O'Malley distance management and shots selection.

YoungConm

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Sean has such great distance management and awareness of it. It helps that he has great eyes and reflexes, but He's also able to do this because he's so calm but also tense enough. Calm enough to not overreact or far out of range to not be able to land his counters, but also tense enough to see the shots coming and fire the counters. The calmness comes from the fact that he's able to find his range and rhythm faster than his opponents, and he's so good at making his opponent reactive mode and react the way he wants. So his opponents are stuck in his range and Sean can guess confidently and accurately when his opponents fall short.

When his opponents do get past his range and hit him, he doesn't freak out because he also has good defense in the pocket and the boxing range, he knows it, that confidence is back up by his skills. This overall helps his decision-making at range.

This also makes him such a good sniper and creative striker. He's very good at landing the right strikes and combinations at the right time and position.

He has great spacial awareness. He is the most complete striker in MMA right now. From defense, power, speed, volume, shot selection. When he's on there's nobody that's more dynamic than him.

What I love about him is he even those he has all the skills and speed to just outskill his opponents and coast to decisions. He actually looks for the finish.

I've always been high on his striking IQ and skills but had questions about his physical and mental toughness.. He has answered those questions in the last few fights and showed he's the real deal

He has great spacial awareness. He is the most complete striker in MMA right now. From defense, power, speed, volume, shot selection. When he's on there's nobody that's more dynamic than him.

What I love about him is he even those he has all the skills and speed to just outskill his opponents and coast to decisions. He actually looks for the finish.

I've always been high on his striking IQ and skills but had questions about his physical and mental toughness.. He has answered those questions in the last few fights and showed he's the real deal
Yeah, he just has a great awareness of his surroundings in general. You rarely see him get stuck in the fence or hit the fence backing up. he's rarely out of position so his opponents can't get a good position to hit him clean. It also helps he pivot pretty well.

He is just so fucking good it's crazy.
and his counter grappling and clinch work are excellent. He is starting to look pretty unstoppable, but the absolute dog that is merab will prove it one way or the other

I don't like him but his skills are ridiculous. If he can beat merab or ilia (which I doubt) guy is a absolute monster. I was very impressed by his clinch work. He's a fragile fighter but has a huge set of offensive and defensive tools.

it is no coincidence that omalley chose this party, styles make fights

it is no coincidence that omalley chose this party, styles make fights

O'Malley chose to beat the only fighter that beat him.

Besides that he pretty much chose nothing.

i do not see how he keeps merab's head away from his crotch/groin area.

merab is going to get a whiff,

maybe omalley should quit showering for awhile before the fight

A pity he is so scrawny that hitting other people causes self inflicted injuries. The price of weight cutting, I guess.

He won the belt with a spectacular KO.

Vera has not been stopped ever in 33 professional fights. Sean broke his face.

Sean has 10 UFC wins with 6 KOs. Very solid.

O'Malley chose to beat the only fighter that beat him.

Besides that he pretty much chose nothing.
he picked Cheto, he picked Tupuria, another striker, and he avoids Merab at all costs, a top wrestler

The kind of beating Vera took was nothing short of an abomination.. Sean's striking display was picture perfect. With the exception of a couple if iffy moments, Sean's gameplan was as good as it gets.

The approach against him has to involve clinch work, dirty boxing and TDs. There is no pretty way to beat Sean.

He's vulnerable to attacks up the middle; a good teep and push kicker could punish the body enough to slow him down and/or catch him under the chin with a front kick. Chito got close with one. He also doesn't do well being forced backwards by someone with a responsible guard who can throw combinations. He's one of the more refined boxers we've seen yet in MMA but he's not without flaw.

Sean has such great distance management and awareness of it. It helps that he has great eyes and reflexes, but He's also able to do this because he's so calm but also tense enough. Calm enough to not overreact or far out of range to not be able to land his counters, but also tense enough to see the shots coming and fire the counters. The calmness comes from the fact that he's able to find his range and rhythm faster than his opponents, and he's so good at making his opponent reactive mode and react the way he wants. So his opponents are stuck in his range and Sean can guess confidently and accurately when his opponents fall short.

When his opponents do get past his range and hit him, he doesn't freak out because he also has good defense in the pocket and the boxing range, he knows it, that confidence is back up by his skills. This overall helps his decision-making at range.

This also makes him such a good sniper and creative striker. He's very good at landing the right strikes and combinations at the right time and position.
He’s got a selection of weapons in his toolbox. It makes someone like Vera a plodding, one dimensional journeyman. His movement is probably his biggest asset. The greatest always make it look so slick and easy.

One fight I thought a lot about after the Vera bout is his fight versus Pedro Munoz. It was very 50-50 before the NC stoppage. How could Sean go from that to completely outclassing Vera?

I think the answer is that in the Pedro fight Sean was very worried about getting low kicked. He'd jab and get kicked in the legs (since jabbing require you to be front-foot heavy). As such his momentum got very stymied.

In the Vera fight, he evolved past that problem by becoming more versatile with his shot selection (less jab-centric in his set-up), plus just learning to check leg kicks properly (though I noticed he would often get cracked after changing stances and sometimes trying to circle away).

As for Vera... he basically lost against Sean for the same reason he lost vs Sandhagen. Vera is reliant on finding an oppening in his opponents game. If they can be tight enough, feint enough, and be versitilie enough, a critical opening simply isn't going to be discovered. He has a game that simply doesn't work against high-level strikers.

One fight I thought a lot about after the Vera bout is his fight versus Pedro Munoz. It was very 50-50 before the NC stoppage. How could Sean go from that to completely outclassing Vera?

I think the answer is that in the Pedro fight Sean was very worried about getting low kicked. He'd jab and get kicked in the legs (since jabbing require you to be front-foot heavy). As such his momentum got very stymied.

In the Vera fight, he evolved past that problem by becoming more versatile with his shot selection (less jab-centric in his set-up), plus just learning to check leg kicks properly (though I noticed he would often get cracked after changing stances and sometimes trying to circle away).

As for Vera... he basically lost against Sean for the same reason he lost vs Sandhagen. Vera is reliant on finding an oppening in his opponents game. If they can be tight enough, feint enough, and be versitilie enough, a critical opening simply isn't going to be discovered. He has a game that simply doesn't work against high-level strikers.
Well, I think Sean has clearly improved since then. But I haven't watched that fight in a while. If I remember I think Pedro gave Omalley some trouble because he's not giving O'Malley the reactions he wanted, and he could compete with Sean at range with his kicks. And I don't remember Sean having much success finding his jab against Pedro because of the low kicks. So he can't establish his range and flows in the first round. But I remember Omalley was starting to find his range in the second round, and then the fight was stopped because of an eye poke.

he picked Cheto, he picked Tupuria, another striker, and he avoids Merab at all costs, a top wrestler
Lol "at all costs". His last fight was against Sterling who shoots for like 10-20 TDs every fight, and he's said more than 10 times that if they want him to fight Merab next he's fine with that. He just said Topuria is a more exciting matchup, which it clearly is.

Back