Prime Gomi - how would he fair against today's top lightweights?

Who does prime Gomi beat?

• Total voters
Imo hard to say

Guy got old or primed so quick it's tough for me to say if he wasn't that good or just got past so quickly based on his no feet straightforward style I honestly doubt it though he gets past today's latest and greatest

Thinking he loses to the four best LW fighters in the world is not disrespecting him.

Gomi is an ATG and a pioneer of the lighter weights but his style of throwing fastball bombs is going to get him picked apart by someone like Dustin Poirier.

That wasn't how Prime Gomi fought though. That was how he fought towards the end of his career. He was actually quite methodical in breaking his opponents down before the big KO. People talk like all he did was come out guns blazing because all they've seen of him was his later fights and his highlights.

That wasn't how Prime Gomi fought though. That was how he fought towards the end of his career. He was actually quite methodical in breaking his opponents down before the big KO. People talk like all he did was come out guns blazing because all they've seen of him was his later fights and his highlights.

He was pretty partial to bomb throwing even in his prime. He was a lot better at timing them though rather than winging them hopefully. But he always threw punches in that style.

I just don't think he'd translate well to the modern era, though I do love the guy, I just can't think of anyone fighting in a particularly similar way to him who's currently doing well.

Don't have to get all petty and angry every time someone has a differing opinion. Makes you look insecure.

Petty and angry?

You sounded stupid. I said you sounded stupid. And you sound stupid.

He was pretty partial to bomb throwing even in his prime. He was a lot better at timing them though rather than winging them hopefully. But he always threw punches in that style.

I just don't think he'd translate well to the modern era, though I do love the guy, I just can't think of anyone fighting in a particularly similar way to him who's currently doing well.

Gomi's style is just one of a kind though. I can't think of many similar fighters other than maybe Lawler. Just good enough at wrestling to keep most fights standing. Threw power in most of their punches but, in their primes, paced themselves and broke their opponents down rather than go for broke. Had the chin to eat punches in order to land their own. Generational power.

Gomi has more than a punchers chance against Gaethje Poirier and Ferguson. Those are all fun fights given all of their tendencies to go for broke. Ferguson may be too crazy for Gomi though.

Khabib is really the kind of fighter that Gomi would lose to 100% of the time. Someone who commits to dragging him on the ground and drowning him, like Penn and Aurelio did.

Petty and angry?

You sounded stupid. I said you sounded stupid. And you sound stupid.
If you disagree with someone and can't articulate why without immediately going into insults and name calling, that sounds pretty childish and petty.

We saw what Marcus Aurelius did to him,so i dont understand why ppl think in a ring or cage with Khabib would go well for him..

Last edited:
His best chance would probably be against Justin and Dustin,because going blow for blow with Gomi is the worst thing u can do,and these guys tend to end up in brawls

Guy’s a fish out of the water. He’s nothing but a overrated product of Chinese MMA just like Gilbert Melendez was.

His best wins are Tyson Griffin and Melvin Guillard. Overrated.

Not sheriff srs lol @ 2018 accounts. Take off that Rampage avy noob

Mach, Kawajiri, Pulver, Azeredo, Aurelio, Ishida etc. Also should've prolly got the Hellboy nod

Gomi is the first guy to beat Santos too who is still currently undefeated in the UFC as a 40yo part time fighter @ 7-0-1, and beaten Martins, Rocco, Ray, Escudero and finished Kevin Lee lol

We saw what Marcus Aurelius did to him,so i dont understand why ppl think in a ring with Khabib would go well for him..

Khabib would beat him for sure. Too big and too dominant a judo/sambo gurappler but Gomi did also beat Aurelio in the rematch

Last edited:
Not sheriff srs lol @ 2018 accounts

Mach, Kawajiri, Pulver, Azeredo, Aurelio, Ishida etc. Also should've prolly got the Hellboy nod

Gomi is the first guy to beat Santos too who is still currently undefeated in the UFC as a 40yo part time fighter @ 7-0-1, and beaten Martins, Rocco, Ray, Escudero and finished Kevin Lee lol

Khabib would beat him for sure. Too big and too dominant a judo/sambo gurappler but Gomi did also beat Aurelio in the rematch
He did but Khabib is a million times better than Aurelio anyway. He had to be pretty conservative to beat Marcus and just avoid him and kick at his legs, kinda like wandy against arona

It's debatable where primes begin and end, but Gomi has 16 losses. Sixteen losses. I think most reasonable fans recognize his prime was over before his ufc run. That still leaves us with the following losses:

Hansen
Penn
Aurelio
Golyaev
Diaz (let's be honest)

No shame losing to Penn and Hansen, but I have my doubts about how those guys would do in today's division. Getting subbed by Aurelio looks pretty bad. Getting subbed by Diaz isn't great either. Golyaev is an embarrassing loss.

It seems a bit dishonest to say he could lose to these guys but it's unthinkable he could lose to the top guys in what is now a much better division with far more depth. Modern lws are much larger too. There are multiple guys that are more technical strikers and could likely beat him there, and are better grapplers that could probably sub him or control him on the ground.

Loses to most guys in the top 15. This is why you can't compare guys like BJ Penn or even GSP to khabib. MMA was in its infancy in those days. Skill wise they've got nothing on the guys around today. That's just how the world works. You build and improve on what was befort.

Gomi fought alot of guys who were or could go to 145,and he looked almost like a WW in there.
He also just did not react to adversity well,see the first azeredo fight.

Loses to all 4. Maybe Gaethje he has a chance.

Anyone saying he stands a good chance against Tony or Khabib are just Pride guys stuck in 2007.

I could see Prime Gomi taking out Justin and Dustin.

Gomi besmirches Justin. Destroys Poirier. Might lose to Fergusson. Has a chance against Khabib.
{<jordan} The guy that got subbed by Aurelio, Kitaoka, KenFlo, Nate and Guida in the heart of his prime is gonna do any of that bullshit

Back