Path to victory for Stipe against Jon?

Istryker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Dirty boxing mixed with defensive wrestling ? Using his natural heavyweight frame to force Jon into uncomfortable situations? Make it a firefight? I mean since he fought DC and Ngannou 2x each ..

Look, Jon is the least powerful puncher out of all them easily. Stipe survived 7 rounds with Ngannou and like how ever many with heavyweight DC . Beating him twice.

JBJ subbing Gane the way he did was amazing but we still don't know how he'll react to strikes from a heavyweight how much his cardio is affected and how much his speed is affected especially since he got hurt.

There's a way for stipe. I sense it and it's intriguing to think about.

DeLorean_Replica_Kovacs_Time_Machine.png

A prime Stipe could probably pose some challenges for Jones
But at his current age, inactivity and being brutally knocked out in his last fight, I don't see any realistic ways Stipe can beat Jones
And that's not a knock on Stipe who is one of the most accomplished UFC HWs ever

Use the long rest he's had to recover and slowly better himself over the years (as much as a 40 year old can at this point)

Hope Jones at HW is still untested (he is) and use his experience and Jones lack of fight time at HW to his advantage

Jones is also coming off a serious injury

Lots of dirty boxing, clinch fighting

Its gonna be a tough fight for sure, two washed up GOATS

Expect this to go like your usual HW fight, both guys are washed and will go out there and fight for a legacy then retire

Knock him the fuck out.

War Stipe.

This cheating lowlife needs a major dose of cosmic justice. Losing his last fight by KO to an all but retired fighter, that he handpicked would feel really fucking good.

Would be poetic justice like with Conor vs. Nate Diaz. RDA was out and they tried to handpick the easiest opponent and he got rekt anyway.

Don't get reckless. Don't give takedowns. Stay focused.

Jones has a good chin and usually uses it to push the pace in later rounds if it looks rough for him.

Hard to be sure, what with four years of not seeing how Stipe moves and reacts, and knowing how much can fail within that span — especially those specific rounding-the-curve-of-40 years. But there may be ways.

• Some pundits say that Jones is superlative all the way out (his kicking game) and all the way in (his clinch game with elbows), but really doesn't have a good way to get from one to the other. His boxing has always been suss. Maybe somewhere there lies Stipe's path. Keep a good boxing distance, and counteract how much he may have slowed down by setting traps for Jon to getting him moving the way needed to expose himself for a punch that's harder than he's ever been hit before.

• Clinch and foot stomp. I'm serious. It's a stupid pointless activity in every other fight, but Jon has almost had a toe fall off. And judging by how he's said he wouldn't ever fight without them letting that digit be taped up, it's always on his mind. Maybe a few good heels to the bad foot would rattle Jon enough to make him do something stupid...

• Capitalize on what may be Jon's overconfidence. Stipe is the king of being underestimated. And I have a theory that because Stipe hasn't shown a BJJ game in the cage, Jones thinks he can do him like he did Gane. But I've seen multiple testimonies declare that Stipe is almost impossible to submit, that defensively he's a force. So if Jones gets him down and goes for a submission, Stipe might be able get out, get on top and fuck up Jones' world with ground and pound.

Back