Official Judo Thread

but i think the idea is that if you throw someone that hard in a real situation (and they land on their back and likely get KO'd or significantly injured) it may not be relevant the position you land in nor how much subsequent immediate control you have

I hate Ippon.

Really, I can't stand it.

Kano is probably turning over in his grave that the IOC/IJF morons have taken a type of sparing and featured it as the entire F%^ing gig!!!

And I'll never understand the slavish subservience of even the smallest club to IOC/IJF insanity.

I remember maybe....two years ago? When they handed down some new edicts to protect the neck (Some of which were LONG OVERDUE, watching guys try and bump off their bridged necks to avoid Ippon is just disgusting...Just so we are clear, I was 100% in favor of that, and ANYTHING that protects the neck/spine, I don't want to be or see anyone paralyzed.)

....but they also banned the fireman's carry take over. (Sorry, don't feel like looking up the name...fine...KATA GURUMA, you happy?)

...Which happened to be the lead coach's bread and butter finisher. And he was the one reading it out to the rest of us, and he just says "So no more Kata Guruma...Ok, let's get on it."

I'm like "Huh?.....You don't CARE?! That hold is no more risky than a dozen others, (I'm thinking this not saying it out loud.) And why do WE give two f^%ks what the IOC/IJF say? Unless we agree its a good idea? There isn't one person here that wants to ban Kata Guruma, so...WTF!?!?

It also started to bug me that in Randori it was either Tachiwaza OR Newaza (Standing or ground sparing)
I asked "Why can't we just continue to the ground? Do it all at once?" The Ippon addicts acted like I had just asked the stupidest question in the history of verbal communication, while I could a bunch of other guys were thinking the same thing. A bunch of guys came up to me and said so, later on.

The main place I train (Trained, it hasn't started up again yet) has "open mat" Saturdays, so I pitched "WWE Rules" (Pinfall or submission to win, legs are in, kata Guruma is in, Kani Basami (If you can pull it off...turns out, some of the guys had KILLER Kani Basamis....injuries? ZERO. I've been hit with it MULTIPLE times, I always get a kick out of it when someone nails me with it too...I'm always like: (Beavis and Butthead voice) "...heh...heh...that was cool....heh" Leg submissions IN! NO PULLING GUARD. You have to finish on the ground, but you don't get to the ground unless someone PUTS you there, no stalling, no stale-mates ect. (Not that anyone wants to do that in gym sparring anyway, the point of the rules is to have more FUN, not to start stalling and pulling guard ect.)

HOLY MOTHERF%$ER IS IT FUN!

And guess what, it IMPROVES your stand-up throws, NOW you aren't just throwing a guy ass over teakettle for nothing, you need to make sure you and he lands in a position where you can legitimately finish him. I'm not one of those "If this was a real fight..." guys, but this is supposed to be combat! Sport combat, but combat none the less, if you haven't made a guy give up, or haven't tied him in a knot to the point where he is 100% under your control...well than why is it considered a "win"?

And let me point something out. This is no more dangerous than anything we'd do normally, in fact, because of the added time on the ground, I'd say it's a hell of a lot SAFER (ALL injuries occur during Tachi Waza,) I've yet to see ANYONE hurt in Newaza....I take that back, I know a guy who received a major concussion when a white belt recklessly jumped his guard and landed right on his head during a BJJ class...I think pulling guard is weak, but I think guard jumping is just dumb....but we don't do either, so there.

It occurred to me while we were doing it, that THIS IS JUDO! And that "Ippon" Squash game B.S is the imposter.

Also, I have since discovered the A.A.U now competes under "Freestyle Judo" rules....which are IDENTICAL (More or less, theirs are more refined.) to my WWE Rules....Great minds think alike.

Judo needs to be FREED from the abomination the IOC/IJF have turned it into....what they are doing IS NOT JUDO! It's a f^%king sparring drill!

i stopped reading when you suggested leg grabs were banned for safety

Going down a shodan line up rabbit hole on youtube. Seems like a truest way to test black belt ability.

Anybody got any stories from there own line ups? Any specific training you undertook prior to the 3 contests?

Also nobody seems to post there failures to youtube :) Has anybody here failed in their attempts?

