odins power which would be PIS.

The Fenrir fight it going to be amazing and we will more than likely fight Tyr as he will betray us. There’s also rumors that Greek mythology creature like Chiron might show up. So pumped for this.

I'd be very surprised if we actually fight Freya as an end boss. If anything she'll be a constant thorn in our sides throughout the game but we'll kindly and carefully swat her aside without doing anything life-threatening to her, and in the end when she cools off she'll stop attacking us, maybe we spare her life and she realizes we aren't so bad?

Also, I always thought there'd be 3 games in this arc after playing the first one... Ragnarok would be where we'd fight Thor as the main boss, and the last game would be Odin, but knows at this point as the name Ragnarok doesn't scream "There's gonna be another Norse game after this".

Looks unbelievable.

Man I cant wait to get my hands on this.

Wish there was a release date though.
Lots of people on Neogaf lamenting the visuals.

I think it looks incredible. It does admittedly stay firmly in the realm of GoW 2018 but 1) I don't know if people really understand how ahead of its time GoW '18 was in terms of visuals, and 2) we knew that it was going to be a cross-generational game.

I view this as an IMMENSE opportunity for Santa Monica to break the trend of making the same kinds of game depth/length, while only upgrading the visuals.

They're clearly running with the same engine. Fucking fantastic. That means they've been using this time to work on other things. If they stay within the original graphical "realm" but do all kinds of crazy shit with the combat system (one of my only gripes with the last game) this will definitely be Game of Whatever Year It Chooses To Come Out.

I am fucking psyched about this game and I WILL buy a PS5 when it comes out, whatever the price tag and heat sink size is as that time.

Well Wolverine didn't even show gameplay did it? Unless i missed more footage, plus Spidey and GoW looked that amazing graphically that there was little chance there'd have been a leap in graphics.

There was a huge misunderstanding with that table from some players. It wasn't that those areas were inaccessible for the time being in the game, they were always going to be inaccessible... that's just how it was in GoW. It was just to show what would come in future games.

Everyone seemed to think
Thor being outside your hut in the secret ending
would 100% mean DLC was coming, when there was zero chance that was going to happen. Things like this set up sequels, not DLC.
DLC, sequel, whatever. Took too long.

I think it looks incredible. It does admittedly stay firmly in the realm of GoW 2018 but 1) I don't know if people really understand how ahead of its time GoW '18 was in terms of visuals, and 2) we knew that it was going to be a cross-generational game.

I view this as an IMMENSE opportunity for Santa Monica to break the trend of making the same kinds of game depth/length, while only upgrading the visuals.

They're clearly running with the same engine. Fucking fantastic. That means they've been using this time to work on other things. If they stay within the original graphical "realm" but do all kinds of crazy shit with the combat system (one of my only gripes with the last game) this will definitely be Game of Whatever Year It Chooses To Come Out.

I am fucking psyched about this game and I WILL buy a PS5 when it comes out, whatever the price tag and heat sink size is as that time.

It's one of those dumb gaming things where every sequel has to look a million times better, and if it's on the PS5 too all you'll hear is "Is doesn't look much better", these people need to realize that GoW has some of the best graphics ever... so why does it need an improvement?

I bet it's the same people that when a game like Shovel Knight comes out they comment saying "I don't want a PS1 game, i want amazing graphics" like seriously, fuck right off with that garbage.

EDIT - Oh and Thor looks freaking incredible, they did a great job.

It's one of those dumb gaming things where every sequel has to look a million times better, and if it's on the PS5 too all you'll hear is "Is doesn't look much better", these people need to realize that GoW has some of the best graphics ever... so why does it need an improvement?

I bet it's the same people that when a game like Shovel Knight comes out they comment saying "I don't want a PS1 game, i want amazing graphics" like seriously, fuck right off with that garbage.

I hope they give us a better fov. I didnt see too much gameplay, but it looks a bit further out

Enemies need clearer markers for when they are about to attack.

I hope the find a better way to hide load times than making you climb so damn much too

I'm pumped for this regardless.

I hope they give us a better fov. I didnt see too much gameplay, but it looks a bit further out

I hope the find a better way to hide load times than making you climb so damn much too

It's completely fine and understandable to want gameplay improvements, we all have things we like and dislike after all, but people who want a game like GoW to be graphically better with each instalment when it looks as good as it does it just petty and childish to me.

