Poatan career defining moment.

jeff7b9

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
UFC 281
November 12th, 2022

Exactly one year ago today.

After round 4, champion Israel Adesanya leads 39-37 on all scorecards.
111222-adesanya-pereira-scorecard.jpg

Alex Pereira needed to FINISH the fight. Even a 10-8 would not have secured him the win or the title, that would have resulted in a draw and the champ retains the title with a draw.

Alex did what fans all over the world have yelled at their TVs for decades and before that what boxing fans yelled at their radios:

"Go for it!! You gotta knock this guy out!"

And as well all well know, Alex did this:

GettyImages-1441091893-1024x680.jpg

israel-adesanya-alex-pereira-UFC-281-1-MMA-Frontkick.online.jpg

alex-pereira-adesanya-punch.png

0_UFC-281-Adesanya-v-Pereira.jpg

Without that moment, he would not have become MW champ and he would have been removed from the fast track which enabled him to claim his second UFC title almost exactly a year to the date in the same arena. Once again landing his left hook for a title winning KO.

869824_640x360_large_20231112163916.jpg

What a crazy sport.

How many times have YOU yelled out in the final round for a fighter to GO FOR IT?

To risk maybe getting caught and losing via stoppage instead of decision to at least ATTEMPT to turn the tide of the fight and capitalize on the beauty of a combat sport bout never being over or out of reach regardles of the scorecards because one punch, kick or submission can effectively erase those scorecards and rewrite the outcome.

Hats off to Jiri. He handled defeat in as classy a manner as you could ever ask of a fighter.

Hats off to Izzy after losing 3x to Alex to come back and win the rematch.

fdc4e-16818287515656-1920.jpg
0_GettyImages-1480905418.jpg

And of course respect to Poatan for his epic run to become 2 division champ in less fights than anyone ever before.

1200x0.jpg

Last edited:
Agree! Unfortunately the majority of MMA fans are mentally disabled and everyone is either trash or the GOAT and that status changes from one fight to the next.

Double champ in Glory (simultaneous)
Champ, in about, a year after joining the ufc
Double champ, roughly, twoyears after joining the ufc.
Has beaten 4 champs in that run
Has clearly improved his ground game enough to survive against far more experienced and well rounded mma fighters.

He should do 2 more fights(maybe 3) - the hill fight and a rematch with izzy at 205 (not lower) and then call it a day (and possibly a rematch with Jiri) then call it a day. He'll be like 37 or so by the time that is over and accomplished so much.

Definitely one of the combat sports GOATS.

He'a got a lot to be proud of in his career. His MMA career imo is more impressive because he had to overcome so much adversity.

Adesanya after losing to Pereira:
0_ufc-281-adesanya-v-pereira-jpg.1011335

Pereira after losing to Adesanya:
i

...after which Pereira fled to LHW. I think he's fairly obvious who came out ahead in their two UFC fights.

Adesanya has made Perreira a super star and rich. He came in the UFC living of Izzy’s name, got fast tracked because Dana saw money and the rest is history.

Also, congrats to Tom Aspinall, coming off the couch, injured, to beat a monster like Segei Pavlovich on a 6 fight round one KO streak.

To be fair, if you exclude the freak injury 15 seconds into the Blaydes fight, Aspinall had 10 straight finishes, 9 of which were in the first round and 8 of which were knockouts. He wasn't exactly some lamb being led to the slaughter.

Also, congrats to Tom Aspinall, coming off the couch, injured, to beat a monster like Segei Pavlovich on a 6 fight round one KO streak.

I hope everyone enjoyed last night's event as much as I did.
A master at one thing vs being a jack of all trades, if the master learns TDD or holding off the rest of the round on his back, he wins, cause once he stands up each round on he dominates more and more.

Last edited:
Adesanya after losing to Pereira:
0_ufc-281-adesanya-v-pereira-jpg.1011335

Pereira after losing to Adesanya:
i

...after which Pereira fled to LHW. I think he's fairly obvious who came out ahead in their two UFC fights.
images

ufc-sport.gif

Poatan lost but he now is a LHW World champion, Adesanya lost to Sean.

Reactions: Kb7
images

ufc-sport.gif

Poatan lost but he now is a LHW World champion, Adesanya lost to Sean.

I know MMA math doesn't work, but what does it say about Pereira if the version of Adesanya he lost to is the one who also had such a miserable performance against Strickland?

Adesanya has made Perreira a super star and rich. He came in the UFC living of Izzy’s name, got fast tracked because Dana saw money and the rest is history.
His history with Izzy put him in these positions, but damn has he delivered.

Back