Social Poverty in Britain - Why are millions of Brits so broke?

Can I be taken in as a refugee if, as an Englishman, I go to France on a raft, then walk to Thailand, and to to Japan on a raft?

We they're importing millions of poor immigrants. Are those poor immigrants being included in this number? What percentage of actual British people are broke?

Because capitalism. No disrespect to capitalism but you combine with a society that was built on the idea that one class was inherently better and entitled to more ("inherit" and "titled", how about that, lol), you're going to end up with an economic system where money stays with the monied because the class system positions part of the society to reap more benefits from capitalism.

The US isn't significantly better but we don't have an entrenched class system that implies a right to economic superiority.

Can I be taken in as a refugee if, as an Englishman, I go to France on a raft, then walk to Thailand, and to to Japan on a raft?

No. You will have to conquer the locals if you want to stay there. I’m sure you will though

We they're importing millions of poor immigrants. Are those poor immigrants being included in this number? What percentage of actual British people are broke?

The headline figure is 13.4 million (20% of population)

Poverty is defined as 60% below median household income after housing costs, which is roughly £14000. Minimum wage is £21673.

So I as a single male paying £1000 per month rent would be classed as living in poverty if I earned £25k a year (a decent wage in most places)

Yet 5 migrants in a shared house wouldn't if they were earning minimum wage.

Not exactly hard to imagine considering how insane the electricity prices were during the winter, and they got hit with the Covid money printing inflation that everyone else was hit with. They also had high levels of income inequality pre-Covid - other western European states have less disparity. By the way the electricity situation only happened because the UK defaulted on an IMF loan, and this resulted in the national electric company getting privatized. This is what the IMF does: they give loans that they know a country won't be able to pay off, leech on the country through interest payments and stifle its' growth, and then go for a power grab by privatizing national natural resources and infrastructure when the inevitable default happens. Meanwhile the MSM presents them as some sort of saviour, philanthropic organization. You gotta be straight up stupid to not notice that establishment media is in the business of professional lying and propaganda.

Isnt the monthly tax on a gross salary also an issue,tax takes too much

Shit country, shit people, shit economy.

giphy.webp

And still controls America.

Isnt the monthly tax on a gross salary also an issue,tax takes too much

20% under £50k, 40% between £50-150k + national insurance which is 12%

Gross tax isn't really an issue. However there is virtually no other service or commodity that also doesn't attract a tax. VAT is 20% on most goods, council tax, stamp duty on house sales, tax on fuel, insurance policies, green levy on gas & electric etc. Tax on alcohol and tobacco. Even interest on savings is taxed.

If you're earning £100k and spend most of it then a substantial portion goes straight back into the Exchequer.

Having been there I always felt that British wages were low relative to the cost of living, which is much higher than here. I couldn't figure how most people made ends meet.

20% under £50k, 40% between £50-150k + national insurance which is 12%

Gross tax isn't really an issue. However there is virtually no other service or commodity that also doesn't attract a tax. VAT is 20% on most goods, council tax, stamp duty on house sales, tax on fuel, insurance policies, green levy on gas & electric etc. Tax on alcohol and tobacco. Even interest on savings is taxed.

If you're earning £100k and spend most of it then a substantial portion goes straight back into the Exchequer.

There are quite a few things which are 5% or 0 VAT.

There is no stamp duty on houses under £250,000 in England and Northern Ireland and as the average house price in the UK is £286,000 that's quite a lot of them. It's £425,000 for first time buyers. In Scotland the threshold is £145,000 or £175,000 for first time buyers and in Wales it's £225,000 for everyone.

Most long term insurance such as life or income protection insurance is not taxed (neither when you pay or they pay out).

Obviously if you are rich you can do all kinds of shenanigans to avoid tax but most people can get up to £1000 interest per year without tax and some get up to £5000. It's very complicated and I don't know all the permutations. Anyone can have up to £20k in a tax free ISA. They pay below the inflation rate but that's a separate issue.

Income Tax (it's 1 or 2% different in Scotland):

up to £12,750: 0
£12,751 to £50,270: 20%
£50,271 to £125,140: 40%
over £125,140: 45%

For most people NI is 0 on earnings under £242 a week, 12% on earnings over £242 a week and 2% on earnings over £967 a week.

Last edited:
Having been there I always felt that British wages were low relative to the cost of living, which is much higher than here. I couldn't figure how most people made ends meet.

Depends where you go, cost of living in London is high but up North it's not too bad.

Why even bring up unemployment rate? It has no relation to wealth lol

For very rich ppl ofc no.
For average joe, sorry, the higher is unemployment % in your area for ppl with experience in job you are looking for...the esasier for business is to press DOWN your salary offer...

Supply- demand.

Plus ofc interest rates increase by BoE isn't good thing for average joe.

Talks how cool is Brexit too were blantant lies.
With EU citizens to deal with was easy peasy, they didn't had easy route to benefits... unlike refugees etc.

1. Seasonal workers still are hired and sorry, even from non EU countries. Fruit pickers etc.
2. Contractors brigades from foreign countries for short term tasks still are working.
3. With so called skilled migrants brexit didn't had helped to deal with at all cos they does have education and proven experience and companies still will hire them and they will get permit.

4. With outsourcing and outstaffing brexit didn't helped to deal with at all cos it is remote work without mando necessity to relocate to U.K.
Large % of call centers, outsource companies - middlemans with programmers etc...remote stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back