PlayStation Official Returnal Discussion

Bought it today, on Nightshift just now looking forward to playing it when I get home

I'm a few hours in, and the haptic controller is such a nice feature when devs take advantage of it. The way they incorporate alt fire into the left trigger is super clever.

At the beginning of this gen I was wondering if I even wanted a ps5 because Sony has started porting some of their games to PC, but I honestly don't want to miss out on the haptic feedback/functionality when it's well done.

Yesterday got an error that pulled me out of the game, and the next runs were bugged, the game started that I needed to finish downloading the game, but it was already installed.

I searched for a solution, which was delete and reinstall, and wait for the game to update fully before using it. It sucked because I had little time to play and could only play one run, which got harder because I'm getting malignant enemies now

Damn, I feel lucky I haven't had a single crash coming up on 15ish hours. I did read on a different forum that someone was speculating that a lot of the crashes seemed to be DLC cosmetic suits. I like the default best so only tried them on but haven't been back. Not sure what everyone else is experiencing but worth a shot if you have the DLC suits.

After making it to the 3rd biome was looking forward to starting a fresh run with the grapple gun. Can certainly pick up a lot more stuff in the first area but unless you're looking for the +5 ether from the first boss or data cube reader thing after the fight, doesn't seem to worth while to take him out again. A lot more efficient on weapon progress to take the short cut to the desired biome and just pick up the proficiency drop to level to the appropriate biome.

I did take some time doing the second biome to unlock all of the +5 weapon proficiencies. Seemed to always drop varients I didn't need or would see a few drops back to back of stuff I needed before I could unlock what I needed. Fast travel makes it easier to hard to remember where you leave guns since they don't show on your full map.

Picking it up here soon. Best Buy order got delayed, even Amazon was showing delivery as Friday. Cancelled everything and found a copy at Target for in store pickup. Can’t wait to get in it tonight.

Also learned the hard way this morning that if you pony up the ether to activate the scanner checkpoint, it only works in that biome. It makes sense but wasn't sure until it backfired on me.

Activated one in the first biome because I had max ether and was planning on killing the boss because I had a data cube to upload. Made it to the third biome and was playing a little wreckless because I thought I had a back up. Super butt hurt when I died and was hit with the opening crash cinematic.

Also, after a bunch of looking I still haven't found what Weapon Research does other than open more of the weapon description on your equipment screen.

This game is hard as fuck, i've played it for about 6 hours and made it to the first boss once lol. I'm reasonably good at roguelikes too.

Can someone explain weapon proficiency to me? i'm not grasping some of the upgrade mechanics.

Last edited:
This game is hard as fuck, i've played it for about 6 hours and made it to the first boss once lol. I'm reasonably good at roguelites too.

Can someone explain weapon proficiency to me? i'm not grasping some of the upgrade mechanics.

Weapon Proficiency dictates the quality of the weapons you pick up. The higher your proficiency the higher the star ratings and stats will be on the weapons you find.

Certain Weapon Traits will only show up at Weapon Proficiency 5, then another tier unlock at 15. Only made it to 12 myself so haven't unlocked the next tier.

Weapon Traits also unlock when using a weapon, and once unlocked they have a chance to show up anytime you pick up that weapon again. I believe that you can only level up a Trait to the tier that is assigned to the weapon.

For example the Sidearm can come with a trait of Pierce I. Once you kill enough enemies to unlock Pierce, you can't continue to unlock the next level with the Tier I skill. I believe you need to find a higher level weapon that will have Pierce II. But once unlocked it can show up on any future Sidearm. All the Weapon Traits I've seen appear to have a max of Tier III.

Also, after you beat a boss you unlock a shortcut that you can jump straight into the next biome. When you do this there is a weapon proficiency booster that jumps you to 5 in the second biome and 9 in the third.

Last edited:
Also learned the hard way this morning that if you pony up the ether to activate the scanner checkpoint, it only works in that biome. It makes sense but wasn't sure until it backfired on me.

Activated one in the first biome because I had max ether and was planning on killing the boss because I had a data cube to upload. Made it to the third biome and was playing a little wreckless because I thought I had a back up. Super butt hurt when I died and was hit with the opening crash cinematic.

Also, after a bunch of looking I still haven't found what Weapon Research does other than open more of the weapon description on your equipment screen.

Sigh... Also died fucking around in the third Biome. I was getting cocky. It was my 3rd run (i want to count it as my 2nd since my 2nd ended abruptly from a crash). Iwas in the 3rd Bio with max life, 12 artifacts, 1 very beneficial parasite, had my favorite weapon. Fucked around jumping around trying to get to ledges and was at about half health. Figured I'd be alright... Picked up a new weapon I'd never seen and figured i'd try it. Ran into some scrubs and just.. i dunno. I suddenly died... I was soooo pissed. Was doing so great, kicking ass, feeling damn near invincible.

