Ono's Osoto

peregrine

Kahuna Dog
@Brown
Reaction score
Some videos and analysis of Shohei Ono's osoto variants.
Check it out and add some of your favorite vids of Ono, osoto or other.

Very cool. I need to play around with the armpit grip - looks very strong for control and keeping opponent away in case you botch the throw.

I haven't watched enough Judo lately but does Ono ever do the "knee osoto" as shown by Jimmy Pedro?

I really like a similar variation - a "knee hook" osoto where you hook the back of uke's knee with your heel and use it to both collapse their knee forward and pull yourself into position to complete the throw. I've seen a vid of someone teaching it but can't remember who. Looks similar to the first throw Kimura lands on Gracie in their match, but with the heel actually behind uke's kneecap:

Last edited:
LONG LIVE EINARR

tenor.gif

BadColorfulLhasaapso-size_restricted.gif

My tokui waza , I am going to watch this thread, thank you.

I dig it.

It reminds me of passages in Kimura's autobiography.

He discusses O Soto Gari repeatedly.

He discusses opponents defending, but he insisting.

He discusses the transition to O Soto o toshi where the foot plants and straightening of the leg lifts uki's leg and furthermore the transition from that back to O Soto Gari.

There is a magic between the moment to moment differences of the attack with hooking near the knee to bend it, planting and straightening your leg with a forward drive to overcome a stiff heavy leg, and full upward airborne reaping motion of your attacking leg.

The armpit grip is interesting. I enjoy the nogi version of tricep control off a clinch or if deep enough underhook gripping your hand coming over the opposite shoulder (head and arm control from clinch).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back