You want someone to start a youtube channel of their Judo fails?

I would have no problem creating content for such a venture.

I might start with a video titled "WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TUCK YOUR GODDAMN CHIN"

And show me being concussed off a particularly brutal Osoto Gari. There is a video of it. It's actually kind of funny, me and the other guy are tussling around then WHAM!!!!! FULL follow though....I'm just lying there like I'm dead, and one of the guy's watching says "Yeah, this one's OVER."

Judo stole from Catch Wrestling. But when the theft started?

The teacher of the teacher of the teacher of Kosei Inoue was a catch wrestler named Pop Moore. Pop was a student of Frank Gotch.

Interestingly Kotani was Kano's last direct student and Kano described Kotani's Judo as "Kotani's Judo is the kind i like". It seems that the kind of Judo that Kano liked was catch wrestling :)

The big throw so far today (in significance at least) is a very slick footsweep by Mudranov in golden time for Russia's gold medal against a Kazakhstani.

Can't seem to embed the video but it's here.

russian wrestlers and sambo dudes are good at those

I haven't trained Judo for a while (at least a year) and I think I am finished with it. I only have time for BJJ and wrestling (my club offers both - but more-so BJJ, because it is a BJJ club but we have a good wrestling coach), but I do miss watching the Grand-Slam and Grand-Prix events.

Also, knowing that the Olympics would have been in Japan soon :(, seeing Ono (hopefully) and the Abes (Uta and Hifumi) possibly get double gold would have been epic. But we have to wait until Judo has resumed fully, so we can see the conclusion of the Abe vs. Maruyama rivalry and who gets the Olympic spot. Also, my boy Takato and Igolnikov.

You're going nowhere sir! You've pounded Judo into your soul. You can use what you've learned regardless of where you are.

Judo is for everybody! When you learn, you take a piece with you. Grow as much as you need, then give as much as you can!

I haven't been in the Dojo since March, but the mats will be there when I get back, whenever/wherever that is.

You're going nowhere sir! You've pounded Judo into your soul. You can use what you've learned regardless of where you are.

Judo is for everybody! When you learn, you take a piece with you. Grow as much as you need, then give as much as you can!

I haven't been in the Dojo since March, but the mats will be there when I get back, whenever/wherever that is.
Actually, I forgot. I lied a little bit, my club has a 'tachi-waza' class, which isn't an official Judo class; it is taught by a black belt who has had some coaching experience, but he is probably at a similar level to me, because I am also a black belt (but only first dan).

The class is essentially a standing takedown class (in the gi) for BJJ. All techniques shown thus far are definitely from Judo. I haven't completely left it, but it isn't accredited and nobody can compete in Judo competition from this unofficial club.

We have some randori practice too, but most guys here aren't so good at standing with the gi - so my former Judo club was much better in that regard haha

Although, I am in the same position as you, our club shut down in March, but it looks to open around the end of July, or maybe even early August

I hate Ippon.

Kano is probably turning over in his grave that the IOC/IJF morons have taken a type of sparing and featured it as the entire F%^ing gig!!!

And I'll never understand the slavish subservience of even the smallest club to IOC/IJF insanity.

I remember maybe....two years ago? When they handed down some new edicts to protect the neck (Some of which were LONG OVERDUE, watching guys try and bump off their bridged necks to avoid Ippon is just disgusting...Just so we are clear, I was 100% in favor of that, and ANYTHING that protects the neck/spine, I don't want to be or see anyone paralyzed.)

....but they also banned the fireman's carry take over. (Sorry, don't feel like looking up the name...fine...KATA GURUMA, you happy?)

...Which happened to be the lead coach's bread and butter finisher. And he was the one reading it out to the rest of us, and he just says "So no more Kata Guruma...Ok, let's get on it."

I'm like "Huh?.....You don't CARE?! That hold is no more risky than a dozen others, (I'm thinking this not saying it out loud.) And why do WE give two f^%ks what the IOC/IJF say? Unless we agree its a good idea? There isn't one person here that wants to ban Kata Guruma, so...WTF!?!?

