Personalities of Non-English Speaking Fighters (Bilingual Bros GTFIH)

I found that very interesting about masvidal. How someone speaks a second language so fluently (even though he was educated in english) compared to Tony who has such poor Spanish. Miami obviously has a huge Spanish speaking culture though.
Tony was not raised in a Spanish speaking household. His father was of Mexican ancestry and was absent and he was raised by his mother and step father - whose surname he took. Masvidal's parents are from Cuba and so he was raised in a Spanish speaking household.

This makes me sad,but the guy has been fighting for 35 (!) years...
To be fair he has almost always sounded a bit ... Slow and mumbly. Real easy going guy, cracking jokes all the time. But yes all the blunt head trauma definitely hasn't helped Aerts.

He seems very confident/charismatic and laid back; pretty easy to understand by french canadian standard

He has a much cleaner accent than GSP that's for sure, GSP speaks English like us French speaks English, pretty funny but French/English accent sucks. Patrick Coté doesnt really have that.

Can i hear more about Nog,Jacare and Amanda? What losses did Nog not take well. I believe it but im curious. Remember when Fedor had beaten Nogueira,but Nogueira had battled back and beat Cro cop,and so they made the 4 biggest names Fedor,Nog,CroCop and Ogawa (lol) were all in the ring during the opening ceremony,and I never seen Nogueira so serious. He wanted to fucking get revenge on Fedor so bad. Then when the heads clashed in the finals and ended in a NC. Fedor went to amusement parks in japan and Nog had said in an interview somewhere that he was fuckin pissed at Fedor enjoying himself hahahah. Thats how bad he wanted to win!
Big Nog is known for giving excuses for his losses, he's very proud. If you search Sherdog maybe you'll still find old threads about his fights against Mir, Cain, Werdum. I still think he's the greatest brazilian mma fighter, nevertheless. Amanda was more a joke by me, she just sounds very excited and to be living a great time. Deservingly, of course.

Tony was not raised in a Spanish speaking household. His father was of Mexican ancestry and was absent and he was raised by his mother and step father - whose surname he took. Masvidal's parents are from Cuba and so he was raised in a Spanish speaking household.
Yeh I think to be truly bilingual you have to learn a second language in the household when you are young rather than learning later on in life (like I did with Chinese)

Yeh I think to be truly bilingual you have to learn a second language in the household when you are young rather than learning later on in life (like I did with Chinese)
I don't think you have to learn it as a child, although it certainly helps. I think the key is to be really immersed in the language. I know many people who are fluent in English after learning it as adults. My in-laws all came here as refugees 25 years ago.

Back