Media Paulo Costa wants to fight "red neck" Sean Strickland

I can see Sean pulling off a big upset here. Costa is one foot out the door and out of form. Strickland has the type of style to capitalise and jab the sh*t out if Costa for 5 rounds.

I am not surprised, Costa could win that fight. I think Sean Strickland will just pitter patter Costa to a dec.

He's an extremely winnable fight for Costa, even if he's gassing I'm pretty sure he can take and hold Sean down, no?
Where does this myth that Costa is supposedly a great grappler/wrestler come from?

He’s got good TDD and that’s about it.

Where does this myth that Costa is supposedly a great grappler/wrestler come from?

He’s got good TDD and that’s about it.
I don’t know if anyone thinks that he is a GREAT grappler, but I think he for sure has decent ground game and well enough defence. He handled Luke pretty well.

He started his martial arts career with BJJ as a kid, was a jiujitsu guy in TUF Brazil and there is proof that he has competed in BJJ (No-GI and GI) at least until purple belt level. So it is also not like he is shit on ground either like many of you seem to think.

absolutely, strickland isn't an easy out for anybody in middle weight, I think he's a future champion honestly
If something like the recent situation with 205 goes down where all the guys ahead of him get hurt and screw up their title fight and Strickland fights Darren Till, sure, I could see it

I believe that he took that fight on real short notice and losing to brunson isn't really a terrible thing. I mean Brunson is a solid fighter man, it's not like he's losing to no names .
I can see you're point , but he was already top 5 and will be a fight or two away from being top 5 again.

<WhatIsThis>
Did you get Cannonier and Brunson mixed up? Or did your post show up in the wrong thread? Cannonier vs Strickland was not short notice it was set up for October, canceled due to injury and rescheduled for December.

I believe that he took that fight on real short notice and losing to brunson isn't really a terrible thing. I mean Brunson is a solid fighter man, it's not like he's losing to no names .
I can see you're point , but he was already top 5 and will be a fight or two away from being top 5 again.
I don't think Strickland has fought Brunson yet, or am I that out of the loop? I think you actually meant to say Cannonier? Maybe they booked Strickland Vs Brunson already and I just didn't know about it. I'd actually take Strickland in that one, Brunson would get jabbed to death while winging punches and failing TDs. So I guess Strickland could feasibly be a top 5 middleweight I suppose. He doesn't beat Adesanya, Whittaker, and possibly Vettori and Costa too, and can only beat Periera if he used his grappling. He's basically a gatekeeper, like Brunson.

People really seem to forget that Costa vs Rockhold was at high altitude and so many fighters gassed on that card.

I would have shit canned this clown after the Vettori weight debacle.

And he looked anything but high level against Rockhold that had been out 3 years. Maybe he gets a little credit due to the elevation at SLC. But, Rockhold got flatlined in his 2 most recent fights.

And there’s the part where he ducked Whittaker. Too much talking and complaining on SM. If he had beaten Whittaker for the last fight on his current contract he would have had some decent leverage.

And a TS in his next fight.

Strickland is a California city boy from Anaheim. Not exactly Redneck Country

Costa is using redneck as a euphemism for white

I used to like Costa but this dude has become so whiny and irrelevant since losing to Izzy

Whenever Costa retires can we just put him on commentary? I need more of this.

I'd pick Strickland to win comfortably, his angles, feints and jab seem to be the perfect recipe to make Costa hesitant to punch.

I'm shocked Costa isn't hunting for Brunson as it's his easiest fight and highest ranked reasonable fight. Costa has shown he can defend wrestlers and he's shown he can make it his type of fight. I'd pick Brunson to win too but a brawl with Brunson is a higher chance for a highlight KO win.

I believe Brunson is retiring after his next fight.

Just fight anybody at this point Paulo.
Your biggest announcement of the last year was literally a joke.
<Neil01>

I believe Brunson is retiring after his next fight.
I thought he claimed to want another run for gold?
Honestly people overlook the guy but he's pretty elite, he's just random as hell when he implodes.

Back