*** Power Slap Championship Discussion MEGA THREAD ***Power Slap 7 Friday April 12 9pm EST

Do you love or hate Power Slap (Fighting)?

• Total voters
rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

It's not too late I think a 24hr window after initial air time to watch is fair. Go on get that OG status..
Ok I watched it. I can't lie - I was in a state of mixed disbelief, marvel, and confusion.

The KOs are indeed ridiculously compelling. But the constant thought throughout is "WTF am I watching and why would anyone do this, sanction this, or talk this up as though it's anything more than a circus sideshow?"

And the answer is, of course, money. To see Dana and a couple of unknown guys with no more credibility than they've slapped a lot of ppl's faces, talk about contenders as "kids" (one balding guy in his late 40s was a "kid" to Dana, as though he was a fighter - he was actually an old man who was out of options other than getting slap KO'd on TV for money or fame or neither) and "fighters" (this is NOT fighting and these guys are NOT fighters) is ridiculous. At times, I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

I mean, it's a spectacle, no doubt about it. But.... is this a show? A product? Like, is there enough to keep me watching week after week? It's like Fight Circus - it's fun and silly BUT the difference is Fight Circus knows and admits it's fun and silly, while this comes with a metric tonne of hype, talking up these guys as fighters, and talking up the freakshow as a sport, and talking up the production as "professional" level.

It was a mind-bending hour of programming, and there were indeed some truly slapstick (as well as truly concerning) KOs. I don't know who's losing brain cells faster - the contestants or the viewers.

If you did away with the hype of trying to make it seem like a legit product, and the talking up of the "skill" and "potential" of the fighters - if you JUST marched them in and had them each slap each other without their back stories or the coaches discussing their "performance", it would be a better product.

If you added kitschy things like half-naked women, clowns, ridiculous contests (beyond the main slap contest, which is indeed ridiculous), etc., it would be a better product.

The main drawback to this product is that it takes itself seriously.

They even went so far as to plant a "fake slap fight" - had an MMA fighter go in there and pretend to not know how to slap (no wind up at all, totally stiff, impact of a small child) to "show and prove" that there is a skill component and "even if you're a fighter it doesn't mean you have the skill of a slap fighter - it's a whole different skill". The jobber who pretended to not be able to slap couldn't even keep a straight face. No lie, he was smirking at the ridiculousness of his own performance, and probably of the whole event.

White Power Slap is a shit show. I might watch another episode or not. But it's a shit show. With some KO's that are, sadly, impossible not to laugh at.

It's dark comedy, essentially.

Last edited:
I am not watching this mess.

Peek Sherdog are the people saying "They're adults they can make their own decision" as if this isn't clearly a bunch of mentally ill people that Dana has promised fame and fortune to if they come to his studio and get slapped for peanuts.

Smooth brains

None of them seem like they have a brain to scramble. It's like watching drunk frat boys. Hard pass

Ok I watched it. I can't lie - I was in a state of mixed disbelief, marvel, and confusion.

The KOs are indeed ridiculously compelling. But the constant thought throughout is "WTF am I watching and why would anyone do this, sanction this, or talk this up as though it's anything more than a circus sideshow?"

And the answer is, of course, money. To see Dana and a couple of unknown guys with no more credibility than they've slapped a lot of ppl's faces, talk about contenders as "kids" (one balding guy in his late 40s was a "kid" to Dana, as though he was a fighter - he was actually an old man who was out of options other than getting slap KO'd on TV for money or fame or neither) and "fighters" (this is NOT fighting and these guys are NOT fighters) is ridiculous. At times, I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

I mean, it's a spectacle, no doubt about it. But.... is this a show? A product? Like, is there enough to keep me watching week after week? It's like Fight Circus - it's fun and silly BUT the difference is Fight Circus knows and admits it's fun and silly, while this comes with a metric tonne of hype, talking up these guys as fighters, and talking up the freakshow as a sport, and talking up the production as "professional" level.

It was a mind-bending hour of programming, and there were indeed some truly slapstick (as well as truly concerning) KOs. I don't know who's losing brain cells faster - the contestants or the viewers.

If you did away with the hype of trying to make it seem like a legit product, and the talking up of the "skill" and "potential" of the fighters - if you JUST marched them in and had them each slap each other without their back stories or the coaches discussing their "performance", it would be a better product.

If you added kitschy things like half-naked women, clowns, ridiculous contests (beyond the main slap contest, which is indeed ridiculous), etc., it would be a better product.

The main drawback to this product is that it takes itself seriously.

They even went so far as to plant a "fake slap fight" - had an MMA fighter go in there and pretend to not know how to slap (no wind up at all, totally stiff, impact of a small child) to "show and prove" that there is a skill component and "even if you're a fighter it doesn't mean you have the skill of a slap fighter - it's a whole different skill". The jobber who pretended to not be able to slap couldn't even keep a straight face. No lie, he was smirking at the ridiculousness of his own performance, and probably of the whole event.

White Power Slap is a shit show. I might watch another episode or not. But it's a shit show. With some KO's that are, sadly, impossible not to laugh at.

It's dark comedy, essentially.
These are not the words of an OG sadly your privileges have been revoked.

"Who can survive a stabbing?" Dude, don't give the pink goof any ideas.

People get stiffened in MMA and boxing, too. Any kid could tell you it's bad to get hit in the head over and over again (or even once), but somehow it's more disturbing and shocking when it comes from slapping?

Just to be clear, I think the whole concept is stupid. But it's also stupid to act like this is singularly "sad" and "exploitation" while combat sports exist.

People get stiffened in MMA and boxing, too. Any kid could tell you it's bad to get hit in the head over and over again (or even once), but somehow it's more disturbing and shocking when it comes from slapping?

Just to be clear, I think the whole concept is stupid. But it's also stupid to act like this is singularly "sad" and "exploitation" while combat sports exist.
Yes, but fighting is a contest that involves a lot more than simply getting hit in the head. There is even the option to barely ever get hit in the head. The KO is not the most frequent way of winning. And you never just stand there and brace for a man to wind up and hit you his absolute hardest, with the express goal of hurting your brain. You have defense.

Here, idiots just stand up in one spot and let a guy throw his hardest possible strike at them. There is no ducking and weaving, ducking under for a take down.... your brain gets no rest. If you somehow survive the first slap, you have 60 seconds before the next one. By the third slap, even if you didn't go unconscious, you may have taken as much brain trauma as in a 15 minute fight, depending on fight style.

Fighting is an art where brain trauma MAY NOT come into the equation (of course, it often does). Slap "fighting" is a contest, but not an art, where brain trauma IS the ENTIRE equation.

Back