Oz (HBO) Spinoff short film ZO

I came here to talk just about this in specific, amazing stuff! All dialogue and it had my heart racing without any action.

Does it consist of Gay Men having Gay Sex like the original? Not gonna click before I know

As an absolutely hardcore fan of Oz, I’m not really sure what to make of that. On the one hand they had several factual throwbacks to the show (Cyril’s execution, the murder of Dr. Nathan’s husband, Beecher’s wife, son and father all dying during the course of the show thanks to the Aryans) and yet parts struck me as being out of character, for example for O’Reilly to have an attitude of “fuck her” about his Mom? Where the show left off his mom was basically all O’Reilly had left in his life, as he told his father he would kill him given the chance.

And of course the big wtf is whatever’s going on between O’Reilly and Beecher in the first place. They were never enemies and were honestly almost friends at several points throughout the show. So for O’Reilly to take an attitude of “I’m going to kill yoi after I kill your family”?? That’s super out of left field and not really something I can compute.

Also, the prospect of O’Reilly getting out of prison is absurd. His original sentence in season 1 was life, up for parole in12 years for leading the police on some crazy chase that left two people dead. But after that in season 3 or 4 he confessed to ordering the murder of Dr. Nathan’s husband and got sentenced to another life sentence up for parole in 40 years. So he shouldn’t be out even if some investigating cop got all his old cases thrown out.

The prospect of Beecher’s mom who would probably be in her 80s or 90s by now having sway with the then current governor decades after her big shot husband dying is also a little implausible.

Anyway, neat to see Dean Winters and Lee Tergesen reprising those classic roles.

It was filmed for atx in 2021. For fan meet ups. Likely was done fast the time frame is weird because his daughter holly is only 20 when she should be 31 but they also have iPhone 12s.

As an absolutely hardcore fan of Oz, I’m not really sure what to make of that. On the one hand they had several factual throwbacks to the show (Cyril’s execution, the murder of Dr. Nathan’s husband, Beecher’s wife, son and father all dying during the course of the show thanks to the Aryans) and yet parts struck me as being out of character, for example for O’Reilly to have an attitude of “fuck her” about his Mom? Where the show left off his mom was basically all O’Reilly had left in his life, as he told his father he would kill him given the chance.

And of course the big wtf is whatever’s going on between O’Reilly and Beecher in the first place. They were never enemies and were honestly almost friends at several points throughout the show. So for O’Reilly to take an attitude of “I’m going to kill yoi after I kill your family”?? That’s super out of left field and not really something I can compute.

Also, the prospect of O’Reilly getting out of prison is absurd. His original sentence in season 1 was life, up for parole in12 years for leading the police on some crazy chase that left two people dead. But after that in season 3 or 4 he confessed to ordering the murder of Dr. Nathan’s husband and got sentenced to another life sentence up for parole in 40 years. So he shouldn’t be out even if some investigating cop got all his old cases thrown out.

The prospect of Beecher’s mom who would probably be in her 80s or 90s by now having sway with the then current governor decades after her big shot husband dying is also a little implausible.

Anyway, neat to see Dean Winters and Lee Tergesen reprising those classic roles.

QFT. Love the show - I actually just rewatched it for the millionth time a couple of months ago, and it's still incredible - but I didn't need this video. The only extra Oz that I need is the Oz/Seinfeld crossover.

I'd also have to say that the gold standard for retconning/continuing an OG show is Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always, which shocked the hell out of me with how good it was and which brought back old characters and conjured up that great nostalgia much more effectively.

QFT. Love the show - I actually just rewatched it for the millionth time a couple of months ago, and it's still incredible - but I didn't need this video. The only extra Oz that I need is the Oz/Seinfeld crossover.

I'd also have to say that the gold standard for retconning/continuing an OG show is Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always, which shocked the hell out of me with how good it was and which brought back old characters and conjured up that great nostalgia much more effectively.

I was about to post this I randomly found it just 10 minutes ago. and I was like "now this was way better than Zo"

I didn't like Zo at all but I want him to make more stuff. this was made for ATX which is like "comic con for tv"
They probably just rushed something together. some unknown beecher and o'rielly drama. almost everyone is dead from the oz finale and as years passed I'm surprised beecher and O'rielly are still alive.

I didn't like Zo at all but I want him to make more stuff. this was made for ATX which is like "comic con for tv"
They probably just rushed something together. some unknown beecher and o'rielly drama. almost everyone is dead from the oz finale and as years passed I'm surprised beecher and O'rielly are still alive.

Honestly, the only inmates from the main cast that you’d expect to be still alive 20 years later would be O’Reilly, Beecher and maybe Alvarez. Reebadow and Busmalis could both likely be dead of old age by now. Redding would also probably have died of old age. Robson might have died of his AIDS by now. Arif may be alive still, and maybe even out; I don’t think the show ever said what Arif was in for but I don’t think he was a lifer like many other inmates that were in for murder. Keller, Said, Schillinger, Cyril O’Reilly, Hoyt, Morales and a few others all died in season 6. Hill died at the end of season 5.

For prison staff McManus might still be around, along with Father Mukada. Warden Glenn is dead. Sister Pete may have died of old age by now, or at least retired (the actress is still alive and 92 years old now). Officer Murphy would maybe be retired by now. Who knows, maybe he’d be warden now as Querns would likely be retired or dead of old age.

Honestly, the only inmates from the main cast that you’d expect to be still alive 20 years later would be O’Reilly, Beecher and maybe Alvarez. Reebadow and Busmalis could both likely be dead of old age by now. Redding would also probably have died of old age. Robson might have died of his AIDS by now. Arif may be alive still, and maybe even out; I don’t think the show ever said what Arif was in for but I don’t think he was a lifer like many other inmates that were in for murder. Keller, Said, Schillinger, Cyril O’Reilly, Hoyt, Morales and a few others all died in season 6. Hill died at the end of season 5.

For prison staff McManus might still be around, along with Father Mukada. Warden Glenn is dead. Sister Pete may have died of old age by now, or at least retired (the actress is still alive and 92 years old now). Officer Murphy would maybe be retired by now. Who knows, maybe he’d be warden now as Querns would likely be retired or dead of old age.

I'd assume Busmalis would be out by now I dont think he had a long sentence even with breaking out of prison. I want to know what happened with dr nathan!

I could dissect it to the point to where I don't enjoy it, but I absolutely loved it. The dialogue and the energy was exactly what I wanted to see. It left me wanting more. I want to know what the beef is between them now.

Didnt Ernie Hudson play the warden in that show for a while?

Back