Non-Olympic Wrestlers:
Jones

Karate Kids:
GSP
Nunes

BJJ:
BJ

The science is settled ladies & gentlemen

Olympic wrestling is better than folkstyle for MMA as long as you learn BJJ at some point which anyone does those days

yeah folkstyle has more ground control but it is largely evened out when you learn BJJ and Olympic freestyle wrestling has a more diverse takedown repertoire

all Caucasus guy have learned freestyle and yes they mix it with judo/Sambo but freestyle is still his base

it was the wrestlers that ran the gracies out of mma.

it is still evident today looking at how gordan ryan and dillon danis want nothing to do with mma

Breaking News : Olympic Athletes are better than week end warriors !

Conor achieved this feat with no wrestling. First man to achieve KO’s in 3 weight classes. Never been done..
I would bet my account that has been done a bunch of times,and actual KOs, not a shot 0-7 choker giving up on shoulder strikes

Conor achieved this feat with no wrestling. First man to achieve KO’s in 3 weight classes. Never been done. Irish Sambo confirmed best base for champ champ in the modern era.

Don't forget he did it on one leg. He said that leg that snapped was always broken.

Don't forget he did it on one leg. He said that legbthat snapped was always broken.

Vs opponents tree times his size, no less. No wonder everyone’s wives are in his DMs.

it was the wrestlers that ran the gracies out of mma.

it is still evident today looking at how gordan ryan and dillon danis want nothing to do with mma
images

I think Jiu Jitsu can upgrade Wrestling, A good Wrestler with Good Jiu Jitsu it's more scary.

Gordon Mix Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu.

On the ground Jiu Jitsu it's the best style of world look at ADCC.

Those American wrestlers were the greatest folk style wrestlers in order to represent the US in freestyle

American wrasslin’ is the best base, mix in the stand-n-bang approach and you get good results

I know it feels good to wrestlers to keep pushing this foolhardy narrative, but it really makes no sense at all.

Champs are mostly strikers right now, that idea really has gone to the wayside no matter how much you try to push it. Olympic wrestlers aren't any better than anyone else at this sport; it's about your overall abilities.

Kevin Jackson was as decorated as it gets in Olympic/international wrestling, and lost by armbar twice, leading to him quitting the sport.

Olympic wrestling is better than folkstyle for MMA as long as you learn BJJ at some point which anyone does those days

yeah folkstyle has more ground control but it is largely evened out when you learn BJJ and Olympic freestyle wrestling has a more diverse takedown repertoire

all Caucasus guy have learned freestyle and yes they mix it with judo/Sambo but freestyle is still his base
I don't see any caucus double Champs. Hell the two Olympic wrestlers in OPs list grew up doing Folkstyle and than wrestled Greco, not Freestyle.

I know it feels good to wrestlers to keep pushing this foolhardy narrative, but it really makes no sense at all.

Champs are mostly strikers right now, that idea really has gone to the wayside no matter how much you try to push it. Olympic wrestlers aren't any better than anyone else at this sport; it's about your overall abilities.
Yep, you need to be an MMA fighter. This isn't the 90s. Cejudo was an Olympic wrestler and he got outgrappled by a DIII college wrestler. Izzy was an elite kickboxer and got fucked up by a guy I've never seen kickbox.

Olympic Wrestlers:
Randy Couture
Dan Henderson
Daniel Cormier
Henry Cejudo

Non-Olympic Wrestlers:
Jones

Karate Kids:
GSP
Nunes

BJJ:
BJ

The science is settled ladies & gentlemen

Can't take this argument seriously when you think GSP's style was karate.

Also, Machida beat both Dan Henderson and Couture so Karate > Olympic wrestling.

Can't take this argument seriously when you think GSP's style was karate.

Also, Machida beat both Dan Henderson and Couture so Karate > Olympic wrestling.
Karate was his original base, He didn't become a wrestler until Serra tko'd him.

They were out of the their primes clearly, even still the head-to-head is irrelevant when the topic is 2-division champ status. Unfortunately Machida couldn't get it done vs Weidman. Valiant effort though.

Karate was his original base, He didn't become a wrestler until Serra tko'd him.

GSP's striking style was obviously influenced by karate. But that was never his base like Machida or Wonderboy. And he didn't pick up wrestling after losing to Matt Serra. He had been training wrestling since he was a teenager.

Yes, he was more cautious after that loss but prior to it he beat a number of strong wrestlers like Sherk, Trigg, and Matt Hughes.

Back