Poatan's BJJ level

He's out here taking people down with one hand and no grips!

But for real 1 minute into the video I have to say I have mad respect to him for training in the regular classes, not just the closed door pro sessions.
Agreed. He puts himself out there and doesn't have any ego, which is cool to see.

As far as his level is concerned, hard to tell from a few rolls. His butterfly sweep wasn't very smooth (didn't control the arm so the other guy could post and not get swept) and he got bumped off while passing because his cross face wasn't very well applied, but that could be for several reasons (giving an opportunity for the smaller/lighter person to work, not wanting to put too much weight on the smaller/lighter person, etc.). In the end, if Glover gave him his black belt, he's a black belt, and a big congrats to Poatan for that.

it's purple belt level at worst from what I'm seeing.

there are different standards to belt levels based on gyms and even within gyms (some trainers will give an easier path to hobbyists than to competitors).

John Danaher has guys at blue belt trying to make world BJJ champion runs and then there are black belts who look like fish on the ground in MMA.

also what the expectations are of attaining a black belt differ from place to place.

in some traditions, you need to be well-versed in the Gi (most UFC fighters don't even bother training in the Gi).

in some traditions, you need to successfully apply BJJ outside of sports grappling context (in real fighting/MMA).

in some traditions, you just do no Gi training (10th planet stuff).

in some traditions, you just show up to training for at least 5-7 years and you're getting your black belt.

what I will say is that your average UFC fighter will beat most guys in his equivalent belt level in most gyms they visit purely by athleticism.

a purple belt in BJJ like me who works in IT and does BJJ as a hobby will get destroyed by any purple in the UFC. It wouldn't even be competitive.

Does he really have his black belt?
I would say solid blue belt level with slight ability to scramble. I know it’s harder for bigger guys like him to be technical as well, but he wasn’t really doing much as far as guard passing and retention

I was just skimming through tho.

it's purple belt level at worst from what I'm seeing.

there are different standards to belt levels based on gyms and even within gyms (some trainers will give an easier path to hobbyists than to competitors).

John Danaher has guys at blue belt trying to make world BJJ champion runs and then there are black belts who look like fish on the ground in MMA.

also what the expectations are of attaining a black belt differ from place to place.

in some traditions, you need to be well-versed in the Gi (most UFC fighters don't even bother training in the Gi).

in some traditions, you need to successfully apply BJJ outside of sports grappling context (in real fighting/MMA).

in some traditions, you just do no Gi training (10th planet stuff).

in some traditions, you just show up to training for at least 5-7 years and you're getting your black belt.

what I will say is that your average UFC fighter will beat most guys in his equivalent belt level in most gyms they visit purely by athleticism.

a purple belt in BJJ like me who works in IT and does BJJ as a hobby will get destroyed by any purple in the UFC. It wouldn't even be competitive.

Not really sure what a “UFC purple belt” really means. There are sandbagger purple belts going for medals in tournaments but a UFC purple belt can mean a range of things.

Considering that BJJ has the reputation as being the least dependent on physical attributes.

I’ve rolled with some UFC fighters who were purple belt level in the past.

The only way I can see that a hobbyist purple wouldn’t be able to hang with a UFC fighter is if they aren’t in regular training and therefore gas out. For most purple belts training 4 days a week they should be able to go one sport BJJ round with a UFC fighter with weak BJJ.

Not really sure what a “UFC purple belt” really means. There are sandbagger purple belts going for medals in tournaments but a UFC purple belt can mean a range of things.

Considering that BJJ has the reputation as being the least dependent on physical attributes.

I’ve rolled with some UFC fighters who were purple belt level in the past.

The only way I can see that a hobbyist purple wouldn’t be able to hang with a UFC fighter is if they aren’t in regular training and therefore gas out. For most purple belts training 4 days a week they should be able to go one sport BJJ round with a UFC fighter with weak BJJ.
I doubt that very much. UFC fighters are top tier in terms of strength and athleticism and pretty much all know how to grapple. If you say a "UFC purple" it means a UFC fighter who follows some kind of BJJ curriculum so were are not talking about the few UFC fighters that can only strike and are getting favourable matchups.
A UFC purple will ruin a hobbyist purple. Too worlds. I am surprised some people don't know this.

I doubt that very much. UFC fighters are top tier in terms of strength and athleticism and pretty much all know how to grapple. If you say a "UFC purple" it means a UFC fighter who follows some kind of BJJ curriculum so were are not talking about the few UFC fighters that can only strike and are getting favourable matchups.
A UFC purple will ruin a hobbyist purple. Too worlds. I am surprised some people don't know this.

Volkanovski talks about his vertical jump personal record here;

44 centimetres which is about 17 inches. Random guys who volunteer for strength and conditioning training studies and call themselves untrained or recreationally active jump higher.

If UFC fighters are all automatically high level general athletes then why wasn't Volkanovski's vertical jump higher when he was ranked no. 1 pound for pound fighter in the world?

This guy straight off the couch took part in gimmick youtube video. He immediately is jumping 27 inches in a standing vertical;

I think you are hugely over estimating the importance of general athleticism as opposed to BJJ specific strength and attributes. Plus purple belt is a serious belt level. There are some coaches out there giving out soft belts but most will need to see a large degree of effort.

Soon to be UFC champion Ben Henderson gets tapped by hobbyist purple in local tournament;

At the time UFC champion Robert Whittaker gets tapped by hobbyist brown belt who looks 10-15kg lighter;

I imagine you could find a fair few examples of guys in the UFC getting tapped by guys sport BJJ guys with full time jobs if you really looked into it. Not to mention the best BJJ for MMA guys always lose to elite sport BJJ guys in sport BJJ.

I doubt that very much. UFC fighters are top tier in terms of strength and athleticism and pretty much all know how to grapple.

Not really. I trained with a top 10 UFC heavyweight and have guy in our gym who don't train full time who are on a completely different level in terms of athleticism. The ability to successfully punch someone hard in the face beats any level of athleticisim.

Last edited:
Sean Roberts was a terror at purple belt.

Not all ufc fighters are incredible athletes but Poatan is, and surely is rolling at purple belt with even modest bjj knowledge and athleticism. Black belt, no, of course not.

Sean Roberts was and is hardly a hobbist bjj player.

This could get into a semantic argument as to what exactly is a hobbyist.

What he probably was, was an 18 year old BJJ purple belt living with his parent/parents whilst having no financial responsibilities and doing 10-20 BJJ classes a week.

I don't know his background in detail but I'd be very surprised to hear he was earning a professional grappler income at that point, to fund a nutritionist, S & C coach, sport psychologist etc.

This could get into a semantic argument as to what exactly is a hobbyist.
There is a huge difference between the guys who have a job but are training BJJ seriously and studing it etc, and the large group of people who are just going to class and don't really try to get better and are lazy and skipping out rounds so never get in decent shape. (Often because of the lazy hobbyst attitude where they are super injury ridden and more then some of the pros)

There is a huge difference between the guys who have a job but are training BJJ seriously and studing it etc, and the large group of people who are just going to class and don't really try to get better and are lazy and skipping out rounds so never get in decent shape. (Often because of the lazy hobbyst attitude where they are super injury ridden and more then some of the pros)

Ok but why would someone in the latter group get promoted to brown belt level for instance.

Overwhelming the criteria for belt promotion in my experience is: Can you routinely tap out someone your own size and belt level. However you get there, whether you use the coaches favourite techniques or some shit you saw on youtube is secondary.

I've seen a few questionable promotions or guys getting promoted for tenure but they are generally the exception rather than the standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back