ONE on Prime 2: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Freight train

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Just wanted to offer my thoughts on this event: what worked, what didn’t, and what needs improvement.

THE GOOD

The fights

Six out of nine fights on this card were certified bangers. Opacic vs Staforidis got things started off on the right foot; you love to see big boys show off some serious agility and technical prowess in a thumping kickboxing match. It’s especially nice when a guy who looks like he works the checkout desk at a rental car center beats the hell out of an obviously juiced freak. Grigorian vs Ozcan was outstanding, non-stop action & a very close, back and forth contest (baffling that this wasn’t on the main card, in fact.) Amir & Freymanov both look legit frightening, and they both finished high quality opponents in devastating fashion. Stamp vs Radzuan was absolutely thrilling and if Stamp had managed to finish that leg bar, it would’ve ascended to legendary status. And of course, Xiong vs Lee was wildly entertaining and damn close as well. Once again, ONE delivered in the way that mattered most.

The diversity of disciplines

In addition to pumping out highly entertaining fights, diversity of disciplines is basically ONE’s main differentiator from the UFC, and this card did a nice job of featuring it. To see elite MMA, grappling, kickboxing, and Muay Thai in the same show is a real treat, and for me, the primary reason I watch ONE. I’m very thankful they haven’t dumbed things down in a bid to appeal to a more mainstream audience. My only complaint is that the one Muay Thai bout was terribly lopsided, while there were several good ones shoved on the 161 card 24 hours earlier.

Superior rule set

Knees to the head of a grounded opponent played a major role in almost all of the MMA fights on the card, and it was plainly obvious that it’s one of the keys to more entertaining fights. It simply does not allow for extremely boring defensive and/or stalling tactics that are all too common in the UFC, and the results are often explosive. I just wish they hadn’t banned soccer kicks; both techniques have been studied and neither is any more dangerous than what can be done on the feet.

THE BAD

The announcing, again

The announcing was a bit better this time—Dragon & Franklin were less awkward & more insightful—but the new play-by-play guy is still dull as rocks. I know Schiavello isn’t for everyone, in the same way that Dick Vitale isn’t for everyone, but I generally love the guy’s work and can’t fathom why they’ve replaced him.

New guy: “Wow, this is entertaining.”

Schiavello: “This fight has me wetter than South Florida in a hurricane! It’s nastier than divorce court! It’s got more money shots than the Bang Bus! It’s incredible! It’s surreal! It’s the best fight we’ve seen since Frank Dux took on Chong Li!”

I’m actively pissed I didn’t get to hear Schiavello call some of the fights on this card. Instead, I had to listen to a guy who sounded like he was narrating a senior golf tournament drone his way through some incredible action. For the love of god, please bring back Schiavello and let the man cook.

The refereeing

This really surprised me because ONE has a reputation for excellent refereeing that prioritizes fighter safety. But this card saw two late stoppages, one by the notoriously awful Herb Dean—who was clearly brought in for marketing reasons, rather than quality of work—and the other by Olivier Coste, who is one of the best refs in the business. I’m confident Coste will learn from his mistake, but Dean’s record of allowing athletes to take unnecessary damage is simply too long to tolerate. On a minor note, Elias Dolapsis should never be allowed to ref a kickboxing or Muay Thai fight again; he simply cannot police the clinch competently.

The replays

This was a real problem on the first Amazon Prime card, and it was a problem this time as well. Whoever is running the replay booth is doing a crap job: the angles are often wrong, the clips are seemingly random, and the connection to the announcers is non-existent. I shouldn’t have to wait to see the right slo-mo angle on Instagram hours later.

THE UGLY

Weight cutting and cancellations, again

I’m all for whatever system guarantees fighter safety, but what ONE is doing here clearly isn’t working. Way too many fighters miss weight, and it hurts the integrity of the fights. Additionally, this card was plagued by cancellations and withdrawals, some of which can be chalked up to bad luck, but some of it can’t. I don’t know what the fix is, but someone at ONE has got to figure this out.

CONCLUSION

The action in the circle was outstanding, as usual, and proved once again that ONE’s product can absolutely compete with the UFC’s. Some of the things surrounding that action, though, need to be improved. Unfortunately, when you’re taking on a behemoth like the UFC, simply having a better product isn’t enough; your execution has to be almost perfect as well and ONE has some work to do. Fingers crossed they get there.

I was saying in the pbp that I don’t mind grappling, and overall I like the idea of top grapplers getting paid, but the match on the last Prime event was bad. I don’t know how to fix this problem, either. I would prefer penalties for butt flopping, only this leads to stalling when grapplers get dominant position. It might be time to make it sub only.

After watching Bellator last night, it’s clear One is the second best promotion in MMA. They finally did it after all these years of annoying us with their $2 marketing garbage. The cost for getting to number two? A lot of money without return. But credit where credit is due.

I was saying in the pbp that I don’t mind grappling, and overall I like the idea of top grapplers getting paid, but the match on the last Prime event was bad. I don’t know how to fix this problem, either. I would prefer penalties for butt flopping, only this leads to stalling when grapplers get dominant position. It might be time to make it sub only.

