Overeem doesn't see Alex Pereira as a champion

Do you see Pereira as a real champ or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
at this point pereira could knock out jones, aspinall and then KO the bigfoot (the creature, not the fighter) at the sphere and these jelly idiots will still say they don't "view him as a champ"
All favorable match-ups. Bigfoot is a hairy bum. 0-0 in the UFC.

Not really the same. Overroid was lucky that night and fought against a much smaller Spong in the first fight. Second fight against Saki who had a broken right hand. Final was against an old Peter Aerts who just had a 4 round fight against Semmy Schildt. As for Alex he just destroyed everyone in 2 weight classes for a couple of years.

Yeah, but shit like that happened all the time in tournaments sir.

You homos and weirdos are now in love with Pereira and his "strong silent" persona, but let's face it, Overeem knows more about fighting than you. He's not a fanwhore like you but a real fighter. He understands what really happens in the cage. I think he's absolutely right about Pereira.

LOL! Overeem got KO'd by brawlers like Travis Browne, Bigfoot and Rothwell. He was chinny and reacted very poorly if he got stunned. If Alex were the same way, he'd have been finished by at least some guys like Jiri and Hill who have heavy hands. Instead, Alex's only MMA loss was to another elite striker and former kickboxer who's the 2nd best MW in UFC history (behind Anderson).
lool lets say pereiras striking is 10
overeems striking is 9

you weirdos truly believe pereira is a better fighter than overeem?

i bet you believe pereiras bjj black belt is the same as overeems blackbelt right?
i bet you also believe pereira is a better wrestler too right?

look at overeems competition than pereira
look at the pattern of fighters that pereira fought
your weird opinions would change when alex starts to lose and lose

i bet you even believe pereira beats jon jones too right?
bwahaha im no surprised if ive seen more weirder thoughts
only here on sherdog

You think Alex has solid counter grappling? Every fighter who has attempted a takedown against Alex has gotten him down, and Alex has yet to fight a strong grappler. He’s pretty bad on the ground.

He shook off Jiri like he had nothing for him. Jan was able to lay in his guard, but couldn't land any big shots, and got absolutely nowhere with submissions.

These are his peers in the division, these are world class 205lbs fighters. They can't out grapple Alex to beat him.

Yes, Alex now has "pretty solid" counter grappling.

He has done the best with what has been presented to him but I don't think we can deny he has had favourable matchups and fast tracked opportunities and so I get where Overeem is coming from.

If/when he loses a fight against a good grappler, the air of invincibility and fear of his power will go and opponents will be Randy-Tony ankle picking him from a mile away

He shook off Jiri like he had nothing for him. Jan was able to lay in his guard, but couldn't land any big shots, and got absolutely nowhere with submissions.

These are his peers in the division, these are world class 205lbs fighters. They can't out grapple Alex to beat him.

Yes, Alex now has "pretty solid" counter grappling.
Jan had 7:30 seconds of control time in a 15 minute fight and Jiri had 2:45 of control time for a 9 minute fight. Adesanya had 6 minutes of control in a fight he wasn’t spamming takedowns at all. These are all strikers who in no way have elite takedowms. alex's counter grappling isnt pretty solid at all. it's barely satisfactory.

Article is from quite a while ago, and a bit of a weird article, with the author's opinion interspersed with fairly short quotes from the Reem. Is there a video or transcript of the full interview? Obviously Pereira is a champion in the literal sense, would be interesting what the Reem meant by that.

Pereira is an extremely match up dependent champion. He beats elite fighers like Strickland, Jiri and Izzy, but he would lose to lower ranked fighters like Vettori, Hernandez, Caio IMO.

Also, he got a favorable decision against Jan. 40 year old Jan beats him decisively at normal elevation.

So you have to be well rounded to be champion? Alistair being a bit goofy here.

I do think Alex is going to have problems on the ground but that's like saying Overeem is going to have a problem against guys with power because of his chin. Everyone has a weakness.

Can't with this guy LOL, he's good at saying shit everyone knows is untrue in an unrealistic way. I'm not a Alex ball sucker like some people on this board but he's def a champ.

lool lets say pereiras striking is 10
overeems striking is 9

you weirdos truly believe pereira is a better fighter than overeem?

i bet you believe pereiras bjj black belt is the same as overeems blackbelt right?
i bet you also believe pereira is a better wrestler too right?

look at overeems competition than pereira
look at the pattern of fighters that pereira fought
your weird opinions would change when alex starts to lose and lose

i bet you even believe pereira beats jon jones too right?
bwahaha im no surprised if ive seen more weirder thoughts
only here on sherdog
I do belive Pereira is a better fighter than USADA Overeem.
And since you're talking about level of competition, try to rmbr Overeem having his chin caved in by Bigfoot.