It takes more and more time to create visuals and graphical quality that provides increasingly less visual quality jumps. Developers are having to do more to get less. If the generation after this looked like GoW but focused on developing better gaming mechanics, better and more innovative combat systems, and longer, more interesting and compelling stories, it would be the greatest win for games since the NES days when you didn't have genres, you had all kinds of people experimenting and trying crazy new shit. It might even be better than those days.

I look at it this way. It's come to the point in the industry where we can all predict, with a fair amount of certainty, what kinds of games we're going to get, what franchises to expect, and how long that particular platform will last. I don't know if I can say that this is a bad thing, but it certainly doesn't strike me as a good thing.

If GoWR had absolutely NO visual improvement but turned the combat and level design effort up to insanity I would play the shit out of that for years

I'd be very surprised if we actually fight Freya as an end boss. If anything she'll be a constant thorn in our sides throughout the game but we'll kindly and carefully swat her aside without doing anything life-threatening to her, and in the end when she cools off she'll stop attacking us, maybe we spare her life and she realizes we aren't so bad?

Also, I always thought there'd be 3 games in this arc after playing the first one... Ragnarok would be where we'd fight Thor as the main boss, and the last game would be Odin, but knows at this point as the name Ragnarok doesn't scream "There's gonna be another Norse game after this".

I agree, probably the most logical explanation. She probably calls down soldiers from the Bifrost from time to time. Could also be Odin, but wouldn’t doubt she has a play in something similar.

GOW 2018 ends with Thor showing up to Kratos house and the franchise is known for blockbuster fight scenes always starting off the game. I wonder if Kratos and Thor go at it durning the beginning which ends in a stalemate or with Thor winning with Odin / Freyas help and he takes a bunch of stuff from us.

As for the 3rd game, I really hope Santa Monica doesn’t force us to use Atreus for the third game moving forward. Using this game as a way for us to relate more to him. We’re not done stomping out each pantheon as the God of War.

I was thinking about this exact same thing the other day. The game looks fantastic already. They have no doubt upgraded parts of the engine but as you mentioned they have had more time to develop what makes the game fun and that’s gameplay. New enemies, more bosses, areas to explore and best of all more combat options. None of that would have been possible if they had to build a new engine.

I’m willing to be we get classic GOW top down gameplay this time. Lots of old school fans were vocal enough from last game that I would be surprised if Santa Monica doesn’t add it in. That includes air juggling which is exciting.

I wouldn’t mind having a few Greek weapons we’ve earned from the original series like Hercs hammer fists. That would be awesome.

I agree, probably the most logical explanation. She probably calls down soldiers from the Bifrost from time to time. Could also be Odin, but wouldn’t doubt she has a play in something similar.

GOW 2018 ends with Thor showing up to Kratos house and the franchise is known for blockbuster fight scenes always starting off the game. I wonder if Kratos and Thor go at it durning the beginning which ends in a stalemate or with Thor winning with Odin / Freyas help and he takes a bunch of stuff from us.

As for the 3rd game, I really hope Santa Monica doesn’t force us to use Atreus for the third game moving forward. Using this game as a way for us to relate more to him. We’re not done stomping out each pantheon as the God of War.

I was thinking about this exact same thing the other day. The game looks fantastic already. They have no doubt upgraded parts of the engine but as you mentioned they have had more time to develop what makes the game fun and that’s gameplay. New enemies, more bosses, areas to explore and best of all more combat options. None of that would have been possible if they had to build a new engine.

I’m willing to be we get classic GOW top down gameplay this time. Lots of old school fans were vocal enough from last game that I would be surprised if Santa Monica doesn’t add it in. That includes air juggling which is exciting.

I wouldn’t mind having a few Greek weapons we’ve earned from the original series like Hercs hammer fists. That would be awesome.
I am really, really hoping that they're able to improve the combat and enemies. I know I sound like a broken record but it's crucial they improve on this. I loved GoW but there were some issues- combat needs to evolve drastically. It wasn't bad, but if they don't upgrade it in a very big fashion I will think that is very bad. The other thing-- you mentioned enemies, and I agree completely. In one of the rare but remarkably disappointing "bad" moments, there's a part where Kratos has to journey into Helheim to get the heart of the bridge keeper. At some point I saw the enormous, mile-tall bird entity, and I was like "FUCK YES," I was going crazy because I thought THAT was what we would have to fight. But it turns out to be nothing but a reskinned giant. I was immensely let down, in large part because so much of the game was done so well.