After watching Bellator last night, it’s clear One is the second best promotion in MMA. They finally did it after all these years of annoying us with their $2 marketing garbage. The cost for getting to number two? A lot of money without return. But credit where credit is due.
ONE has virtually zero depth, though. Roster-wise Bellator runs circles around ONE, however, their promoting and matchmaking leaves a lot to be desired.

ONE has virtually zero depth, though. Roster-wise Bellator runs circles around ONE, however, their promoting and matchmaking leaves a lot to be desired.

I’m not sure they run circles around anyone anymore. I, too, was high on AJ, yet I’m not so sure he’ll be a top five talent moving forward; Pitbull is in the other side of prime; and I don’t know what Nemkov’s ceiling would be, but he would have problems against the top in his division. More depth? Yes, certainly. Just not as much hype as they were hoping for…their farm system hasn’t paid off, really.

We should add production is better in One. Bellator has a really nice camera, but everyone in the PBP threads complain about the commentators and on-air talent.

Last edited:
They should have put the BJJ match on the 161 card and have Grigorian vs Ozcan on the main card.

If we're looking at the MMA roster alone then maybe, and for sure in the heavier weight divisions.
But as a whole? ONE is way ahead, their kickboxing and Muay Thai rosters are seriously good.

They should have put the BJJ match on the 161 card and have Grigorian vs Ozcan on the main card.
They are thinking long term. Booking the grappling champ vs. Demetrious on a upcoming Prime event. This was the first step in promoting that.

I’m not sure they run circles around anyone anymore. I, too, was high on AJ, yet I’m not so sure he’ll be a top five talent moving forward; Pitbull is in the other side of prime; and I don’t know what Nemkov’s ceiling would be, but he would have problems against the top in his division. More depth? Yes, certainly. Just not as much hype as they were hoping for…their farm system hasn’t paid off, really.

We should add production is better in One. Bellator has a really nice camera, but everyone in the PBP threads complain about the commentators and on-air talent.
AJ is 26 ans not even in his prime yet. He had a barnburner of a fight yesterday. Granted it was against a lesser opponent but he put a clinic on him, it was great stuff. Pitbull may be a bit past him prime but he is still a top 5 FW in the world, IMO. Outside of Volk, Max, and AJ I dont know anyone who would be favored against him. In general, I think we are seeing different things, Bellator scouting is top-notch. If there is one thing they do right is recognizing and recruiting young talent. There at least 3-5 homegrown talent in each weight class, including guys like Stots, Sabatello, Pico, Brennan, Usman, AJ, Faraldo, Amasov, Rosta, Edwards, Nemkov, Cauley, Mowry, Fortune.

Production values, I do think they are lacking but it isnt that bad either. I think it is easily fixable.

Schiavello got replaced because that kind of over dramatic announcing isn't something that modern audiences seem to go for. Mauro is the same, if you're trying to get the younger generation interested in the sport then they both come across as your cringe uncle drunk at a kids birthday party

I know Schiavello isn’t for everyone

I think he’s toning down the one liners a bit and that’s good. I actually like him because I think he’s one of the fastest play by playing commentators out there. He gives off information incredibly fast and is generally a lot more with the flow of the fight than others.

Takahashi losing the last 2 fights is a disaster. Easily won both fights.

I tuned in and was thoroughly entertained. I agree, commentary is lacking but still better than Bellator's. I hope they gain more traction.

If we're looking at the MMA roster alone then maybe, and for sure in the heavier weight divisions.
But as a whole? ONE is way ahead, their kickboxing and Muay Thai rosters are seriously good.
MMA roster alone its a landslide. Legit, ONE only has like 3-5 good or decent fighters per weight class. Now, as far more entertaining events, I think ONE definitively has an edge.

MMA roster alone its a landslide. Legit, ONE only has like 3-5 good or decent fighters per weight class. Now, as far more entertaining events, I think ONE definitively has an edge.

Tbf in terms of in cage action I think Bellator has had a really good year, especially by their previous standards.

Tbf in terms of in cage action I think Bellator has had a really good year, especially by their previous standards.
Some main events aside, just really bad booking or luck with those.

Good: Gracie vs. Storley, Mousasi vs. Vanderford, Borics vs. Burnell, Cyborg vs. Blencowe 2. Mousasi vs. Eblen, Gracie vs. Yamauchi, Bader vs. Moldavsky (I enjoyed it surprisingly)

Forgettable: Velasquez vs. Carmouche, Henderson vs. Queally, Pitbull vs. Borics, Pitbull vs. McKee 2

Abysmal: Bader vs. Kongo, MVP vs. Storley, Lima vs. Jackson

That May double action of Bader vs. Kongo and MVP vs. Storley was chefs kiss

Hey I know you are pretty high on Taira, I though he was going to be -400 against Vergara but he is at around -250. Am I missing anything?

Hey I know you are pretty high on Taira, I though he was going to be -400 against Vergara but he is at around -250. Am I missing anything?

I don't think so, Vergara is pretty tough though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back