Movies Out of the Oscar lead actor winners from 1970s to 2020s - Which 3 are the best performances? (The Finals)

Who's your picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formerly known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
My picks:

Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs
Robert De Niro - Raging Bull
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs

Robert De Niro - Raging Bull

Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Marlon Brando - The Godfather

Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump

Haven't voted until now, but only voting for Jack Nicholson and Daniel Day-Lewis with no third vote. Because I'd take a dozen performances over the remaining choices, probably. I don't know how the forum arrived at such a weak Finals. Although it's understandable. The best performances aren't necessarily the most memorable, the most iconic, or the easiest to love. Manchester by the Sea isn't a movie that's easy to watch, and Casey Affleck's character isn't one that we want to love, but his performance was extraordinary. It isn't life affirming. It's just tragic. Those are hard to swallow. But I'd take him over pretty much everyone else here.

F. Murray Abraham as Salieri in Amadeus would probably get my vote for the greatest performance of any Best Picture winner from this period. Although Jack and DDL are right there.

Haven't voted until now, but only voting for Jack Nicholson and Daniel Day-Lewis with no third vote. Because I'd take a dozen performances over the remaining choices, probably. I don't know how the forum arrived at such a weak Finals. Although it's understandable. The best performances aren't necessarily the most memorable, the most iconic, or the easiest to love. Manchester by the Sea isn't a movie that's easy to watch, and Casey Affleck's character isn't one that we want to love, but his performance was extraordinary. It isn't life affirming. It's just tragic. Those are hard to swallow. But I'd take him over pretty much everyone else here.

F. Murray Abraham as Salieri in Amadeus would probably get my vote for the greatest performance of any Best Picture winner from this period. Although Jack and DDL are right there.

Who would be your 8 in the finals? For that time period.

Who would be your 8 in the finals? For that time period.
Bunch of performances stand out. I've already named F. Murray Abraham and Casey Affleck.

For one, Tom Hank's performance in Philadelphia was more subtle than the Simple Jack he had to play in Forrest Gump (though I've always assumed he won the Oscar for the scene where he learns about his son, and I must confess that's some of the best acting I've ever seen). Similarly, I'd take Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer over Rain Man. Why do we prefer the latter? Because the latter movie is better, and more life affirming. There's a reason Downey Jr.'s monologue in Tropic Thunder was so amazing. It was rooted in truth.

Similarly, while Hannibal Lecter is more memorable, Anthony Hopkins had a more challenging and nuanced role in The Remains of the Day. But he didn't win for that because of Philadelphia. Denzel isn't here, but I'm sure Training Day would go further in these polls than Flight or Fences, but his performances were greater in the latter films. Joaquin Phoenix's best performance was in The Master, not that it won the Oscar, but that movie was obscure, grim, and confusing as hell, so in any poll, I am highly confident either The Joker or Gladiator would get more votes.

Tons of other memorable performances. Jean Dujardin doesn't have a mainstream international success, but he was spectacular in The Artist. Colin Firth in The King's Speech. Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote. Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland won't get any votes because that movie was downright mediocre, but he was extraordinary. Sean Penn in Milk or Mystic River is better than almost anything in the poll, here. Roberto Begnini in Life is Beautiful. George C. Scott in Patton.

They're all great performances, don't get me wrong. It's a very populist list, and populist takes tends to hold up to the test of time better than the more arthouse performances I'm favoring. The best tell is when we see someone else take on the same role, as in a sequel, and then we learn what we did or didn't take for granted, but that's a rare advantage. There's a definite favortism among the populist vote for the boisterous larger-than-life characters that the audience is designed to love, even if it's a villain, like Hannibal Lecter, compared to much more human roles that capture what life is more often really about for most of us.

Bunch of performances stand out. I've already named F. Murray Abraham and Casey Affleck.

For one, Tom Hank's performance in Philadelphia was more subtle than the Simple Jack he had to play in Forrest Gump (though I've always assumed he won the Oscar for the scene where he learns about his son, and I must confess that's some of the best acting I've ever seen). Similarly, I'd take Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer over Rain Man. Why do we prefer the latter? Because the latter movie is better, and more life affirming. There's a reason Downey Jr.'s monologue in Tropic Thunder was so amazing. It was rooted in truth.

Similarly, while Hannibal Lecter is more memorable, Anthony Hopkins had a more challenging and nuanced role in The Remains of the Day. But he didn't win for that because of Philadelphia. Denzel isn't here, but I'm sure Training Day would go further in these polls than Flight or Fences, but his performances were greater in the latter films. Joaquin Phoenix's best performance was in The Master, not that it won the Oscar, but that movie was obscure, grim, and confusing as hell, so in any poll, I am highly confident either The Joker or Gladiator would get more votes.

Tons of other memorable performances. Jean Dujardin doesn't have a mainstream international success, but he was spectacular in The Artist. Colin Firth in The King's Speech. Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote. Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland won't get any votes because that movie was downright mediocre, but he was extraordinary. Sean Penn in Milk or Mystic River is better than almost anything in the poll, here. Roberto Begnini in Life is Beautiful. George C. Scott in Patton.

They're all great performances, don't get me wrong. It's a very populist list, and populist takes tends to hold up to the test of time better than the more arthouse performances I'm favoring. The best tell is when we see someone else take on the same role, as in a sequel, and then we learn what we did or didn't take for granted, but that's a rare advantage. There's a definite favortism among the populist vote for the boisterous larger-than-life characters that the audience is designed to love, even if it's a villain, like Hannibal Lecter, compared to much more human roles that capture what life is more often really about for most of us.

Thanks you, I appreciate your well thought out post.

Thanks you, I appreciate your well thought out post.
Sure. As a matter of trivia, the three most prestigious film awards ceremonies (not film festivals) are the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, and BAFTAs; the four most prestigious critic associations are the New York Film Critics Circle, National Society of Film Critics, National Board of Review, and Los Angeles Film Critics Association; more recently, the Critic Choice Association formed, began giving awards in 1994, and has become the largest association in North America. Finally, the Screen Actor's Guild began giving awards in 1995.

If you're counting, that's 9 different potential Best Actor awards. Since 1995, no actor has won all 9.

Won 8
2005: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote (no NYFCC)
2006: Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland (no LAFC)
2007: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood (no NBR)

Won 7
1995: Nicholas Cage, Leaving Las Vegas (no BAFTA or CCA)
1996: Geoffrey Rush, Shine (no NBR or NSFC)
2010: Colin Firth, The King's Speech (no NBR or NSFC)
2012: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln (no NBR or LAFC)
2016: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea (no LAFC or SAG)

Won 6
2004: Jamie Foxx, Ray
2008: Sean Penn, Milk
2021: Will Smith, King Richard [more just proving what a dogshit year COVID was and how weak the category was that year]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammywells
Back