Post your top 10 boxers from the last 25 years 1995-2020 era

The thing with Donaire is that I feel like his greatest moment was giving Inoue problems. He looked shot before that but he proved in that fight that he still had something.

The way he offed Darchynian and Montiel - two fighters inferior to Inoue but still highly touted back in their days - is arguably more impressive, even if I get your point.

Last edited:
Well said. It takes some effort to get us to use our minds on a positive topic. I stand by my assessment though. Boxing fans are the most intelligent (and lazy) of any sport.
boxing fans are that meme with the guy stressed out as to which button to press. One button says "potential Soto-Kyoguchi matchup in the works, who you taking?" and the other says "Cus era Tyson vs Floy who you got if Floy can't duck?" and then they just slam their hands down on the latter button.

The way he offed Darchynian and Montiel - two fighters inferior to Inoue but still highly touted back in their days - is arguably more impressive, even if I get your point.
I get what you are saying but Darchinyan was written off after that and he got blasted by Walters who also did a number on Donaire shortly after that. Then Lomachenko a few fights later made Walters quit so all these guys looked like shit in retrospect.

I get what you are saying but Darchinyan was written off after that and he got blasted by Walters who also did a number on Donaire shortly after that. Then Lomachenko a few fights later made Walters quit so all these guys looked like shit in retrospect.
Darch beat Mijares after losing to Nonito the first time! If anything, I think he gained more credibility after his first loss to Nonito, because he ended up on the P4P list briefly and was widely regarded as the best SFLW

Darch beat Mijares after losing to Nonito the first time! If anything, I think he gained more credibility after his first loss to Nonito, because he ended up on the P4P list briefly and was widely regarded as the best SFLW
The first fight yeah! I'm talking about the second fight.

The first fight yeah! I'm talking about the second fight.
oh well yeah, the second fight was just used to rebuild his career after getting embarassed by Rigo

speaking of Rigo, if we're talking about the most shamefully avoided and ducked fighter of 95-20 era, he has a pretty strong case. We'd be talking about Rigo being in hte top 5-10 of the era if Frampton, Mares, LSC, Nishioka, Vargas, Roman, Walters, John, Yamanaka and a bunch of others hadn't avoided him entirely (there's a bit of flexibility in how hard you can claim some of these guys avoided Rigo, but the point, broadly, is nobody was going out of hteir way to fight him, cause he'd have beaten them all).

oh well yeah, the second fight was just used to rebuild his career after getting embarassed by Rigo

speaking of Rigo, if we're talking about the most shamefully avoided and ducked fighter of 95-20 era, he has a pretty strong case. We'd be talking about Rigo being in hte top 5-10 of the era if Frampton, Mares, LSC, Nishioka, Vargas, Roman, Walters, John, Yamanaka and a bunch of others hadn't avoided him entirely (there's a bit of flexibility in how hard you can claim some of these guys avoided Rigo, but the point, broadly, is nobody was going out of hteir way to fight him, cause he'd have beaten them all).
Yeah I won't argue that Rigo was one of the most avoided fighters in history.

The thing with Donaire is that I feel like his greatest moment was giving Inoue problems. He looked shot before that but he proved in that fight that he still had something.

Might have to go rewatch it after reading this, such a great fight. Even if the ref somehow didn't count to 10 when Donaire was on the ground.

1. Mayweather - unimpeachable skill. Perfect record. Brilliant careerist, which is part of the game. For better and for worse he knew who to fight and when to fight them.

2. Pacquiao - Been watching boxing my whole life. He’s the greatest talent I’ve ever seen.

3. RJJ - Phenomenal. Hung around too long.

4. JMM - Fought everybody, win or lose. Tremendous technician.

5 Cotto - Fought everyone. The Moseley win is a better W than some of the names on this list have. His whole career from 2000 ish spans titles in 4 divisions iirc. Underrated and under appreciated.

6. Calzaghe - retired undefeated. Whirling dervish of a puncher and a lefty with a strong chin. A nightmare for anyone.

7. Hopkins - Great skill and longevity. Fell short against the tip top guys around his size. Dirty fighter.

8. Ward - Great footwork and infighting. Really smart. Lost to Kovalev the first time. Cheated Kessler. Great fighter but dirty and boring, inactive.

9. Lomachenko - tremendous skill. Some incredible performances. Needs to come back from the Lopez loss to cement his place.

10. Canelo - He’s solidified his place at 168. IMO, he never did close the deal at 160 cause he’s 1-1 verse Golovkin and the Kovalev fight didn’t make him the man at 175 either. Still, he’s a wonderful fighter and 3/4 division champ/titlist. He’s 2-3 wins away from leapfrogging all but the top 3 on this list.

Honorable Mention:
Golovkin - needs to square things up with Canelo and/or show more ambition and move up in weight/clean out 160

Off the top of my head, maybe forgetting someone or have to move some around but...

1. Mayweather - anyone who doesn't have him #1 doesn't know boxing, and there seem to be a lot here lol
2. Pacman
3. Roy Jones
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Wladimir Klitschko
6. Canelo Alvarez
7. Andre Ward
8. James Toney
9. Lennox Lewis
10. Calzaghe

This is going by the thread's specifications of 1995-2000. If it was 1990-2000 or 1985-2000, the list would look different - 1990-2000 I'd have Lennox a lot higher and Pernell and Finito Lopez on the list. I didn't include Whitaker because IMO he was past his prime, by 1997 he looked awful against Hurtado before the KO. And if we shift the list from 2000-2025, obviously Canelo has a lot of room to climb.

Well that's where he wants to be. There's enough money for the Smith fight. He's going to get knocked out

Joe Smith is very beatable but you don’t half-ass your effort against him if you don’t want to go to sleep.

Joe Smith is very beatable but you don’t half-ass your effort against him if you don’t want to go to sleep.

Of course he is and dwe'll install a game plan but that won't help sadly

When Nonito cut ties with Victor Conte his performances sucked. I remember when he hooked up with Conte he was looking like a monster breaking bones, knocking dudes out cold.

Then he leaves Conte and looks like he cant pull the trigger against Rigo.

Whats funny is how HBO was on this Filipino fetish because of Pacquiao, I mean was the philipine market really that big or where they just trying to throw Nonito out there to ride off Pacquiaos name? I remember an article that said some fighter named Mercito Gesta was the next Manny Pacquiao it was in a San Diego news paper lol.

I remember also Brian Viloria was the guy being pushed before Nonito and then Brian didnt perform on his biggest stage he lost and it was a lazy performance then HBO latched onto Nonito to try to push him. Nonito his fight with Rigo was his biggest stage that fight was hyped up big time and all the HBO guys even Roy Jones were hyping Nonito up and said if he beats Rigo you gotta put him best pound 4 pound of in consideration

He lost and then fell off became a capable fighter but didnt have that momentum anymore. He also almost lost to Vic Darchinyan who was out boxing him in a rematch until he knocked him out late.

Nonito could have legit been a top ATG of his era but he failed when it counted most, The question now is he a first ballot hall of famer?

Im curious what are the accomplishments of Micheal Gomez I never really heard of him the name sounds familiar?

he was a domestic/European level fighter during the late 90s-00s. Always wore a sombrero in to the ring, though he isn’t Mexican. His nickname and sombrero were to do with his fighting style

Not the greatest fighter but a great fighter to watch

Andrew Golota
Hector Camacho Jr.
Oba Carr
Michael Grant
David Reid
Prince Nas
Jeff Lacy
Adrien Broner
Golden Johnson
Floyd Mayweather

Back