Old news but still unsolved Spider vs Maia what happened there?

Silva has been traumatized by surprise subs

cho.gif

QArYawe.gif

So he'd rather play a game of tag, than actually fight, when he'd have to fight someone like Maia or Leites who could possibly pull of the same kind of traumatizing sub.

Silva is a counter striker especially back then and if his opponents wouldn’t lead the dance, nothing would happen. Maia didn’t want to engage on the feet, so Anderson tried to coax him into it whilst avoiding the grappling. Just a terrible stylistic match up.

man... Silva's just on another level, he could have finished Maia whenever he wanted...

Anderson clowned around and kinda gassed himself out a little bit. Just an ugly matchup of a grappler who doesnt want to engage with a striker and a striker who doesnt want to engage with a grappler. Sort of like Werdum/Overeem 1

You mean Werdum/Overeem II?
Well, their first fight in PRIDE wasn't exactly a barn burner either (been a while since I haven't rewatch it from start to finish though), but it wasn't as Andersaiaesque as their second meeting in Strikeforce.

As a.brazilian myself i can say somethings i think happened
- brazilians don't like to fight countryman
- frendship is a very important thing to us and that include sports, so competition by members of a "same team" is seem a disrespectiful.
Hey! Not trying to disprove your claim, but how do you quantify the level of importance friendship has among people from the same country, compared to others?

Are there countries where friendship is notoriously unimportant due to a bunch of factors?

I do remember that Vitor Belfort used to be very unpopular among his peers, because he would train in different teams before that was a thing, and people were worried he might tell fighters from one camp the weaknesses of another, and called Vitor a mercenary with no loyalty.
But he was also super popular with the MMA casuals in Brazil;

During a time when Wanderlei was the world champion, it felt weird when Brazilians told us that Wand wasn't that popular over there compared to Vitor...
And it might be weird to hear now that Wand is disliked by almost every casual thanks to the Sonnen beef, but there was a time when he was untouchable, and loved by almost everyone on Sherdog.

Anderson was mad because in an interview Maia said if Anderson is the spider then it makes it easier for him to submit him because he has 8 legs, Anderson got upset over it, also the fact that Maia was a rich white Brazilian, and Anderson was the poor black Brazilian, im pretty sure it was all explained somewhere, I remember reading about it, basically Anderson was really butthurt and wanted to take out his frustrations on Maia for having an easier life than him

In Anderson's mind Maia was a Playboy and Anderson treat him as one.

while i would remain a practitioner from several more years, as a viewer my interest was already waning, that show, especially the main event, had a huge impact in me losing interest in MMA

It's crazy how people just ignore the first 3 and a half rounds of that fight.

Silva refused to engage full force and embarrassed DW and was very hard to watch, why? What happened there any good explanation?
people always blame Silva but never point out that Maia didnt do anything either stood there most of fight couple times the spider had chase him
f1985bf36a137ce8-anderson-silva-guitar-hero-fighter-gif-create-discover.gif

People don’t realize due to revisionist history but Silva in general used all of his formidable skills to disrespect and embarrass his opposition. This played out in numerous fights and intimately led to his embarrassing loss to Weidman.

it's really not that unsolved, unless you listen to the voices in anderson silva's head that come out in his interviews. he was terrified of going to the ground with maia, and with good reason. it's not a coincidence that the leites fight looked exactly the same.

Didn't have the gas tank to finish him, didn't want to risk engaging in the grappling. Which I don't blame him for.

Clowned a lot to cover up the fact that he was getting tired and isn't good at coming forward applying pressure.

I beieve Anderson got halfway gassed, and didn't want to take a chance on getting taken down. That's why he started avoiding any psysical contact with Maia, making it boring.

Apparently Silva was upset Maia said he will take one of Silvas limb home

It was a game of cat and mouse. Both could be the cat, or both cold be the mouse. Luckily for Silva, all rounds start off standing.

I also theorized at the time that Anderson didn’t want to inflict unnecessary damage on someone, especially a fellow Brazilian. Just a theory. Why give someone brain damage if you can win without doing so. I know there are plenty of counter arguments to this, so spare me. It was just a theory.

This has been my theory for the longest time. From Leites to Maia, he will carry them til the 5th rd.

As a.brazilian myself i can say somethings i think happened
- brazilians don't like to fight countryman
- frendship is a very important thing to us and that include sports, so competition by members of a "same team" is seem a disrespectiful.

All and all might seem as disrespectiful for americans but im pretty sure anderson acted that way because he didn't want to "hurt" humiliate maia.

Anyway thats my view on it by my eyes, could be another thing

This is an odd take to me. Anderson started his career in Brazil, so of course, most of his early fights are against Brazilians, then he goes on his run where he doesn't fight a fellow countryman for 6 years until Leites and decides he won't go all out. Anderson again chooses not to be an aggressor against a fellow Brazilian in Maia, a year later, Anderson starches Belfort.

Back