. In one of the rare but remarkably disappointing "bad" moments, there's a part where Kratos has to journey into Helheim to get the heart of the bridge keeper. At some point I saw the enormous, mile-tall bird entity, and I was like "FUCK YES," I was going crazy because I thought THAT was what we would have to fight. But it turns out to be nothing but a reskinned giant. I was immensely let down, in large part because so much of the game was done so well.

Oh that was Hræsvelgr , that was supposed to be a fight but there wasn't enough time or resources in the end for it to happen.

Also in Norse mythology there are 3 birds that appear to signal Ragnarok is coming, one in Hellheim, one in Jotenheim and the other in Asgard.

The signs of Ragnarok in order. Baldr's death, 3 endless winters with no summer called "Fimbulwinter". The two wolves in the sky swallowing the sun and the moon, the stars will go dark. The 3 roosters crow. Heimdall will blow his horn, the final sign.

Anyone who’s shitting on the visuals likely watched it on a cell phone.

Watched on my main set in 4K and it was absolutely beautiful.

I'm utterly outraged that the sequel to an amazing game looks this amazing... disgusting.

They can't just change the perspective back and force players into that, not that i think they would, because players like me who haven't played the old GoW games bought GoW because of how it looks now. What they could do though is have a classic mode where the view and gameplay is tweaked to suit the older games, that would be cool.

Another thing they could do is take a page from Nier Automata, a game i love, so it would be the newer perspective throughout most of the game but then in certain sections the camera moves to top down so you can dispatch enemies easier, this would also allow you to fight 10+ mobs at once, something that you couldn't do in the last game. It works really well in Nier Automata so i have no doubt it would work here.

They can't just change the perspective back and force players into that, not that i think they would, because players like me who haven't played the old GoW games bought GoW because of how it looks now. What they could do though is have a classic mode where the view and gameplay is tweaked to suit the older games, that would be cool.

Another thing they could do is take a page from Nier Automata, a game i love, so it would be the newer perspective throughout most of the game but then in certain sections the camera moves to top down so you can dispatch enemies easier, this would also allow you to fight 10+ mobs at once, something that you couldn't do in the last game. It works really well in Nier Automata so i have no doubt it would work here.

Exactly, maybe my post wasn’t clear. It wouldn’t be for the game entire game, my guess is it would be for certain fight sequences. We would still play over Kratos shoulder but a nod to old fans with old school Kratos combat could be (and should be) a likely scenario.

Exactly, maybe my post wasn’t clear. It wouldn’t be for the game entire game, my guess is it would be for certain fight sequences. We would still play over Kratos shoulder but a nod to old fans with old school Kratos combat could be (and should be) a likely scenario.

I thought that's what you meant, but i had to cover my bases just in case.

I am really, really hoping that they're able to improve the combat and enemies. I know I sound like a broken record but it's crucial they improve on this. I loved GoW but there were some issues- combat needs to evolve drastically. It wasn't bad, but if they don't upgrade it in a very big fashion I will think that is very bad. The other thing-- you mentioned enemies, and I agree completely. In one of the rare but remarkably disappointing "bad" moments, there's a part where Kratos has to journey into Helheim to get the heart of the bridge keeper. At some point I saw the enormous, mile-tall bird entity, and I was like "FUCK YES," I was going crazy because I thought THAT was what we would have to fight. But it turns out to be nothing but a reskinned giant. I was immensely let down, in large part because so much of the game was done so well.

One of the major critiques of the game was enemy variety and bosses. Although the trolls weren’t technically bosses I think people were bummed because they were used as filler. By the end of the game o think we only got 4 main boss fights iirc. The devs definitely mentioned there would be a wider range of enemies and bosses. They’re also updated the combat with more options and allowing more layer creativity. I personally hope we get a few more weapons.

GIF-incredulous-Wedding-Crashers-WTF-GIF.gif
I wonder if he complained about the one dwarf being blue in the previous game as well...

Back