4th run was ugly. i was mucking around in the 1st biome with my first weapon and ran into a pair of strong enemies about 3 mins into the run. I am like "already!?". Got wiped out. This game escalated the difficulty right away.. assholes.

SIGH....

Weapon Proficiency dictates the quality of the weapons you pick up. The higher your proficiency the higher the star ratings and stats will be on the weapons you find.

Certain Weapon Traits will only show up at Weapon Proficiency 5, then another tier unlock at 15. Only made it to 12 myself so haven't unlocked the next tier.

Weapon Traits also unlock when using a weapon, and once unlocked they have a chance to show up anytime you pick up that weapon again. I believe that you can only level up a Trait to the tier that is assigned to the weapon.

For example the Sidearm can come with a trait of Pierce I. Once you kill enough enemies to unlock Pierce, you can't continue to unlock the next level with the Tier I skill. I believe you need to find a higher level weapon that will have Pierce II. But once unlocked it can show up on any future Sidearm. All the Weapon Traits I've seen appear to have a max of Tier III.

Also, after you beat a boss you unlock a shortcut that you can jump straight into the next biome. When you do this there is a weapon proficiency booster that jumps you to 5 in the second biome and 9 in the third.

Thank you, very helpful.

Sigh... Also died fucking around in the third Biome. I was getting cocky. It was my 3rd run (i want to count it as my 2nd since my 2nd ended abruptly from a crash). Iwas in the 3rd Bio with max life, 12 artifacts, 1 very beneficial parasite, had my favorite weapon. Fucked around jumping around trying to get to ledges and was at about half health. Figured I'd be alright... Picked up a new weapon I'd never seen and figured i'd try it. Ran into some scrubs and just.. i dunno. I suddenly died... I was soooo pissed. Was doing so great, kicking ass, feeling damn near invincible.

4th run was ugly. i was mucking around in the 1st biome with my first weapon and ran into a pair of strong enemies about 3 mins into the run. I am like "already!?". Got wiped out. This game escalated the difficulty right away.. assholes.

SIGH....

Man, I've come off of really great runs thinking I can quickly turn around and rush the 1st area for some quick power ups only to get absolutely curb stomped. Coming across elite spawns in like the second chamber with the starter pistol only to follow up that room with another large chamber with 2 of the green dudes that spit the sticky slime at you. It's humbling for sure.

Beat the first boss onto the second biome. Loving pretty much everything about the game.

Finally played a bit last night. Got a run going to the first boss and did ok, got it down to its last health bar but definitely need to work on my mechanics. I’m really enjoying it so far though. Everything has just been really satisfying. The game looks fantastic, the movement is fluid, gun play is fun, the haptic feedback is incredible, the 3D audio works really well with the sound design. Everything just looks and feels good. Hard to explain without actually playing it. Think I’m going to sink a good amount of time into this.

Last edited:
What is this game comparable to? Dead Space?

What is this game comparable to? Dead Space?

Honestly it feels like Resogun except you're a human and you can also dash or jump over the projectiles in a Metroid 3D environment... It's creepy like Dead Space yes... LOL.

SIGH... :(

Reached the 3rd level boss loaded up (max health, max proficiency, with my favorite weapon). Beat him down to his last 1/3 of his final health bar before dying. Got revived with everything. Figured I'd hit up the last yellow room (extra strong opponents) and see if I could get anything that might help me. Got sloppy and wrecked/died a miserable death. Tis fuckin' game...

SIGH... :(

Reached the 3rd level boss loaded up (max health, max proficiency, with my favorite weapon). Beat him down to his last 1/3 of his final health bar before dying. Got revived with everything. Figured I'd hit up the last yellow room (extra strong opponents) and see if I could get anything that might help me. Got sloppy and wrecked/died a miserable death. Tis fuckin' game...

I haven’t tried, but can you activate the same checkpoint again or are they one and done? It would be nice to keep activating as long as you had the ether to cover to keep a run alive, but guessing you can’t.

What is is favorite guns for your runs? Hands down favorite for me is the Electropylon Driver. Not crazy powerful on hit but keeps up sustained damage over time so you can lay down a ton of damage while staying behind cover. I think it was an early unlock for the digital delux copy. I bought the delux to support the dev not know what it unlocked and glad I did now. I think it’s in the normal game, but just unlocks later.

The Tier II variants of the assault rifle are pretty good too. Raising Pitch is a killer. The amount of rounds it pumps out is crazy.

I found a toxic slime launcher that is retry garbage. Good damage over time but only one shot and the overload window is crazy fast.

Back