Pat Miletich stat as WW champ

Yes, UFC had a very good case to be the biggest org at least until 2002-03 when Pride had grown to the point it was unquestionably the premier org.
The year 2000 really is when things shifted to Pride having a notable advantage. It was early 2000 when the GP started, and if you look at events in 2000, and the fighters they had, that was the year when Pride unquestionably moved past them. There were obviously fighters of the same quality in the UFC at the time, but the depth of talent and the massive shows were beyond what the UFC had.

Last edited:
- MMA was a niche sport back then, so you could "laugh" at any org at the time

- Pride also went out of business when it was indeed the biggest in the sport (unlike in 1998)

So you make very weak points.

Yes, UFC had a very good case to be the biggest org at least until 2002-03 when Pride had grown to the point it was unquestionably the premier org.
I think the sport was probably still known as NHB or just "cage fighting" in 1998 as well. I'm not sure when MMA became the most popular name...obviously it sounds more civilized and was largely a marketing move.

I don't think there was any 1 "major" organization at that time. There were multiple relevant orgs, and guys moved around a lot. There was UFC, PrideFC, Pancrase, and Rings to name few.
No one in North America was watching Pride, Rings or Pancrase in 1998 outside of a few hardcores. UFC had events in US, Japan and Brazil. It's safe to say UFC was definitely the top mma org until the early 2000's when Pride took over.

Actual WW Lineage: Pat Miletich > Jutaro Nakao > Tetsuji Kato > Hayato Sakurai > Anderson Silva > Daiju Takase > Rodrigo Gracie > BJ Penn > Lyoto Machida > Shogun > Jon Jones

Jon Jones is the lineal WW champ lol.

Scores the fact Jones built a lot of his career on older, washed-up, smaller men.

You placed that narrative onto it, it's not stated just because they used quotation marks. Plus it's incorrect anyway.

You know, that's a very common way for people to use quotation marks; to suggest that what is between the quotation marks is not what you would read it as at face value. I put that narrative forth, because I think it makes a lot of sense and it's how I interpreted it. I also have a whole lot of experience with how people talk about the UFC in general, on here. But you can think what you want, bud. I was just trying to help with a different perspective.

What is incorrect about it?

Actual WW Lineage: Pat Miletich > Jutaro Nakao > Tetsuji Kato > Hayato Sakurai > Anderson Silva > Daiju Takase > Rodrigo Gracie > BJ Penn > Lyoto Machida > Shogun > Jon Jones

Jon Jones is the lineal WW champ lol.
Reported

Back