Power of the slap knee

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys

Am I correct in thinking that the power of the slap knee comes from turning your hips slightly over (thus driving the top of your knee cap in towards the rib area) towards the end of the movement? I've seen people kick their leg back and draw really large circles with their slap knees but from personal experience this doesn't seem to help much (apart from alerting to the judges to give you points).

Any tips?

Tagging my bros @AndyMaBobs @Lucas Coradini @Frode Falch @shincheckin - aka the people who actually know what they are doing

EDIT: also yes I know the slap knee isn't meant to be the strongest knee per say but it should hurt more than a little slap

Hey guys

Am I correct in thinking that the power of the slap knee comes from turning your hips slightly over (thus driving the top of your knee cap in towards the rib area) towards the end of the movement? I've seen people kick their leg back and draw really large circles with their slap knees but from personal experience this doesn't seem to help much (apart from alerting to the judges to give you points).

Any tips?

Tagging my bros @AndyMaBobs @Lucas Coradini @Frode Falch @shincheckin - aka the people who actually know what they are doing

EDIT: also yes I know the slap knee isn't meant to be the strongest knee per say but it should hurt more than a little slap

I am not sure what you mean with the slap knee? If you mean these bullshit knees they do for points in stadiums with the thighs then there is no power in there.

If you mean these knees where their upper body is horizontal and they throw their hips in the front using a circular motion, then I disagree as it can generate an enormous amount of power. Literally one of hardest way a uman body can hit something, IMO.

Hey guys

Any tips?

I would personally advise against them, they don't hurt and unless you're fighting in Thailand they aren't going to score. I'd instead recommend this:

Similar angle you can get it from.

If you're aim is to compete, focus on how to be successful domestically - because in order to fight in big stadiums you'll need to spend a lot of time on a Thai camp with the right connections.

Don't know if it's the sort of answer you're looking for but it's my 2cents

It's funny, because at range I'm a potshotter, but in the clinch I throw a lot of volume, so I end up throwing a lot of these (if I'm picturing what you're saying correctly, hips squared against each other)

In my opinion trying too much to hurt somebody with it is not the smartest strategy because you'll spend a lot of energy, both if you just "muscle it" with your adductors or if you skip. I do because I don't have common sense <45>

So answering your question, power will come from these two things: exerting strength with the inner muscles of your thighs or doing a skip step. But be fit or die trying <Moves>

It's funny, because at range I'm a potshotter, but in the clinch I throw a lot of volume, so I end up throwing a lot of these (if I'm picturing what you're saying correctly, hips squared against each other)

In my opinion trying too much to hurt somebody with it is not the smartest strategy because you'll spend a lot of energy, both if you just "muscle it" with your adductors or if you skip. I do because I don't have common sense <45>

So answering your question, power will come from these two things: exerting strength with the inner muscles of your thighs or doing a skip step. But be fit or die trying <Moves>
Using it as a spammed power strike is also a great way to be swept on your ass.<45>

Am I correct in thinking that the power of the slap knee comes from turning your hips slightly over (thus driving the top of your knee cap in towards the rib area)

thats how I would describe it, you need to use your hip. This is something really hard to explain over the internet. If you do these big wind up knees, and you do them correctly, they are very powerful, and the wind up does help with the power.

I would personally advise against them, they don't hurt and unless you're fighting in Thailand they aren't going to score. I'd instead recommend this:

Similar angle you can get it from.

If you're aim is to compete, focus on how to be successful domestically - because in order to fight in big stadiums you'll need to spend a lot of time on a Thai camp with the right connections.

Don't know if it's the sort of answer you're looking for but it's my 2cents

Thanks Andy. I've seen this knee before (where you swing your arms to the side rather than down). Doesn't that motion (of swinging your arms to the side) leave your face open though?

Thanks Andy. I've seen this knee before (where you swing your arms to the side rather than down). Doesn't that motion (of swinging your arms to the side) leave your face open though?

You're always going to be open for some sort of counter - not no, you're not as open as you would be on an American style lean back knee, because you're more balanced in Yodkhunpon's stance

You're always going to be open for some sort of counter - not no, you're not as open as you would be on an American style lean back knee, because you're more balanced in Yodkhunpon's stance
that's true but if you don't lean back and your hands are twisted to the side...what stops your opponent elbowing you?

I'm a TKD guy with only some MT from an old KB club, but I always drilled my knee's with my shoulders ahead of my hips. I have a hip rotation, but my stance feels like it drives forward harder shoulders forward. Seems like I started seeing the lean back in MMA and tried it for a while, but stuck to the old habits.Glad to have that reinforcement from you.

My side knee's are really chambered round house's because I've never found solid mechanics for them, so I just use them to warm up my hips. I guess I'd have to have my shoulders and hips at a 45 degree angle or more to generate power.

Back