Social Out of these, which 3 likely will be totally obsolete in the near future?

What's your picks?

• Total voters
Parking meters as in spaces outlined with a single meter per space. Now entire blocks are coded to a machine which you pay.

I would argue most of this list is already obsolete, and only continues to exist due to the reluctance of older people to learn/adapt newer technologies.

The still relevant (and I don't really understand why they are on this list at all as they don't have equivalent alternatives):

Key Fobs, Credit Cards, Eye Glasses, Chargers, Hard Drives, Remote Controls.

I would argue most of this list is already obsolete, and only continues to exist due to the reluctance of older people to learn/adapt newer technologies.

The still relevant (and I don't really understand why they are on this list at all as they don't have equivalent alternatives):

Key Fobs, Credit Cards, Eye Glasses, Chargers, Hard Drives, Remote Controls.

Did you read the article?

In some circles, checks are making a comeback.

It turns out that it’s a super simple fee free way of sending money FAST. With the use of technology, someone can send me a check, i can do a deposit, and have the funds within five minutes. Beats doing business via PayPal and having to deal with fees.

In some circles, checks are making a comeback.

It turns out that it’s a super simple fee free way of sending money FAST. With the use of technology, someone can send me a check, i can do a deposit, and have the funds within five minutes. Beats doing business via PayPal and having to deal with fees.

You have a good point.

DVDs - Standard def physical media.

Checks - Besides paying bills by mail is there anything you can still do with a check?

Passwords - no password logins are already gaining traction, many sites have mandatory 2 factor because they know passwords aren't secure, quantum computing will likely mean the end of password security anyway.

Last edited:
DVDs - Standard def physical media.

Checks - Besides paying bills by mail is there anything you can still do with a check?

Passwords - no password logins are already gaining traction, many sites have mandatory 2 factor because they know passwords aren't secure, quantum computing will likely mean the end of password security anyway).
checks via sms can be deposited and funds approved in minutes.... with my side gig, I get about 20K in checks a month

I'm hoping that the sky-rocketing cost and proliferation of streaming service fees for every "network", that simple one stop cable TV makes a comeback. Everything has commercials now anyway, you need a dozen passwords, and every other advantage they bragged about for streaming over cable just doesn't exist anymore.

checks via sms can be deposited and funds approved in minutes.... with my side gig, I get about 20K in checks a month

If that works for your business that's great. I knew a sales guy who still had a fax 2 or 3 years ago because he had customers who ordered that way. If it makes dollars it makes sense.

I don't know how long the banks will keep going with paper checks once the boomers are dead. I'm in my 40's and I don't think any of my peers use checks for much of anything. I can't imagine it's going to get more popular with younger generations.

What about TP? The three sea shells are going to be the norm real soon. Ever since the TP shortages during covid i switched to the 3SS's and never looked back.

If that works for your business that's great. I knew a sales guy who still had a fax 2 or 3 years ago because he had customers who ordered that way. If it makes dollars it makes sense.

I don't know how long the banks will keep going with paper checks once the boomers are dead. I'm in my 40's and I don't think any of my peers use checks for much of anything. I can't imagine it's going to get more popular with younger generations.
it will be for a long long time. I see large business still issuing checks all the time for payroll. With paypal and the tax issue, I think more people will slowly adopt checks to fill that void. But aside from that, business checks are not going away even if it seems as if consumers have stopped issuing checks.

I am still amazed remote controls have made it this long

I am still amazed remote controls have made it this long
apple tv remotes are awesome, you can lose them, then use the "find my" function to find them again...... You can do away with them completely by using the integrated phone remote, but it's nicer to have physical buttons, even if minimal.

Voted DVDs and checks.

Only reason for DVDs seem to be collectors and those who are passionate about right of ownership.

Only reason for checks seems to be when dealing with old shares, and even they there is a letter asking for a bank account number for easier payment.

Did vote cable TV, but a lot of people I know still like to have streaming services on them, and are happy to pay those paedo protecting fucks cash to keep doing it.

it will be for a long long time. I see large business still issuing checks all the time for payroll. With paypal and the tax issue, I think more people will slowly adopt checks to fill that void. But aside from that, business checks are not going away even if it seems as if consumers have stopped issuing checks.

LPs have become the biggest selling physical media for music so anything is possible in terms of a comeback. There's certainly some appeal to physical and analog alternatives to digital goods and services.

I have a vendor or two still getting paid by check, but everything is pretty much ACH for domestic, wire for international at this point. Our entire payroll is direct deposit. IDK if a check is even an option in my current role.

For interpersonal use everyone I know uses zelle because there are no fees and it works directly with your bank.

Are you based in the US?

LPs have become the biggest selling physical media for music so anything is possible in terms of a comeback.

I have a vendor or two still getting paid by check, but everything is pretty much ACH for domestic, wire for international at this point. Our entire payroll is direct deposit. IDK if a check is even an option in my current role.

For interpersonal use everyone I know uses zelle because there are no fees and it works directly with your bank.

Are you based in the US?
yes, we get more payments from zelle than checks, but boomers have a hard time sending money via internet methods, but if we tell them to sign us a check and send via SMS, they can do that without much issue. Repeat customers wont bother signing up for an internet based method once they get it down. It's some work on the business side to do a digital deposit, but it sure beats paying fees.

Sadly DVDS

I hate seeing the slow death of physical media and I think that's a bad thing.

DVD as a format is obsolete, but I wouldn't say the same for Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays. We're actually in a bit of a renaissance period for physical media (for film at least). There are several boutique distributors putting out fantastic editions of both new and old films. I stream occasionally, but physical media is superior in every way in regards to quality, and my collection is growing faster than ever right now.

But mail??

Back