I do belive Pereira is a better fighter than USADA Overeem.
And since you're talking about level of competition, try to rmbr Overeem having his chin caved in by Bigfoot.
To be fair TRT Bigfoot was a legit elite fighter, losing TRT and having the brain op he declined massively in a short space of time.

That said I think Ubereem in MMA did have clear weaknesses people tend to try and ignore claiming it was just a lack of horse which caused his decline. You look at the first Werdum fight and whilst I think he deserved the decision he does take a lot of punishment standing.

Reem's boxing defence was just never that good in terms of head movement/timing, in K-1 the big gloves could help counter that but in MMA just slowly stalking people he was vunerable. I think the switch to "econo" mode wasnt just about a lack of "help" but simply that in MMA he was better off being more agile, using distance control much more to his advantage ala Jones.

To be fair TRT Bigfoot was a legit elite fighter, losing TRT and having the brain op he declined massively in a short space of time.

That said I think Ubereem in MMA did have clear weaknesses people tend to try and ignore claiming it was just a lack of horse which caused his decline. You look at the first Werdum fight and whilst I think he deserved the decision he does take a lot of punishment standing.

Reem's boxing defence was just never that good in terms of head movement/timing, in K-1 the big gloves could help counter that but in MMA just slowly stalking people he was vunerable. I think the switch to "econo" mode wasnt just about a lack of "help" but simply that in MMA he was better off being more agile, using distance control much more to his advantage ala Jones.
Remember, though Overeem also got KO'd by Browne and Rothwell around the same time Bigfoot beat him. All 3 were powerful/dangerous, but none were great technical fighters and all were a bit slow/lumbering.

While it was late in Overeem's career, this fight exemplified what happened so many times to him, even in early LHW fights against guys like Shogun and Liddell where Alistair came out looking strong for a minute or two before getting finished.

I mean, Alastair did fight the bigger legends. However, Perriera just did more being 2 division champ.
I guess it comes down to the prestige of old K-1 compared to a promotion like Glory.

Alastair does have some big names on his resume like Aerts, Hari, Saki, and Spong but Alex has the bigger accomplishments.

I would argue when Reem won the Grand Prix he got a little bit lucky with how the tournament played out.
If Saki didn't break his arm vs Ghita and actually made the fight harder on Reem and Aerts didn't do the fucking impossible again and won vs Schilts, Reem might have not won the Grand Prix.

Hurts me to even write this, I was an huge Reem fan back as a little dipshit but Alex is the better Kickboxer and Alex is not really known for being technically sound.
Alex is a great high high level striker but yeah he’s not as technical as some of his contemporaries, though that didn’t matter a lot of the time.

Alex had a more consistent one, and overall deeper one I'd say. His weight class was pretty solid when he was competing, while Reem won the literally last relevant K-1 big boy Grand Prix, which frankly was starting to show its age.

Reem had a big upset win Badr (then lost to him), a good win vs Aerts, and a very credible performance against Bojansky.
His actual GP 2010 win involved a comically smaller Spong, basically a bye vs Saki who had a broken arm, and then old man Aerts who fought a hard won decision vs Schilt in his previous match.
Maybe it’s the romanticisation of K-1 but yeah Reem was very inconsistent.

Remember, though Overeem also got KO'd by Browne and Rothwell around the same time Bigfoot beat him. All 3 were powerful/dangerous, but none were great technical fighters and all were a bit slow/lumbering.

While it was late in Overeem's career, this fight exemplified what happened so many times to him, even in early LHW fights against guys like Shogun and Liddell where Alistair came out looking strong for a minute or two before getting finished.

He was still pretty "Uber" for the Bigfoot and Browne fights and I think the latter of those really showed you how he missed the K-1 gloves, that kick would likely either have been blocked or at least had much of the zip taken off of it by them.

Even in Ecnonoreem mode he was still vulnerable, especially I think against guys who pressured him more like Rothwell and Stipe were as more passive fighters allowed him to move between long range and the clinch as he liked.

Boxing wise I think by the late 00's he did have strong ability to pick out some good one off punchs, it was more defensively were he had a weaknesses IMHO, if he exchanged close in he always looked hittable.

Reactions: mkt
Jan had 7:30 seconds of control time in a 15 minute fight and Jiri had 2:45 of control time for a 9 minute fight. Adesanya had 6 minutes of control in a fight he wasn’t spamming takedowns at all. These are all strikers who in no way have elite takedowms. alex's counter grappling isnt pretty solid at all. it's barely satisfactory.

Do you realize the irony of Alex literally winning every single one of those fights?

They could not out grapple him to victory, by points, damage or submission. That is the concept of good counter grappling.

Veganreem needs to rest, his brains been rattled too many times and body is destroyed by PEDS
1714578563867.png
1714579097815.png

Attachments

• 1714579088581.png
    1714579088581.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 0
Back