For me its
1. Khamzat
2. Colby
3. Islam
4. Usman
5. Burns

they are all in similar weight too
and could possibly fight some day.

there is a toss up between colby and khamzat. i would give khamzat the edge because of his strength advantage.

For me its
1. Khamzat
2. Colby
3. Islam
4. Usman
5. Burns

they are all in similar weight too
and could possibly fight some day.

there is a toss up between colby and khamzat. i would give khamzat the edge because of his strength advantage.
usman maintains a 100% TDD against colby. maybe pure wrestling yes, but in mma usmans wrestling is superior. not taking away from colby at all. id still put him in your top five, but id swap usman with cobly. colby is 0-11 takedowns against usman while usman is 1-1 in the second fight. in the first fight there were zero takedowns and zero attempts. so usman has a 100% takedown rate on colby while colbys takedown rate against usman remains at zero.

Damn, you put Colby, Usman, and Burns way too high imho. Burns has great jiujitsu but he rarely implements it greatly in MMA. He can't even submit hopeless Wonderboy. Usman has 1 sub win in his career and Colby has no submission win at all in UFC. They are good wrestler but not as good as a grappler.

My list:
1. Makhacev
2. Arman Tsarukyan (so far he is the only one putting up good fight with Makhacev)
3. Gamrot (put up a very great fight with Arman)
4. Khamzat
5. Dariush (he beat Gamrot and defended most of his takedown, but I still favor Gamrot if it ever comes to the ground)

First of all wrestling and grappling aren't the same, but here we go anyway.

1. Islam
2. Shavkat
3. Khamzat
4. Arman
5. Colin Mcgobber, he knows the secret techniques to beat them all, he said so on Twitter.

Last edited:
usman maintains a 100% TDD against colby. maybe pure wrestling yes, but in mma usmans wrestling is superior. not taking away from colby at all. id still put him in your top five, but id swap usman with cobly. colby is 0-11 takedowns against usman while usman is 1-1 in the second fight. in the first fight there were zero takedowns and zero attempts. so usman has a 100% takedown rate on colby while colbys takedown rate against usman remains at zero.

Is this Jimmy Two Times from Goodfellas?

Burns
Islam
Sterling
Khamzat
Carla Esparza

These 4, not counting Carla, are complete grapplers who wrestle at a high level but also have elite submission grappling.

They take the back whenever they want, have submission finishes, are good at advancing positions, etc.

Most wrestlers get takedowns and sit in guard until the bell rings but this new wave of complete elite grapplers bring MMA to another level.

Reactions: G10

1. Islam
2. Shavkat
3. Khamzat
4. Arman
5. Colin Mcgobber, he knows the secret techniques to beat them all, he said so on Twitter.

McBrokenleg almost took Nate Diaz down, he deserves #2 at a minimum.

1. Charles Oliveira
2. Jon Jones/Brian Ortega (if jones is retired)
3. Kamaru Usman
4. Ryan Hall
5. Gilbert Burns

I know I'm rather bias towards Jiu Jitsu rather than wrestling, and Islam deffo makes my top 10. Probably sitting around 7 or 8 for me right now. Just want to see him do it to higher competition, Oliveira has consistently done it to a high level. Islam did do it to Oliveira, but my list is based off of consistency.

Colby got a TD on Usman just fyi. Usman said as much.

1. Islam
2. Shavkat
3. Khamzat
4. Arman

Conor can do everything he wants and nobody can stop him. He even managed to make Gaethje do some questionable thing.

Colby got a TD on Usman just fyi. Usman said as much.

That TD would've counted on a wrestling match.
The punches/kicks/etc... would've gotten them both disqualified in said wrestling match.

Serious question: When Usman grabbed the cage, what do the rules state?

Should the ref:
Have put them on the mat?
Taken a point?
Something else?

I would say in no particular order

Islam
Khamzat
Oliveira
Muniz
Arman

Those are just the names that stand out for me. I'm sure there's some lesser known guys that deserve to be on the list that I'm overlooking.

Pound for pound?

Cejudo
Islam
Gamrot
Arman
Paul Craig

Khamzat
Islam
Nickal
Cejudo
Not sure about 5. Also, not sure about the order. They all have different styles and things they excel at, and are in different stages of their careers

Last edited:
Cejudo
Madsen
Nickal
Islam
Olivera

If you don't have meaningfully above-average wrestling, you don't have top 5 MMA grappling, within the context of modern MMA.

The old-school "BJJ master with limited wrestling" simply doesn't measure up these days.

Even Maia (who improved his wrestling tons relative to most BJJ guys) eventually ran into a brick wall when across from mega MMA wrestlers Woodley, Colby, and Usman, albeit at an advanced age.

Back