Media Older fans need to accept that UFC is now entertainment 1st, competition 2nd

Old fans remember the Tito v Ken saga...dramatics are nothing new in the sport.

I do think since Merab volunteering to make himself irrelevant as a contender in the division should have stayed out of that moment. He's not going to fight Sean next and he won't challenge Aljo.

A 5 round title fight directly preceded these interactions. Competition literally came 1st. :cool:
Right? TS apparently didn't watch the actual fights last night, where both the main and co-main events were held between fighters at the very top of their respective divisions in highly competitive but not necessarily entertaining fights.
There have always been shenanigans and trash talking. This is nothing new at all. Young fans need to stop telling old fans what they need to do
<{nope}>

Brock Lesnar got a title shot in the 4th fight of his career. He was 3-1 and they put him in for the HW belt.

That was 10 years ago?
Brock also got to skip over the interim champs to fight for the undisputed title.

Nog held the interim strap at the time, then had to face Frank Mir to defend the interim strap while Randy took the money fight with 2-1 Brock.

Is this about O'Malley getting a title shot? Bad timing if so. He actually earned his title shot

You had about a billion opportunities to make this claim, but you did it when someone who just beat Petr Yan gets a title shot?

If only the UFC would run their sport like a D1 wrestling tournament. The organization would be worth $thousands$ by now.

13501980_1392146117468715_4727415098045191533_n.jpg

ortiz-ken.jpg

tank-abbott-rants-about-ronda-700.jpg

WKEpOg5.gif

UnkemptPeriodicBighorn-max-1mb.gif

Was it?

older fans have known that the UFC historically has never been the best. it was never about pure competition, rankings that made sense, the best fighting the best. newer fans are just now noticing.

UFC fightErs so poor they have to share outfits
Dana Beige BAD

Ha, I almost edited it to say the same thing.

I'd say at least once the tournament format was ending, they've been able to control who fights who, and who gets promoted. It's only been exacerbated with social media.

Brock got a shot off one UFC win in 2008.

Diaz got a title shot coming off a loss.

Chael got a shot at LHW.

They also are selective on who is allotted an opportunity at double champ status. That wasn't really a thing before Conor, but there are several other fighters who could have achieved it.

Yes and no.

It's is a legit sport and run as one, while they try to maximize profit with the entertainment aspect.

Some fights will be based on merit, others will not be.

That way it still holds their legitimacy while they can occasionally just set up the big money fights.

That's how it's been for a long while now and it works best for their product. They're not gonna go full-WWE but it's not gonna be like one of those ball sports either.

Wait.

It's a legitimate sport because they are fair...sometimes?

But that's not how being fair works though, right? lol

older fans have known that the UFC historically has never been the best. it was never about pure competition, rankings that made sense, the best fighting the best. newer fans are just now noticing.
It's slowly getting worse for the UFC, other organizations are paying better and the fighters can have sponsors, plus they are being treating with respect. I think the tides turning and in a decade or so we'll be looking at a different MMA landscape.

We don't have to accept shit! Get off our lawn we water twice a day just to cut it 3 times a week.

At least all the cards are free so can tune in & out at will.

It's slowly getting worse for the UFC, other organizations are paying better and the fighters can have sponsors, plus they are being treating with respect. I think the tides turning and in a decade or so we'll be looking at a different MMA landscape.
agreed 100%, with all the points. francis leaving too is huge. lack of sponsors for the fighters make no sense. i think the landscape is changing in real time and i give it a few years before the UFC is dealing with a vastly inferior product to the eyes and perceptions of fans domestic, worldwide, virtual. it will be undeniable soon.

Back