Pearl Jam |Ten| vs. Nirvana |Nevermind| - Which is the better album?

Which is the better album?

• Total voters
Because this is my favorite genre and I'm going to go absolutely snob about this.

If had to pick between the two I would say Ten is better.

But not necessarily because I consider Ten the better grunge album. Songs like Even Flow, porch and Why Go could be considered grunge but a lot of the album like Jeremy, Alive and Black aren't what I'd consider grunge. They're more anthemic rock songs. If you would ask me what Pearl Jams best "grunge" album is, I'd say Vs.

Compare Vs vs Nevermind and I'd say Nevermind. Ask me if Nevermind is a better grunge album than Ten... I'd say Nevermind.

So going back to my original point, overall musically, and I'm biased since PJ is my favorite band...Ten is the better album.

I also kind of hate the grunge label in general because of this. Someone earlier mentioned Dirt. I love Dirt and AIC in general. But you could make the case that it's better than Ten or Nevermind because it's more metal than grunge.

Eh, I’m not even sure that I buy “grunge” as a genre. It’s more a reference point to a time and place, if that makes sense. Like, if we decided to form a band and make a grunge album, what does that even mean? Like @TeTe alluded to, these bands don’t even sound that similar. Soundgarden and Alice In Chains have roots that are much more metal, Pearl Jam is rooted in 70s blues rock, Nirvana in garage rock and punk… other than the fact they came from the Seattle area at the same time, they’re pretty different bands.
I think the label Grunge was similar to the label Punk, at least in the early days. Late 70's punk had bands like the Sex Pistols and the Ramones, but also included bands like Television, the Talking Heads and Blondie. Even the Pretenders were considered punk early on. They didn't sound alike but they were coming from the same place. It was a push back against rock n roll which had become excessive and bloated. I think grunge was similar in that it was a push back against pop rock and hair metal. Its not that the bands shared a sound so much as an outlook. Back to the basics of just making music without the pretensions.

I think the label Grunge was similar to the label Punk, at least in the early days. Late 70's punk had bands like the Sex Pistols and the Ramones, but also included bands like Television, the Talking Heads and Blondie. Even the Pretenders were considered punk early on. They didn't sound alike but they were coming from the same place. It was a push back against rock n roll which had become excessive and bloated. I think grunge was similar in that it was a push back against pop rock and hair metal. Its not that the bands shared a sound so much as an outlook. Back to the basics of just making music without the pretensions.
Fair point Jack, fair point.

As a Mother Love Bone fan, TEN was a crushing disappointment, it was always going to be. They sound like a band cobbled together to recoup a label dept .. to me.
Nevermind by a country mile.

I watched a video recently about the maki gvof nevermind. It2as from a few years ago I only saw a clip have to ho look for the original

Back