pantoja is why divisions should play fast and loose with title shots

125lbs isn't a good example, most fucked up division and I question anybody that chooses to fight there. Not only is it the least respected by fans but the UFC literally tried to cut it... The division was created by having a tournament consisting of guys that were currently in the UFC Bantamweight division. So it was the bantamweight reject division to start, then it started to get better with guys like Kyoji, Cejudo, Sergio etc.. coming in... Then DJ lost a controversial split decision and they decide to trade him and prepare to axe the division. They let Horiguchi, Sergio and many other top flyweights go. Now the division is just leftovers, it's sad because it really could be one of the better divisions if they tried to build it up rather than trying to destroy it.

I love the idea of not being overly picky.

Whichever top contender is ready and willing should get the next title shot. If that contender happens to be ranked #6 then whatever. No need to delay.

Sure this type of mentality works for you at the bar but we're talking professional sports now!

Sure this type of mentality works for you at the bar but we're talking professional sports now!
Works in professional sports too. If the #1 Olympic athlete pulls out, then someone takes their place, you don't delay the whole Olympics.

Works in professional sports too. If the #1 Olympic athlete pulls out, then someone takes their place, you don't delay the whole Olympics.

Just woke up and that was me trying to make a joke about you banging anyone at the bar

The main event with Junior dos Santos is a bloody mess. I watched it 2 other times and it's legit with no gloves. 😁
Man.. it was a real treat.

I stayed off the dog until now, did not want spoilers.

But I also drank during watching it. And have promised myself not to post drunk ... so will give a better response tomorrow.

Thanks man

<RomeroSalute>

{<redford}

Not everybody has to win 10 in a row though, some get title shots after 2 or 3 wins.

Some established stars are always "a win away from a title shot".

Like most things, it's a popularity contest. That's the real issue, if there was a consistent path to a title opportunity, whether that be 3, or 5, or 10 wins in a row it wouldn't be an issue.

The problem is popularity (not merit) based pushes, and endless, needlessly rematches nobody wants to see. Hence why we see such logjams at the top of divisions.

If you haven't seen it, they just put the Gamebread bare knuckle MMA event from yesterday on YouTube. Those events are good. Such a bloody mess and almost all finishes.
Sober now...

Thx again The whole thing was a pleasure. A bit of a throwback feel. Raw and brutal, certainly you never felt like any of them were in a 'sparing match'.

It's funny we are talking about it in this thread, after I said I'm advocating chaotic match making, because it seemed like that was the case with the Bareknuckle MMA card, and it really worked.

I won't bang on too much about it. I will say that never in my life would I have thought I could have 'liked' Schaub and Black as commentating team, but they did great. Less annoying than some of the UFC guys can be at times.

Congrats to Mas on a great event. My only request to the production team would be show the ring girls more. They looked a lil thicker then the UFC ones and I wanted to see more

{<tongue}

At least Albazi got the nod over KKF, controversial as it was. It's gotta be him or Mokaev.

Kape didn't even have a good showing against Felipe Dos Santos on short notice. Cool the jets with him.

so kape doesn't deserve it but mokaev does?
albazi.. i would be okay with

so kape doesn't deserve it but mokaev does?
albazi.. i would be okay with
I don't think Mokaev deserves a shot either, but at least he didn't get a fight cancelled by missing weight.

Why would you reward a weight misser with a title shot? Even putting aside the fact that he already lost to Pantoja.

IDK.. But FLW should not have had fucking Brandon Moreno over and over again fighting for the title.. fucking guy. Thanks god for Royval knocking him down the rankings.

BTW.. Pantoja should fight either Mokhaev or Erceg or whatever is called that australian dude at UFC 301. Just feed Pantoja for fucks sake.

Not everybody has to win 10 in a row though, some get title shots after 2 or 3 wins.

Some established stars are always "a win away from a title shot".

Like most things, it's a popularity contest. That's the real issue, if there was a consistent path to a title opportunity, whether that be 3, or 5, or 10 wins in a row it wouldn't be an issue.

The problem is popularity (not merit) based pushes, and endless, needlessly rematches nobody wants to see. Hence why we see such logjams at the top of divisions.

yeah, the ufc has this ridiculous thing were some guys get title shots all the time, while others have to go on crazy winning streaks
i think we could find a happy medium. the best fight the best, and ur always "close" to a ts

I don't think Mokaev deserves a shot either, but at least he didn't get a fight cancelled by missing weight.

Why would you reward a weight misser with a title shot? Even putting aside the fact that he already lost to Pantoja.

how many times has he missed weight? i dont really know
if it's a one time thing, we can "ingnore" it
pantoja x kape is a fun and very competitive fight
sure it's a rematch, so was pantoja x royval

how many times has he missed weight? i dont really know
if it's a one time thing, we can "ingnore" it
pantoja x kape is a fun and very competitive fight
sure it's a rematch, so was pantoja x royval
Twice, first against Ode Osbourne and now against Nicolau in the rematch.

Another problem for Kape is that he also doesn't have any meaningful win in the UFC so far. He beat Ode, Zhalgas, Dvorak and Felipe Dos Santos. Dude just isn't deserving of a shot right now, at least Royval derailed Nicolau before he got his shot.

Back