It also started to bug me that in Randori it was either Tachiwaza OR Newaza (Standing or ground sparing)
I asked "Why can't we just continue to the ground? Do it all at once?" The Ippon addicts acted like I had just asked the stupidest question in the history of verbal communication, while I could a bunch of other guys were thinking the same thing. A bunch of guys came up to me and said so, later on.

The main place I train (Trained, it hasn't started up again yet) has "open mat" Saturdays, so I pitched "WWE Rules" (Pinfall or submission to win, legs are in, kata Guruma is in, Kani Basami (If you can pull it off...turns out, some of the guys had KILLER Kani Basamis....injuries? ZERO. I've been hit with it MULTIPLE times, I always get a kick out of it when someone nails me with it too...I'm always like: (Beavis and Butthead voice) "...heh...heh...that was cool....heh" Leg submissions IN! NO PULLING GUARD. You have to finish on the ground, but you don't get to the ground unless someone PUTS you there, no stalling, no stale-mates ect. (Not that anyone wants to do that in gym sparring anyway, the point of the rules is to have more FUN, not to start stalling and pulling guard ect.)

And guess what, it IMPROVES your stand-up throws, NOW you aren't just throwing a guy ass over teakettle for nothing, you need to make sure you and he lands in a position where you can legitimately finish him. I'm not one of those "If this was a real fight..." guys, but this is supposed to be combat! Sport combat, but combat none the less, if you haven't made a guy give up, or haven't tied him in a knot to the point where he is 100% under your control...well than why is it considered a "win"?

And let me point something out. This is no more dangerous than anything we'd do normally, in fact, because of the added time on the ground, I'd say it's a hell of a lot SAFER (ALL injuries occur during Tachi Waza,) I've yet to see ANYONE hurt in Newaza....I take that back, I know a guy who received a major concussion when a white belt recklessly jumped his guard and landed right on his head during a BJJ class...I think pulling guard is weak, but I think guard jumping is just dumb....but we don't do either, so there.

It occurred to me while we were doing it, that THIS IS JUDO! And that "Ippon" Squash game B.S is the imposter.

Also, I have since discovered the A.A.U now competes under "Freestyle Judo" rules....which are IDENTICAL (More or less, theirs are more refined.) to my WWE Rules....Great minds think alike.

Judo needs to be FREED from the abomination the IOC/IJF have turned it into....what they are doing IS NOT JUDO! It's a f^%king sparring drill!

I hear you, I really do. But then I think, does it really make a big deal?

I don't think it does. The vast majority of judo clubs I have visited or even looked into run old school judo teachings. I mean even in rural remote areas. The concepts of judo remain. I have heard that from too many friends that stated how much they hated this and that being taken away, yet they never really ever did 'this and that' to anything that would seem to upset them.

I do wish, like you, that it was more old skool as well, but I never had any problem with it that cannot be controlled by myself. I'm a bit of a lefty but won't give IJF everything.

I hate Ippon.

F yeah, I love good proper freestyle Judo but it's rare as hell to find a place that does it at a high level.

I was lucky enough to grow up Judoka, quit before the leg grab ban, then later in life end up at Hayastan.

Rondori with a ton of Judo players who are training and competing under nogi and mma rules is GLORIOUS.

PURE GLORIOUS JUDO. WITH LEG GRABS AND LEG LOCKS.

Hell, Karo taught me my son's favorite game. He'd run up take your back before class while chatting or stretching on the mat and then expect you to shoulder throw him. My boy jumps on my back since he was 2, and gets a gentle seo nagi ride layed down on the couch or a carpet and loves to rinse and repeat that sequence.

Last edited:
Modern Judo sucks without a ring out it just turns into a bunch of edge of Mat politics

Unbelievable they never learned that simple lesson from sumo

Modern Judo sucks without a ring out it just turns into a bunch of edge of Mat politics

Unbelievable they never learned that simple lesson from sumo
This doesn't seem to be the case to me at all. Unless there are issues you find at your local grassroots competitions, which are not addressed by the governing body.

It's certainly not the case at the top level.

This doesn't seem to be the case to me at all. Unless there are issues you find at your local grassroots competitions, which are not addressed by the governing body.

It's certainly not the case at the top level.
Are you saying that "high level" judo grapplers dont commonly use the ring out as a "do over"

Back