Media Petr Yan has announced that his next training camp will be at a different gym

If there was ever a time for a change it's now - his old team got him to the title, but they haven't been able to re-capture the magic that made him so menacing and confident, he's just far less confident in his approach and ability to control a fight.

Maybe it's just one of those "spiraling bad-luck" situations where it ruins your mindset - DQ out of the title with only himself to truly blame, loses a debatable split to the same guy whose game plan is incredibly difficult to deal with (lots of moving away and holding from grappling positions), gets robbed against O'Malley to give him the springboard to the title, and then for the first time in pretty much his entire career just gets run through by Merab using endless chain-grappling to gas him before he could get in a rhythm.

He doesn't seem physically any worse for the wear, just kind of hesitant and less confident in his approach. He's never been dropped (stunned/hurt but always recovered quick), he's never been subbed, incredibly well-rounded fighter with a mean-streak and ability to blend and chain positions and techniques.

It's gotta be a "head"-thing, so I'm hoping this can rejuvenate him. Watching his UFC run to the title and the Aljo fight (despite the DQ still a beautiful fight from him, building and vicious with so many dope counter-grappling trips/sweeps/throws and creative ways to hurt someone), and the Sandhagen fight were all a joy in technical violence.

Last edited:
I still remember when people were claiming Henry retired to duck Yan.

<36>

He has quite a few options that are better than TMT.

Bring in the master.

8xhWhJDoHxTOw.gif

Petr Yan changes camps - stop the presses this is like Lebron going to the Lakers significant.

I still have faith. Is Munhoz booked? I feel that’s a good fight for him that’s winnable in the top ten. He just needs his confidence back.

I guess those tiger muay thai supplements are only allowed in ONE championship.

I guess those tiger muay thai supplements are only allowed in ONE championship.
USADA and nothing is the same, so I don't think that is the problem. They only seem to work getting random nobodies to make a case.

Imo yan got to high on himself. Hes got the skills, but im starting to doubt his mindset.

Yan is really good, he just has had some pretty bad luck/gameplans lately.

-With a little more aggression he probably could've taken 3/5 of the non backpack rounds in Alijo rematch. DQ was stupid ass move in a fight he was dominating.

-Lost to O'Malley striking, but was pretty damn close. Again if he would've paid more attention to how close it was and turned up aggression instead of sitting back on the outside with O'Malley, again probably would've won most rounds.

-Loss against Merab was an absolute beating, no excuses, Merab is the better fighter but he probably beats everyone else too and maybe Alijo if they turned on each other.

Not overrated, but probably not motivated lately either. He finished Aldo and looked much different when he had the title. Some guys only had a goal to win a championship and when they do they mentally check out, think that may be Yan's issue.

Last edited:
If there was ever a time for a change it's now - his old team got him to the title, but they haven't been able to re-capture the magic that made him so menacing and confident, he's just far less confident in his approach and ability to control a fight.

Maybe it's just one of those "spiraling bad-luck" situations where it ruins your mindset - DQ out of the title with only himself to truly blame, loses a debatable split to the same guy whose game plan is incredibly difficult to deal with (lots of moving away and holding from grappling positions), gets robbed against O'Malley to give him the springboard to the title, and then for the first time in pretty much his entire career just gets run through by Merab using endless chain-grappling to gas him before he could get in a rhythm.

He doesn't seem physically any worse for the wear, just kind of hesitant and less confident in his approach. He's never been dropped (stunned/hurt but always recovered quick), he's never been subbed, incredibly well-rounded fighter with a mean-streak and ability to blend and chain positions and techniques.

It's gotta be a "head"-thing, so I'm hoping this can rejuvenate him. Watching his UFC run to the title and the Aljo fight (despite the DQ still a beautiful fight from him, building and vicious with so many dope counter-grappling trips/sweeps/throws and creative ways to hurt someone), and the Sandhagen fight were all a joy in technical violence.
I don't even think its a head thing. The fights with O'Malley and Sterling were close and could've went either way. Merab I think was just better.

What it shows to me is just how stacked BW is that a guy as good as Yan can go 0-3 like that. You just didn't see this in divisions like LHW where a guy like Glover might suffer a setback in his late 30s but once he fights down the rankings easily puts together a streak because there's only like half a dozen elite fighters in the division.

Back