News Poirier trains 6 rounds of wrestling with a new guy every round. Is Khabib DONE?

I think Poirier has a good chance against khabib.

Dustin has way better hands than khabib. I wouldn't be surprised to see khabib knocked out. Either that, or khabib mauls him just like everyone else.

Means nothing if they're not as good as Khabib. Or if they're beating him in sparring.

The pace of that fight was faster than any other 5 round fight I've ever seen. Holloway went 100% and never slowed down. Most fighters would have collapsed. Total strike count from both fighters was off the charts from what I remember.

It was a ridiculous strike count for sure but Dustin was nearly finished in the 3rd as a result. He showed tremendous heart and grit surviving Max’s output but I think what guy was trying to say is it’s a different exhaustion having Khabib on top of you which I do I agree with. However, if Khabib takes the 2nd round off like he sometimes does he could find himself in some serious trouble. Dustin is, IMO, Khabibs stiffest challenge to date. He’s not getting nearly the credit he deserves.

It was a ridiculous strike count for sure but Dustin was nearly finished in the 3rd as a result. He showed tremendous heart and grit surviving Max’s output but I think what guy was trying to say is it’s a different exhaustion having Khabib on top of you which I do I agree with. However, if Khabib takes the 2nd round off like he sometimes does he could find himself in some serious trouble. Dustin is, IMO, Khabibs stiffest challenge to date. He’s not getting nearly the credit he deserves.
Yes, agreed. Hoping my bet on Dustin will pay off.

Poirer gonna shock the world. Time to put some money on him. Hopefully the lines are favorable.

Bovada garbage <{nope}>

"These guys rotating in on me, it might be their first round, but it’s my fourth. I’m doing six rounds of grappling or something; they have a guy on the sidelines waiting to jump in at Round 4."

What an animal!

"Khabib can have the other 364 days a year. I just need 25 minutes on Sept. 7. He can have everything else. I just need to be better for 25 minutes, and I’m 100 percent sure I can do that."

Oh my.

"I take lessons from each session. If I make a mistake when I get tired, then I try not to make that same mistake again when I’m in that position."

High IQ mentality

Source:
Poirier, D. (2019, August 08). UFC 242, Dustin's Diaries: Why training camp is tough, family time, understanding Khabib. Retrieved August 8, 2019, from https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...iaries-khabib-nurmagomedov-wrestling-training
Dustin just getting started on what Khabib was doing at 15 years old.
check out one of Chael Sonnens videos, he witnessed on of the "rotating opponents" sessions with Khabib

When Khabib gets someone to the ground it's usually just over. It's clear that someone has a much better chance of winning when they defend the takedowns rather than try to do battle on the ground with him.

I know that sounds profoundly stupid, and I suppose it is, but this is what I mean:

If Dustin is working hard, HARD on takedown defense, I believe he has a good chance of winning. That is to say, if Khabib cannot get Dustin to the ground at least once, he will lose.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by other people in this thread-- you can't get the wrestling you need in a single training camp. You can't get it in five. But as early as the second/third rounds, Khabib was having difficulty getting McGregor down. If Poirier stuffs a takedown, he's right in Khabib's face, hitting him. Nobody is going to be able to take that for very long.

I know there's a ton of fuel in the Khabib train right now and it's not unwarranted. But just remember, it doesn't matter how good we are. There's always someone with our number. And they usually come around sooner than we thought they would or should. If the odds are crazy I will be putting money on Dustin.

Are you high? You think the difference in wrestling between Poirier and Khabib was just a month or two of training and making some minor adjustments? There's levels to this shit.

You think Dustin only started wrestling a few months ago?

He should be doing a Romero. In the Countdown videos or whatever for the Whittaker fights, he'd have like 3 guys just continually come at him and he'd just dump them over and over. It looked funny. A very Romero thing, really.

Khabib went 90 minutes wrestling fools at his Gym, and then when everyone was tired, asked to bring in some more....

Dustin will come in with incredible preparation and in incredible shape. He's also tough as fuck with a lot of heart.

He will also lose by a very wide margin.

I like Dustin, but hopefully Khabib wins.
Khabib vs Tony would be one the most intriguing fights ever.
Right along with Jones vs DC and Andy vs Vitor

Good to see Dustin putting the heavy work in. I am sure he is training the right methods to prepare for Khabibs wrestling attack. For those who think that Dustin is training to grapple with Khabib and he wont be able to make up a lifetime of grappling, that's not what he's trying to do here. He's working on a few key things and mainly positions to keep the fight in his favor. It's like training vs a top level BJJ guy, you don't train every element of BJJ to grapple. You train heavy on TDD and escapes when they try and transition. A few key things and you can shut down the whole game. Dustin is likely going heavy on TDD, clinch work, hand control escapes against he cage, and escapes off his back.

I think Dustin has a good shot here, and if he wins I don't think it's even that big of an upset. Khabib is really good at one element of the fight and so far he's been able to use that well vs fighters that are more or less one dimensional. Not only is Dustin a much better striker than Khabib, he brings a whole different skill set with his grappling game as well. Much more well rounded than Conor, Barbosa, Iaquinta. That alone makes this fight much more competitive. There are other factors that make him a tougher fight as well. Dustin has better cardio/endurance and also what is very important is he carries his power and finishing ability late into a fight. He TKO'd Gaethje in round 4 for example. He's a better offensive fighter when endurance becomes a factor than the others.

Wrestling has always been the superior martial art, at least inside the cage. Look at who is at the top of every division. Cejudo (x2!), Khabib, Usman, Jones, Cormier. Guys like Whitaker and Holloway have unbelievable TDD. Also, Yoel inexplicably has turned into a pure striker. Only person who could beat Khabib will be an olympic level wrestler with superior striking.

"These guys rotating in on me, it might be their first round, but it’s my fourth. I’m doing six rounds of grappling or something; they have a guy on the sidelines waiting to jump in at Round 4."

What an animal!

"Khabib can have the other 364 days a year. I just need 25 minutes on Sept. 7. He can have everything else. I just need to be better for 25 minutes, and I’m 100 percent sure I can do that."

Oh my.

"I take lessons from each session. If I make a mistake when I get tired, then I try not to make that same mistake again when I’m in that position."

High IQ mentality

Source:
Poirier, D. (2019, August 08). UFC 242, Dustin's Diaries: Why training camp is tough, family time, understanding Khabib. Retrieved August 8, 2019, from https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...iaries-khabib-nurmagomedov-wrestling-training
Seems you misread him.
He has one guy that wrestles with him for 4 rounds, THEN he switches (fighters).
And besides, that's not news.
I recall when I trained, the pros that fought on regional circuits would fight one round with virtually everyone in our gym (he could only defend).
Every gym does that. Khabib probably trains the same way. And from what I understand he wrestles with DC, Luke or Cain.

Not saying he will surely win, but what Poirier said does not make him the favorite!

Back