Prime Machida (2009 Rashad fight) vs Isael?

Ibm

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think we forget how good prime hungry Machida was, who gave Rashad his first loss who was a super fighter. Barely took any damage in any of his fights prior to his loss against Shogun. I got THAT version of Machida vs Israel winning. Who wins?

Unless Lyoto can work his grappling in successfully, he'd lose. Kinda like what he had to do against Sam Greco.

It's less to do with Lyoto being bad and more with Israel being that good on the feet, before you ask.

Prime Machida or even that version of Rashad would most likely beat Israel. Want to know why? Because both of them were skilled 205 pound fighters. MMA has weight classes for a reason!

Maybe Israel will gain weight and move up to 205 and be great, like how much better Alistair Overeem became when he moved up a weight class. We won't know until it happens.

Prime Machida at a catchweight, yeah I think I'd give him a slight edge and I'd expect him to work in his judo and ground game.

Prime Machida was a force to behold. He never even got touched before the first Shogun fight.

Prime Machida or even that version of Rashad would most likely beat Israel. Want to know why? Because both of them were skilled 205 pound fighters. MMA has weight classes for a reason!

Maybe Israel will gain weight and move up to 205 and be great, like how much better Alistair Overeem became when he moved up a weight class. We won't know until it happens.
Israel kickboxed at 100kg

Both were small 205ers

Israel at this point in his career is smart, like smarter than pretty much the vast majority of the UFC fighters on the roster today.

Hell, he might even be smarter than Jones who can figure out a weakness in every single contender that he faced and exploited those weaknesses.

I'd think that Izzy would come to the same conclusion that Shogun did in their first Machida fight and start striking the legs/body whenever he comes close within Machida's range. Wonder if Israel can dart backwards fast enough to avoid Machida's punches in return after the kicks though?

Either way, Izzy can strike at a single area at a safe distance so that Machida is forced to attack first, and then Izzy counters back with fast hands and one of them lands on the chin/temple or something.

Kind of like a mix of what happened between the Shogun fights 1 and 2.

The game has evolved. Israel is waaaaay ahead of those two. Not saysay they couldn't make a tough fight. But Israel takes it 9/10

You guys are really talking like striking has evolved so much in the last decade. It's been the same shit for decades now. Let's face it. This would be a striking match and a close one.

Of course the guy who got washed by past prime rampage , and TKO'D by dad bod shogun
would demolish Izzy lol yeah right. All you izzy haters answer me this.
Who would win a prime Yoel or prime Lyoto....ok then...

that said i do miss the 2007-2010 era of Zuffa UFC,

Last edited:
You guys are really talking like striking has evolved so much in the last decade. It's been the same shit for decades now. Let's face it. This would be a striking match and a close one.

this

Lyoto via boring decision

His trips/TDs would prolly be the difference, had a decent top game too.

The standup would be boring as hell

Back