People with more fat would do better in a flood apocalypse scenario.

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
It is well known that muscle doesnt float. Fat floats. So if there was some kind of large scale flood and waterworld came true, it would make sense that fat people would be more likely to survive or be rescued. Not only that but the extra fat would help them during times stranded at sea with no food or water.

And did you know the worlds fattest people live on islands? Makes sense when you think about it. Body adapted to be prepared just in case.

Thoughts

It is well known that muscle doesnt float. Fat floats. So if there was some kind of large scale flood and waterworld came true, it would make sense that fat people would be more likely to survive or be rescued. Not only that but the extra fat would help them during times stranded at sea with no food or water.

And did you know the worlds fattest people live on islands? Makes sense when you think about it. Body adapted to be prepared just in case.

Thoughts
This is just science. We should just send all fat people in the middle of the ocean.

Thoughts
My thoughts are that waterworld lacked a gang of sumo wrestlers that mutated into half sea lion

Thoughts

Joking aside I've read that Islanders getting that big is linked to how they got there in the first place : long travel by sea in canoe like boats, where you couldn't bring a lot of food. So they had to resort to fish on the way and the attrition was high, hence the survivors being those that stored fat better. Then they fucked between them and did even fatter babies.

Joking aside I've read that Islanders getting that big is linked to how they got there in the first place : long travel by sea in canoe like boats, where you couldn't bring a lot of food. So they had to resort to fish on the way and the attrition was high, hence the survivors being those that stored fat better. Then they fucked between them and did even fatter babies.
I got it wrong lol
Its the thrifty gene hypothesis

Last edited:

Oh shit that makes a lot of sense.

Sherdog's max 1.6% body fat rule was ill-advised after all.

523136bf-b683-4c6d-816d-243ff68d64c9_text.gif

Realistically during the last two major tsunami's being fat most definitely didn't help. ( recently watched docos on the 2004 and 2011 ) Being young and relatively fast with cardio had by far the biggest influence on survival. ( barring obvious factors like location etc. ) Being able to sprint up hills / stairs get to high ground etc. Also those who moved towards safety instantly apon hearing tsunami warnings.

Maybe if you got lucky and survived the initial stages of such a disaster Being fat would become a aid not a hindrance. Unlikely the trade off is worth it tho imo

it's not really factors like how good one swims or floats that really makes a impact on survival. Generally if you're in the water it's nothing but luck whether you survive or not , there's nothing a person can really do to impact where they end up or what hits them or where the water takes them.

Now if it was a exceptionally cold climate that was hit by a tsunami. ( say Iceland Greenland's etc ) Being fat would provide far more benefits to survival . But that would be more due to the benefits v cold than necessarily water.

I would stay afloat far longer and easier than most fat people simply due to being Australian and having spent half a lifetime in water. I will easily outlast fat Europeans. In relatively [warm] water . Now put me in cold water with fat Europeans. I'll probably die of hypothermia before them. Not because they float better heh.

Back