People too disabled for their job

I am all for accomodating people with disabilities, but a person with a heavy stutter in a call center? Screw that.
We had 2 software engineers with prosthetic limbs at my previous job, but having a plastic arm does not prevent someone from writing code.

Use a chat prompt if possible...though some things get lost in translation there as well.
Yea chat is always my go to. Eventually though it leads to us doing a remote session with a call as well and that’s where the issues start.

Reminds me of when I was a teenager and doing gardening experience with a charity.

Three sections, gardening, admin and cakes.

They put an old woman who had recovered from throat cancer as an admin, and had her answering the phone.

Nice lady but fuck me, it was a nightmare trying to converse with her. Her voice was gravelly and kept cutting out.

I had to call customer service at my brokerage and after being on hold forever, I finally got through to a guy with a very prominent stutter.

I had a hard time understanding anything he was saying. I had to ask him to repeat himself so many times that it became awkward.

I thought about hanging up and calling back, but I didn't want to wait on hold for another half hour.

I'm all for people overcoming challenges and being given a chance to work, but at the same time, should he really be working in a call center?

I mean, sometimes your disability just eliminates you from certain jobs.

A blind guy can't become a bus driver. A woman with no hands can't be a courtroom stenographer.

Am I the asshole?

I mean, of course I am, but for this specific reason?

Ask to talk to his supervisor. Done.

Back