Periera vs Jiri 2 interesting takeaway

And his defense is just as bad, he is what he is. Imo he isn't an appealing matchup for Pereira without drastically changing his fighting style.
He's very aggressive but I do think he's quite a bit better than Tony(who depended much more on his grappling) standing personally, Tony just tended to try and slug it out standing more often.

When we were watching 300 my friend said Jiri is the LHW Tony Ferguson. Lol.
Again 'm not sure I really see that, Jiri is very aggressive and doesnt check lowkicks but he does try and slip punches and land well times ones of his own. Fergerson a lot of the time fought more like Leben, just wanting to plant his feet and throw left/right bombs at his opponent.

A lot of Fergersons sucess as well was based on his grappling, JIri is a decent sub grappler but I don't think nearly on the level of Fergerson were it was his main offensive tool.

If Ankalaev refuses to fight in the USA he will lose his title shot to Jiri...

And his defense is just as bad, he is what he is. Imo he isn't an appealing matchup for Pereira without drastically changing his fighting style.
Yup, he just leaves too many openings for a sniper like Poatan.
As unorthodox as he is he moves his head in a predictable pattern.

Yup, he just leaves too many openings for a sniper like Poatan.
As unorthodox as he is he moves his head in a predictable pattern.
I wouldnt ay he's massively predictable but just that Alex is by far the best counter puncher at LHW at the moment, maybe the best in MMA as a whole.

Really though i think Jiri knew this in the first fight which is why he kept his distance in the first round only to find that doing so would expose him to having to his legs cut from under him.

Besides perhaps trying to grapple more effectively I would argue better tactics maybe just to take the risk early on vs Alex, rush him down and hope to land something big first before his legs are beaten up.

Really?
Jiri did eat a bunch of calf kicks but other than those, he was dominating Poatan both standing and on the mat.

I don’t want these two to fight again because I don’t want to see either one of them lose. Jiri and Poatan are the most exiting things in LHW in the last decade.

I wouldnt ay he's massively predictable but just that Alex is by far the best counter puncher at LHW at the moment, maybe the best in MMA as a whole.

Really though i think Jiri knew this in the first fight which is why he kept his distance in the first round only to find that doing so would expose him to having to his legs cut from under him.

Besides perhaps trying to grapple more effectively I would argue better tactics maybe just to take the risk early on vs Alex, rush him down and hope to land something big first before his legs are beaten up.

Alex lulls you to sleep with those calf kicks and straight body punches.
Then all of a sudden he blasts you.

Its like he kicks the calf to force you into rushing him, only to get murdered on the way in.

You're right about him being a really good counter attacker, but I think his setups make even more effective.

If Jiri fought how he fought Rakic, he will be in a wheelchair for a few years after getting coma'd.

Jiri did an interview after the rakic fight saying the same thing, which suggests to me that he'll approach the fight differently the next time it happens.

Late night out scouting the arena alone Jiri is a different beast :)

The truth of the matter is, Jiri can go into the rematch without changing shit and still get the W. Just make sure to assign a different ref.

Back