Okay what the hell happened to Weidman?

People don't know what they're watching if they think Chris looked that different than he did against Tavares. Difference is Tavares has fight IQ, solid leg kicks and is one of the best defensive grapplers @ MW. If you evaluated the fight carefully and also recognized Bruno himself has been washed for a while, you'd see Chris has a real path.

The Weidman downfall is overrated I think, he is 3-4 in his last 7 fights... he is not Tony where he is 0-7.

He's not Tony, but he's a former champ who hasn't won 2 in a row in nearly a decade. It's a pretty significant downfall.

I love Weidman, but he should have packed it in years ago.

He looked amazing. Probably found a different but effective rythm

Weidman is back. It's the second coming of Chris. Weidman 2.0.

Bruno is sort of a prelim guy. Anyone with a name should be able to beat him. Weidman is shot in terms of climbing up to title contention. He can still beat some prelim guys. I don't think he trains as hard anymore since he moved away to North Carolina. There is no way good way to match him. He is going to beat the lesser guys and the guys who are within the top ten are going to maul him. Maybe he can move up to 205 and fight Anthony Smith. Both guys are in the same situation.

Dying from exhaustion against Rockhold and getting kneed in the face by Romero and Mousasi, then getting knocked out by a forehead strike (?!) from Jacare and his ankle destroyed in a Hall fight. That's what happened to Weidman.
You forgot Reis punching the piss out of him

Weidman was winning against all the people that finished him. I mean... if Weidman fought Romero again, I'd bet on him, that freak knee is just too hard to consistently win by.

Beating Souza too until caught, beating moose until the knee hand game.

He's looked good even against the higher level competition. Tavares was the worst he ever looked.
Depends how you look at it. If you do count Chris' success in the incomplete rounds while ignore every bit of the opponents winning sequence, then sure he was winning half of them.

Otherwise,
Rockhold was up 29-27 and two 30-26's
Yoel and Chris were at one round apiece on all cards.
Mousasi and Chris would have been tied a round apiece if Weidman survived.
Jacare, he would have beat if he survived, since he had 2 rounds already on 2 judges scorecards
Reyes was less than 2 minutes, so there's no argument there
Hill was less than 20 seconds, so same thing.

Weidman looked good because he wasn't fighting a Championship level fighter for the first time in a long while
Well, he also got routed by unranked Tavares last time out

Ignoring the eyepokes, Chris actually looked good. I thought Bruno was going to knock him out fairly quickly but Weidman was getting the better of exchanges and he looked like the Weidman of old.
Did something happen? Did Chris hit a 'second prime' or has Bruno Silva regressed?
It'd be weird for him to hit a 'second prime' this late into his career.

Also, and this is completely unrelated, USADA's contract ended at the turn of the year.

Chris Weidman won the UFC middleweight belt in 2013 knocking out Anderson Silva, then he defended it three times.

Then in 2015 Luke Rockhold dethroned him and he lost the belt.

In the period 2016-2020 he went 2-4, losing against top tier opponents Yoel Romero, Jacare, Mousasi and Dominick Reyes.

Then in 2021 he suffered a devastating injury to his leg against Uriah Hall.

In 2023 he made a comeback but he lost via decision to Brad Tavares.

In 2024 he had his second fight back since his devastating leg injury, which he managed to controversially win, bringing his record to 3-6 since he lost the belt.

hence 'second prime'
That's not what I was alluding to. I'd never suggest that USADA'S contract ending would lead to athletes taking advantage of notoriously shoddy AC testing in order to more freely use performance enhancing substances. That'd be against the rules of the site I think.

That's not what I was alluding to. I'd never suggest that USADA'S contract ending would lead to athletes taking advantage of notoriously shoddy AC testing in order to more freely use performance enhancing substances. That'd be against the rules of the site I think.
I'm not sure any of us are ever going to be on the same page about this, sir.

<JonesLaugh>

His career nosedives the moment USADA shows up and he also suddenly has a much easier time making weight, and then when USADA is out of the picture he suddenly looks relatively good again.

Gee I wonder what the deal is with Weidman

It'd be weird for him to hit a 'second prime' this late into his career.

Also, and this is completely unrelated, USADA's contract ended at the turn of the year.
hence 'second prime'
His career nosedives the moment USADA shows up and he also suddenly has a much easier time making weight, and then when USADA is out of the picture he suddenly looks relatively good again.

Gee I wonder what the deal is with Weidman
You guys do realize that you can view Weidman and any other fighters testing history under the new policy too right? He's been tested 2x.

You can also just read the policy on that same site and it's practically lifted word for word from what USADA's said. Including shit like the 6 months testing pool requirement which I'm sure you all were among the ones bitching would be removed.

Back