PPV numbers tanked this year

CalvilloRay

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
best selling pay per view was Jones Cormier 2 at like 850,000 or something

Nunes vs shevchenko was an all time low at 100k

Ufc 216 only did 120k

WME IMG bought the company after the UFC did 5 events that broke 1 mil lolol poor guys

Haha, remember that meme about nunes being a draw because she was on a whole bunch of stacked cards?

I think a guy actually thought she was a draw. It's funny.

Who gives a fuck about PPV numbers. Just watch the fights

We still have GSP vs Bisping and possibly Mcgregor vs Somebody in December. Jones is the biggest star that has fought in the UFC this year so far.

Yes no Tank Abbott = tanked PPV sales

tank.jpg

UFC has had up and down years. They will get a much bigger TV deal which will make the company a lot of money.

Been a down year though. Lot of cards that were already just average got hurt by people falling out the day before..

Next year they could have McGregor fight a few times. GSP if he beats Bisping will have a few. They should bounce back a bit.

217 should do pretty good, and they always have the next Conor ppv to look forward to..

Or, did number of worthwhile ppv cards tank first?
<seedat>

UFChas put on really shitty PPVs. Only ones I've bought this year have been 211 and 214. Will buy 218 (not 217 because they allowed Bisping to duck all of the contenders).

Most of the others have been dogshit. Like seriously, Holm vs. GDR, Nunes vs. Shevchenko, and glorified #1 contender fights with fake belts are not PPV worthy.

Conor losing to Mayweather won't help either when he comes back. Having your biggest star look like a chump in front of the biggest audience in recent history doesn't help turn the casuals to MMA. In my humble opinion of course.

I was shocked by the Ferguson vs Lee event only doing 125k, that's when it got real for me. They seemed to put a solid promotional effort behind it and it was a fairly deep card, one that you'd expect to at least double what it did.

I feel like we've had this thread 30 times already.

Who gives a fuck about PPV numbers. Just watch the fights
It's rather important because it effects the number of cards and fights we can watch, the growth/retraction of the sport, the number of good athletes that enter MMA, and so on.

Youd like to think WME-IMG knew what they were buying. Many fans knew that big PPV numbers were tied to the big stars (Conor,Ronda,Brock,Jones) and that without them, the UFC doesn't do well on PPV. And we had an idea of all of these fighters' shelf lives. Surely Ari and Patrick knew this stuff too.

yeah cuz they put on shit cards, and everyone is a pull out artist these days

I was shocked by the Ferguson vs Lee event only doing 125k, that's when it got real for me. They seemed to put a solid promotional effort behind it and it was a fairly deep card, one that you'd expect to at least double what it did.

UFC 216 was not a deep card. Especially the PPV portion.

#1contender fight where the champ probably won't fight the winner anyway

FLW title that fee care about anyway, complete and total squash match everyone knew was pointless. President of UFC publicly said it was a shitty fight beforehand.

HW squash match, last second yes but still a squash match.

Shitty WMMA cans

Lightweight fight between a journeyman and bottom of the top ten guy. Decent fight, not worth paying for directly imo.

Card was not nearly worth the asking price on paper.

Haha, remember that meme about nunes being a draw because she was on a whole bunch of stacked cards?
It is either that or everyone got upset about her pulling out the very last second of the previous card.

True. Khabib vs Ferguson was a fight people wanted to see and many were convinced that card would sell big. Now I'm not so sure if even good match ups will sell big. I'm sure WME-IMG has back up plans and know how to make money but the days of 400k-500k meh PPV's are long gone and it looks like 100-200k PPV's are here to stay. The novelty of MMA has worn off and only legitimately big fights (Jones vs. Cormier 2) or PPV draws (Conor and Ronda) will draw. Extremely stacked cards aren't even guaranteed to draw big anymore, they may under perform. It's funny people wanted to blame MM for the poor numbers but he wasn't even the headliner and besides most of the recent PPV's are near the 100k region.

Back