Poatan is well on his way to surpassing JBJ at LHW.

Jesus Christ, yeah if he dominates the division for a decade I'm in, but seriously, knocking out Jamahal Hill and all of a sudden he's well on his way to surpassing JBJ? realistically speaking, even if Poatan IS the best ever at LHW, he will likely not have the time to prove it before father time catches up with him. It's also bad (or maybe good?) timing as LHW division is mediocre at best - knocking out your opponents is a great statement, but at the same time, you're knocking out Jiri and Hill, I wouldn't say that they are particularly great when compared to LHW 5+ years ago.

No he isn't. This is recency bias at its max. He's not even close at all to Jones

Jan was older than anyone Jones fought. And "old" Shogun and Rampage were younger than Izzy.

Shogun had surgery on both knees, and had that nasty broken arm.. that makes him much older than Izzy in fight years.

Context....it matters ya goof.

Ankalaev will make him look like an amateur on the ground and we will forget Alex

Realistically, even if Alex defends his LHW strap more than 10 times, it still wouldn't match Jones legacy at LHW. The LHW division today just isn't like what it was before.

That's fine to say now, but people were saying for YEARS how weak LHW was while Jones was defending the title. There's a bit of truth to that, too, given that he had to defend against two MWs moving up (Sonnen and Belfort) because there weren't clear #1 contenders at the time.

I'm honestly more excited for LHW right now than I was when Jones was fighting, but that may just be because a division without a dominant champion looks a whole lot more competitive.

Back